German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

new puppy training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
judabugz

PostPosted: 06/17/07, 12:08 pm    Post subject: new puppy training Reply with quote

Hi I just brought home my GWP yesterday 8weeks old male too cute. ok first nite alittle rough. He went to sleep slept 2 hours wanted to play,took him out to go pee,then brought him in and put him in kennel had a fit and cried let him out til almost 2am then finally went back to sleep but not for long. I do want Emmett to get use to a kennel. Right now my daughter will be home to train him any suggestions from you pros. Thank You
Judy
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/18/07, 4:46 pm    Post subject: new puppy training Reply with quote

Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of wires! You about to find out how stubborn they can be. I currently own 3 wires - one is 12 yrs old, one is 5 yrs old and the newest is 7 months old. He has been a challenge to crate train - you just have to suffer through a few nights of not much sleep until he figures out that he needs to sleep. They have to go out about every 2 hrs at that age. They can figure out that "If the sun is not up, neither our we".

Good Luck,

Cathy
judabugz

PostPosted: 06/22/07, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Cathy. I moved him to a bigger crate. I finally put him in the living room where we could not hear him. That went fine except the mess in the cage. He loves the out doors. He is really coming to life now. Great dog we love him lots. Thanks again for the reply.
SAAEBC

PostPosted: 06/22/07, 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, brought home an 11 month old male two weeks ago. My wife has complained she hasn't received a decent nights sleep since, she's right. For the first three days he complained about every other hour, now on a good night he graces us with cries about 4:00 for which I tell him to hush and we're good for about another hour. I think house training is going well, my wife thinks it's a disaster. Other than crate time he has been by our side. We are now trying to acclimate him to alone time outside for short periods of time. By the way he complains about this my wife is sure our neighbors will report us for animal abuse. I read numerous articles and a good book regarding your puppy's first year. It seems to me all good intentions go to pot when you bring the pup home. It's one step forward and two steps back: my wife only sees the steps back.
I only hope my sons and I can get Rosco, the dog, headed in the right direction before he has us fully trained. I have a feeling quite an adventure lies ahead, a little luck and marriage counseling might help.
SAAEBC

PostPosted: 06/23/07, 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to make a correction on what I said above, Rosco is 11 weeks old not 11 months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: