German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Mental Health

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodger

PostPosted: 05/05/03, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Mental Health Reply with quote

Our GWP is just over 2. Healthy and as happy as can be. My wife and I purchased him at 18 months after he achieved his MH status. We love and adore him. We run him 4-5 miles in the morning and walk him 2-3 miles at night. He is with us at all times when we are at home, he even sleeps in the same room with us at night. BUT we are away during the day as much as 10 hours at a time- not every day. We try to get home to check on him around lunch When possible to play catch with him etc. I should also mention that he is outside during the day, - not in a kennel. A fenced back yard with room to roam, about 1/2 acre.
I hate leaving him for even an hour and we are going to get another GWP next year to help keep him company. (Sorry long post). What can we do in terms of toys, anything to keep him somewhat stimulated while we are away? Any suggestions? He is so smart and it just kills me to leave him.

Thank you in advance.
GWP Fan

PostPosted: 05/06/03, 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodger,
You can buy lots of toys, kongs, balls, rawhides, ect. Your dog should be fine though, he has it better than most and he will find things to do when he gets board. Your job will be keeping him supplied with enough toys so he doesn’t begin digging or destroying stuff. GWPs are smart, they will invent games to entertain themselves, but sometimes get in trouble in the process. Don’t worry too much, with a half acre to roam and plenty of toys he wont suffer while your gone. Do make sure he has a good dog house and such to escape the weather though.
Hope this helps.
Leslie Swisher

PostPosted: 05/06/03, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my dogs, favorite toys include kong toys and a buster cube. The buster cube is hard plastic about six inches on all sides with a hole that dispenses bits of kibble when manipulated in a particular way. My pup gets alot of entertainment from the buster cube. The package lists a website address www.bustercube.com , but I've not been able to pull it up on my computer.
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/06/03, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great thing is the knuckle bone. I've had mine for probably a month now and its just barely chewed down, keeps 'em busy for quite some time and she loves it!
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 05/07/03, 1:11 pm    Post subject: keep 'em busy Reply with quote

I use those sterilized bones and fill the inside with peanut butter. Keeps 'em busy til I get home! I also do that for long car trips.
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/31/03, 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodger,

I can almost guarantee you that your boy is neither lonely nor bored. He's sleeping!!! With the exercise you're giving him, I'd be shocked if he wasn't snoozing most of his day away.

I work at home and am with my 17-mo-old girl all day, every day. I'm amazed at how much she sleeps. More than any dog I've owned. And that's because she gets the right amount of exercise.

Knuckle bones are good. Big raw shank bones are great. But chances are, they'll just rot in the sun as your big boy snoozes away.

Illona
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/31/03, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodger,

I agree with Illona. Most dogs that are content (fed, watered, and exercised) will spend a good portion of the day just sleeping. Most have an internal clock and will wake up and become active just prior to the time you normally get home. I don’t think you have to worry too much about him getting bored. You’re probably going through more anxiety than he is (but, its good to see you love him that much).
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/17/03, 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doger:

Kongs, buster cubes, planet dog frisbees, marrow bones are all good toys. I use them all. You can hide them in different places in the yard so he is busy "hunting" for them. You may want to play a few games of "find it" with your dog first. Put him in a sit stay and walk away and hide the toy (in a very obvious place at first) then release him and tell him to "find it". Gradually hide it in trickier places.

Here is an awesome website with all kinds of things to do with the kong.
http://www.wagntrain.ca/kong.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: