German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

I have such weird luck with dogs... Could this be a GWP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velvetblue88

PostPosted: 10/04/07, 10:49 am    Post subject: I have such weird luck with dogs... Could this be a GWP? Reply with quote

A few months back, we decided to get a dog. I've always been an animal rescuer, so I looked at several shelters. One day, I found a beautiful white dog with blue eyes. Everyone thought she was a husky/shepherd mix because of her build and the fact that she's solid white...

She was already microchipped, and after much sleuthing, I found out she was sold at a Petland and is a Siberian Husky. (There are not many white huskies out there, but it happens.)

Fast forward to 5 months later... We decided to get a companion for Allie (the husky), and my boyfriend wanted a lab or lab mix. Again, we searched many shelters and found a really sweet boy about an hour away. We took Allie there to meet him, and they got along famously within the first 30 seconds. So, we adopted him and took him home with us.

A week later, we got an appointment at the vet for his shots, and the vet started fawning all over our new dog (named Taz... my boyfriend's pick, not mine). He said that Taz was in beautiful shape, and a great specimen of a dog. I told him we got Taz from a shelter and asked him if he knew what, other than lab, he could be mixed with. The vet then told us that he thought Taz wasn't a mix at all, but a German Wirehaired Pointer. Apparently it's rare for them to be solid black, but it can happen.

The evidence:
1) His tail is docked at the appropriate length for a GWP. (Who would dock the tail of a random mutt?)
2) His dewclaws have also been removed. (Ok, this could be for any number of reasons...)
3) When we first got him home and let him out in the backyard, he froze in a pointing position at a tuft of grass.
4) He is the right size, weight, and has wiry fur.
5) We looked online at a lot of GWP pictures, and we feel confident that Taz, once at the appropriate weight (he's about 10lbs or so underweight) would look like almost any other GWP we saw online, if they were black.

He is almost solid black, but actually has random silvery-gray hairs on his back, and a silvery-gray patch under his chin. The vet estimates him at 2-3y/o.

So here's my question-- Is it possible that he is a GWP, and that I've adopted 2 "mixes" that are both rare colors of purebred dogs?

Here is a picture of Taz playing with Allie (which happens A LOT): http://flickr.com/photos/17704189@N00/1483864526/in/set-72157602064180559/

The rest of his pics can be found here: http://flickr.com/photos/17704189@N00/sets/72157602064180559/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/05/07, 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the photos, I would guess that Taz is a Lab mixed with maybe GWP, or some other wirey breed. His head shape is more lab than Wire. The coat appears correct, just not his head.

GWP's do indeed come in black and white, but should never be solid black. Can they be solid black? yes, but no breeder with any knowledge would produce solid blacks on purpose.

Regardless of what he is breed wise, he sure should be grateful he found an apparently good home! Best of luck with him.
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/05/07, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree, the snout seems a little too long to be a GWP. Good luck with him!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: