German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

How much should he weight?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monolith

PostPosted: 01/14/08, 1:23 am    Post subject: How much should he weight? Reply with quote

I have a 7 months old GWP. He's healthy and has a lot of energy, but my father is worried that he hasn't got enough weight. Currently he has 28 kg (that's 61.729 lbs). Is this too little? What is the normal weight for a 7-month old?
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 01/14/08, 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is heavier than any 7-month old GWP that I have ever owned. I wouldn't worry unless you can see his bones (pelvis or vertebrae) through his coat.
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/14/08, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty heavy for that dog. Full grown mine is only 58-60 lbs.

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/15/08, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry; Dog can be from 25-34kgs (55-75 lbs) and Bitches 20 1/2-29kgs (45-64 lbs)( English Standard)
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/15/08, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tall is the dog?
Monolith

PostPosted: 01/17/08, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
How tall is the dog?

62 cm at shoulders (24.40 inches)
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/18/08, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62cm is 24.6 inches tall. At 61 lbs I don't think you have a problem, provided you can make out the outline of the dogs ribs. Keep the dog slender-no "padding" over the rib cage. Don't overdo the exercise-this pup is a little larger than most - tendons and cartiledge are a little soft at this age. Keep exercise sessions to 30-45 minutes couple of times/day and don't push the dog to do more than it wants. Keep down the rough hopusing with older dogs, especially if they are larger and much stronger.
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 02/08/08, 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like some thoughts on this topic, too. Three weeks ago, I adopted a 5-6 month old male GWP. He's probably mixed with something, but it's something tall. He's got all the expected energy for this age, and he's got a voracious appetite. He came to me pretty skinny and I'm not sure I'm keeping up with his caloric needs. We're going to weigh in at the vet's today, but my estimate is that he's gaining about a pound a week. Is this adequate? Can anybody give me a ballpark figure on appropriate weight gain per week or month so I can adjust how I feed my new guy?

Thanks,

Betsy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: