German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Guten Morgen from Scotland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schottlander

PostPosted: 07/20/07, 3:46 am    Post subject: Guten Morgen from Scotland Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Thought that I'd introduce myself. I'm Ronno from Fife in Scotland. I originally come form Rheinpfalz in Germany and we go "home" to visit my family there as oftern as we can. We consider ourselves very lucky having two such lovely areas to call home.

Me and my wife Christine are really excited today. Very Happy Very Happy

We lost our beloved Staffordshire Bullterrier, Graff 3 weeks ago and were heartbroken (still are). She was a lovely old girl aged 16. We have been patiently awaiting news of a litter of GWPs from a breeder near to us but sadly due to a family illness, the breeder told us last week that she has had to put the mating on hold. Wire pups are extremely rare over here, especially just now because of the new docking laws. We were very down, thinking that it could be many months (or even longer) before we could get our much wanted new pup. We had been planning this for about 6 months.

Anyway, on Tuesday, I received word of a litter in Norwich, England. To cut a long story short (well, now I will), we are travelling south this evening to pick up our new baby girl, who is 10 weeks old. Although, we have only seen photos of her, my "original" breeder knows the background and both parents of our new baby and has given us some great advice. We are novices to the breed albeit not to sharing our lives with dogs. We also had 2 Bullmastiffs, sadly also gone but stubborn dogs are not new to us Laughing

We've also done our homework and know what to expect (within reason anyway Wink ) in sharing our lives and our home with a GWP.

Norwich is a round trip of about 840 miles but I'm hoping that it will be worth every minute/mile of the long journey. Oh, and the weather conditions and forecast are atrocious with flood warnings but we can't put this journey off and taking the train isn't an option due to the wee lass's toilet needs.

We just need to think of a name for her now. Very Happy

Thanks for allowing me to share this with you all. I'll post a photo up when we get home.

Ronno
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 07/20/07, 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning from Minnesota, USA.

I have a 4 month old GWP that we love dearly but they do change your life. Piper has an excllent nose and can smell food on the kitchen counter from a long ways away. Now that she is getting bigger we find her with both paws on the counter. They are also thieves. Piper steals clothing, blankets, and stuffed animals whenever she can. We have to watch her every minute she is not in her crate.

Good Luck and have fun.

MNOutdoorsman (Judd Schlotthauer - Mostly German)
Billy Ray
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/21/07, 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNOutdoorsman wrote:
Good morning from Minnesota, USA.

I have a 4 month old GWP that we love dearly but they do change your life. Piper has an excllent nose and can smell food on the kitchen counter from a long ways away. Now that she is getting bigger we find her with both paws on the counter. They are also thieves. Piper steals clothing, blankets, and stuffed animals whenever she can. We have to watch her every minute she is not in her crate.

Good Luck and have fun.

MNOutdoorsman (Judd Schlotthauer - Mostly German)

Have you begun basic obedience work?
Schottlander

PostPosted: 07/22/07, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Eva. Very Happy

She has settled in really well with us and is adoreable.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 07/23/07, 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with your new puppy!
Tell us what you do with a Wire in your country... will you hunt her?
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 07/23/07, 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schottlander, beautiful pup. She should be lots of fun. She looks pretty big. How old is she in the pictures and what does she weigh? I will have to post a recent picture so we can compare.

Billy Ray, yes I have started basic obedience training as well as some early field training. As far as obedience she knows heel, sit, down, and is beginning to stay on command. She still is a "wild child" though and will act up if no one is watching her. She had her first experience with live birds last week. She is very birdy. She worked with 2 live pigeons chasing, searching in tall grass and short retrieves. She loved it all.

MNOutdoorsman
Billy Ray
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/25/07, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this Schottlander dude has wirehairs mixed up with shorthairs.
Schottlander

PostPosted: 08/05/07, 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Ray wrote:

I really don't think so Billy Ray. I've seen both parents and the rest of the litter. (As well as having the paperwork). I realise that Eva is shortcoated for a Wire but that's a throwback to her grandfather.

Mind you, I may have been cheated by a reputable GWP breeder and you might well be an expert on GWPs (with your 8 posts) and can make sweeping judgements like that from a photo of a 11 week old pup.
Billy Ray
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/05/07, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schottlander wrote:
Billy Ray wrote:

I really don't think so Billy Ray. I've seen both parents and the rest of the litter. (As well as having the paperwork). I realise that Eva is shortcoated for a Wire but that's a throwback to her grandfather.

Mind you, I may have been cheated by a reputable GWP breeder and you might well be an expert on GWPs (with your 8 posts) and can make sweeping judgements like that from a photo of a 11 week old pup.

What does my post count have to do with my knowledge of wirehairs. I have a shortcoated GWp and I'm telling you that you have a GSP. Look at its ears and shape of his head. Looks like you may have been cheated again.
Schottlander

PostPosted: 08/06/07, 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Ray. Cool name, dude. Sounds like your Ma 'n' Pa might be a bit more than just Kissin' Cousins IYKWIM. Wink

Thanks for your "expert" opinion. I think I'll ignore it...

TBH I came on here looking for some help and advice. Seems a made a big mistake.

Rolling Eyes
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/07/07, 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ignore it. Good luck with the new pup!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
Dogheaven

PostPosted: 08/20/07, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your little pup looks just like my little 14 week old GWP... I'm sure your going to enjoy her for a long time..
Billy Ray
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/21/07, 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at that pups head. There is no way that is a wirehair.
Dogheaven

PostPosted: 08/21/07, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you telling me mine isint either. his pup and mine could be twins, the look the shape the color the markings.. everything. and i KNOW FOR A FACT mine is a wirehair.. so what makes you so sure his isnt.. Let him enjoy his dog. If he bought her from a wirehair breeder then its a wirehair.
Billy Ray
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/22/07, 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogheaven wrote:
So are you telling me mine isint either. his pup and mine could be twins, the look the shape the color the markings.. everything. and i KNOW FOR A FACT mine is a wirehair.. so what makes you so sure his isnt.. Let him enjoy his dog. If he bought her from a wirehair breeder then its a wirehair.

I didn't say a word about your dog. If your pup is a wirehair then it doesn't look anything like this other guys dog(GSP). You might think it does but that's probably just your lack of experience witht the breed. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: