German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

What is the most effective way to clean ears?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hartwick

PostPosted: 05/22/07, 3:10 pm    Post subject: What is the most effective way to clean ears? Reply with quote

I hang my head in shame that I don't know this.
Our 3 year old GWP is shaking his head constantly because his ears are itchy. I took him to the vet where he was diagnosed with a yeast growth in his ears (they removed some of the brown gue to show me). When I clean his ears, I am not effective with the method they showed me. He likes having it done, it just doesn't work.
He's keeps getting worse.
Does anyone have any tips on how to clean ears? I did see a posting referring to a 9:1 water to vinegar solution, but not how to do it.
Please drop me your tips.

On the bright side, I've trained my GWP to roll over on his back to let me do his toenails. All at once.... one person job.
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/23/07, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Blue Power Ear Treatment from McKinnon's book Animals Natural Cure & Resources, Web (http:www.ItsForTheAnimals.com.) It WORKS!!!! One thing have you Vet check your dogs ear drums, be certain they are not ruptured. All the ingredients are at your local Pharmacy. Fallow the treatment proceduresand you will have a much happer dog. If you can not find it let me know I have all the info on this treatment. Hope this helps
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/23/07, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mix equal amounts of vinegar and rubbing alcohol and squirt it in the dogs ear with a syringe. I massage the ears for a few seconds and let the dog shake the mixture out. My dogs hate it, but if I do it once a month or so, their ears stay healthy.
greatcountysky

PostPosted: 09/28/07, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Boxer Beagle mix, and she is a mid size breed, and I have been cleaning her ears with, this sounds crazy but, toilet paper. She has big enough ears that I can literally put one square of toilet paper on my finger and wipe the insides of her ears all the way out. She loves it too. I try and do it every other day. I guess this doesn't help get all the way down to the drum, but she seems to like having at least cleans lobes, and canals. If there is something wrong with this? Please let me know. Otherwise I would recommend this if your dogs ears are big enough.

Countysky
satellite internet high speed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: