German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Kind of food?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowahunter671

PostPosted: 11/26/07, 2:10 pm    Post subject: Kind of food? Reply with quote

What is the best kind of food to feed a GWP, that isnt to expense but also good for the dog... We think Sam is around 1 to 2 yrs old...
FCwire

PostPosted: 12/20/07, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Best food Reply with quote

I'm really surprised you haven't got a ton of differing opinions, here! My personal recommendation would be Purina Lamb and Rice. Not too expensive (25$/for month or more), and my dogs have both done great on it. It all comes down to a few things: Go with a trusted brand, Hills, Purina, Iams are some (avoid Ol' Roy and the likes); Go with what your dog eats readily; Don't flip-flop between diets, pick one that works and stick with it. If you can't find it at the store when you need it, go to another store and get it. One other thing to consider: bulkiness. Depending on your dog, you may want a more or less bulky diet. For example, my first dog was on Hills for a while, because we got it free in vet school. She had BM's 2-3 times daily and had chronic problems with her anal glands. That stopped a couple of years later when Purina got on the bandwagon and started giving us free food, too. Now she and my youngest are on Purina, 1BM a day and I rarely have to deal with their anal glands. Some dogs may be different, they may handle any diet differently, but start with a small bag of Purina and see what that does.
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/21/07, 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed Pro Plan (Purina). Might be a little more expensive, but as my breeder told me, "you can pay for it now or pay for it at the vet later".

About a year ago I have a friend that had 6' of his setters intestine pulled out because there was something wrong. The dog was about 8 years old and had been fed Ol Roy his whole life.

I'm not saying that the food is what caused the condition, it may have happened feeding a good brand of food also.

Good luck, Chris

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/02/08, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a few moments to review web page www.homestead/VonHapsburg/petfood.html befor you look for any food.
Find out all you can and make an informed decision, it will save you a lot in the long run.
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 01/02/08, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.homestead.com/VonHapsburg/petfood.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: