German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

SAD DAY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mavrik5055

PostPosted: 11/05/07, 3:25 pm    Post subject: SAD DAY Reply with quote

Hello all, I am a new in these forums and write to you all with a heavy heart.. My 6 year old gwp passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly. Currently we are blaming it on a condition called bloat. Quinn was an exellent hunter and the perfect companion. My entire family and most of my friends are devestated by this loss..Bloat appears to be something that cant be prevented, please let me know if anyone has experienced this terrible problem. Quinn is currently at the University of Minnesota to recieve his Necropsy and we will have the final confirmation soon.
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/06/07, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your loss. A very successful NAVHDA GWP named Ken Vospet I believe died from this also.

The only thing I do to try and prevent this is to not feed the dog before going out into the field or any other hard physical activity. I think this can also happen if they drink too much water.

I think this is where their stomach twists up?? I do know it is more prevalent in large chested dogs.

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
HeissDraht

PostPosted: 11/06/07, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus in dogs Reply with quote

I am terribly sorry to hear about your loss. It is hard to loose a companion especially at such a young age. Owning German Wirehaired Pointers and running them hard, this is something that is always in the back of my mind. There is alot of good information on Bloat (Gastric Dilatation Volvulus) on the internet. Here is a pretty good article.

http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2005/Summer/canine-acd.htm

I hope you will be able to continue on your hunting ways with another fuzzy face!
Mavrik5055

PostPosted: 11/07/07, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support, I have done extensive reasearch in the last two days on this topic. It is apprently the 2nd leading killer next to cancer. I found information on prevention and am passing it out to whomever I know..I am currently looking for a new GWP and this incident, though very painful, has not stopped me from wanting GWP's and from hunting with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: