German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Willy & Sugar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraigW

PostPosted: 10/07/07, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Willy & Sugar Reply with quote

Last Sunday my wife and I addopted (rescued) Willy, a 7 year old male and Sugar, about the same age female. Either dog was very friendly and Sugar would bite you just for looking at her. She was down pretty bad from puppies, skinny, hair missing, matted and didn't like the world much. Willy was about the same but quite a bit fatter.
A week later... well both are socializing pretty good. Won't eat you or show agression towards you. They will come to hand pretty good when called and aren't affraid or coward too bad now. They love attention and Sugar will chase and retrive a ball to hand. They will walk on a leash, long line pretty good and today Willy got first lesson on voice command with training collar. He did well after the second bump and was a good boy from that point on. He is very strong willed though. Sugar on the other hand got loose fir the second time when left alone, went over the fence and went after the neighbors chickens. After she cought one, and some coaxing... came to hand. The chicken was released to hand without being hurt and ran off. She was rewarded for catching the bird and took home. We are working on not running off but I had tears of happiness in my eyes to see a good dog work as she did. I feel some time, love, and training will get her and Willy back to normal. We will go do some chuckers this week and see.
We felt sad when we first saw them. The conditions they was kept under and used as a breeding pair for puppies, one litter after the other. Chained up under a cover wrapped with chain link fence on the Great Salt lake marsh next to a pig farm. Sugar is spayed now and Willy will get netured soon. They have a good home on our farm. Kennel, shelter, food and medical care. They will have a life as to what they are alive for... companionship and hunting. They will see phesants, chuckers, hungarian partridge, grouse, and maybe a duck or goose in the corn fields. I will share Sugars dream tonight of the bird she chased and caught. Released without harm and how she trembled with excitement after the chase. We was both young again for the moment..... We will pray for another "sun rise" and field to walk again, and give thanks for the ones we have shared.
We will share your deams and flush of the next brace.

Thank you
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/06/07, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is wonderful that you rescued the two GWP’s. We need more people like you out there that a willing to take an older dog or dogs and provide the care and companionship they need. I wish you the best of luck with them and my they provide you with years of good hunting and companionship that you so richly deserve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: