German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Hard mouth and dominance issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willy D

PostPosted: 01/10/08, 11:34 am    Post subject: Hard mouth and dominance issues Reply with quote

Hey All,
I've got a couple questions for ya. First of all I have recently become the proud papa of a second GWP. The first one, Mauser, male about 5yrs old, I've had for 3 years. Not many issues there, kinda A typical for a wirehair. Very laid back, not interested in the dominance game but doesn't like it played with him either. Energy level is what I would describe as middle of the road. Bloodlines unknown.
Now for the new one. Tori, is a Humane Society pup about 6yrs old with Treborwolf bloodlines. Almost a complete opposite of Mauser in energy and temperment. After spending several hours with her and a week thinking about it, as well as introducing the 2 dogs, we brought her home. I made it a requirement of the adoption that I get to speak with the previous owners. So after a lengthy discussion with them I felt we had made the right decision and went through with the adoption.
Immediately on arrival at the house we had dominance issues, Tori being the aggressor. A note to mention, this is not my first "strong willed" breed, but my first issue of it's kind with the GWP. We are starting to get a handle on it although sometimes it gets real old. When she shows signs of aggression, she's put into a submissive position while the other dog smells and/or stands over her. This is done as quietly and as calmly as possible, yet she has no choice in the matter. To a great extent this has worked well, but you still have to pay attention when they're both in the same room. Yet at other times, they share the couch. I wouldn't mind some input from folks, to see if I'm on the right track or not.
Now for the other question. In talking with the previous owner, Tori is sometimes very hard-mouthed. She'll even go as far as starting to eat the bird instead of bringing it back. Now, she has e-collar experience and we're using that in training, but how do I break this habit without taking away her desire to retrieve? I'm leery of using the collar to break her of this problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/12/08, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't seem to be getting much response-maybe if we start...

I think your bitch needs to be obedience trained and then force retrieved.
Discontinue all play retrieving and contact with game until you are through the process. In addition, I would institute passive dominance routines such as putting her food down but not allowing her to eat til permission is given, "whoaing" in and out of crate and through doors, etc, making her "down" whan other dogs or people approach, etc. Dog has to shift gears and start looking to you as far as what she may and may not do. With all of this, your dog's relationship with you will change. DO NOT get rough or punish--its persistence and consistency that makes this work. Don't give a command unless you follow through. Do it all without the collar first and then learn to overlay the collar later. If properly done, and if the dog is mentally sound, you should see no decrease in drive, in fact, it may get better because you won't be constantly correcting and the dog will be conditioned to make the right response.

If it will encourage you---one of the worse game eaters I ever saw, a GWP from the show circuit, ripped its first live duck to shreds after it caught it. This dog became a wonderful retrieving dog. It took three months.

Hope you get more ideas.
Sundowner

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try and stick the bird into some sort of stocking and ask to retrieve, then praise, lots of it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: