German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

unwanted advances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diana

PostPosted: 10/01/07, 8:21 am    Post subject: unwanted advances Reply with quote

We took our Molly (neutered) out to the fields to do some training with with a friend who has a unneutered brown lab (same age, 20 months). All the brown lab did was try to mount Molly and all she did is sit. She wouldn't growl or chase him away. She didn't know what to do. She has been neutered since she was young. We take her around other dogs and they don't bother her. Do male dogs go thru a heat cycle to? I hate to think it is just this dog, they are our hunting buddies. Has anybody run into this problem? diana
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/01/07, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in my guiding days I had a clients lab that would try to mount my GSP bitch when she went on point (he was more interested in girls than birds Rolling Eyes ). The next day I switched dogs and brought a male that looked just like her; when the lab tried to mount, he got a rude awakening a quick a$$ whipping by the GSP.

I never liked hunting my pointing dogs with labs. The labs quickly learned what the beeper collar meant, and they would run over and bust the bird before the hunters could get within range. Mad
diana

PostPosted: 10/01/07, 10:58 pm    Post subject: unwanted advances Reply with quote

If the lab was neutered would it make a difference or will he always be after her? The lab was wearing a shock collar, but not phaseing him at all. It is not any fun hunting if she has to watch her bottom all the time. She may not get to go as often as she would like. I guess I was hoping for a quick fix of the problem but I guess a vet is the only one that can fix their problem lab. Thanks, diana
dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/04/07, 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several things have to happen here.... first your bitch needs to get tired of it and tell him off. Second, you have to get tired of it and tell him off. Third, his owner needs to get tired of it and tell him off!

Sniffing and checking her out is one thing, climbing on her is a whole nother can of worms and he needs to learn someone, or something is gonna teach him that is not allowed.

I would guess they aren't using enough juice in the collar to really teach him to leave her alone....
Billy Ray
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/13/07, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I've never heard a female being neutered. Shocked
diana

PostPosted: 10/14/07, 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly is our first female. With so many males dogs in the past it is easy to refer to "her" as one of the boys. But you knew what I was talking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: