German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

12 yr old male vs. 2yr old male

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michiganwoody

PostPosted: 12/20/07, 7:16 pm    Post subject: 12 yr old male vs. 2yr old male Reply with quote

I have a 12 yr old male GWP that was always the low ranking dog behind a 13 yr old GSP. The GSP recently passed, and the GWP was terribly lonely. We rescued a beautiful 2 yr old male, but he's a bully, and is determined to establish his position in the house.

He never challenges me and understands I'm the boss. When I am home he won't challenge the 12 yr old, but he often does it when my wife is alone. The 12 yr old is submissive and has no interest in fighting, but has gotten to the point where he is afraid to be anywhere near the 2yr old. Total avoidance is the best way to describe his relationship with the newbie.

Now we feel terribly guilty that the 12 yr old is unhappy. The 2 yr old has never bitten him, but there has been growling and the usual bully posturing. I'm kind of stuck. I know it may have been better if I introduced a female instead, but that's water under the bridge. The 12 yr old has never warmed up to the newcomer and probably still misses his companion of 11yrs the GSP (even though he's been gone for a year). They were best friends and never got in a fight ever! Any suggestions?
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 12/21/07, 1:23 pm    Post subject: 12 yr old male vs. 2yr old male Reply with quote

Hi,

I have had the same situation happen at my home. I have three wires right now. One is 13 yrs old (Doc) who is neutered - a 5 yr old bitch (Sky) who is spayed and an 1 yr old intact male (Elmo). I got Elmo when he was four months old. All the dogs get along except once in awhile Elmo will challenge Doc & Sky (Doc has no interest in fighting and Sky is the alpha amongst the dogs). When I see Elmo messing with Doc I immediately put him in a down (even if I have to roll him to get it done). Sky always puts him in his place.

The best thing you can do is get the young male into some obedience classes so he learns that he really is not anybody!

Good Luck,

Cathy
Wickwire

PostPosted: 12/27/07, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with getting basic obedience training done with the two year old. I'd also consider involving an animal behaviorist to help establish the new dog in your home. Posturing and growling may not be a bad thing IF it helps the two dogs establish the new ground rules.

Sandra Wickwire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: