German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Introduction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 04/10/07, 7:42 am    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

My name is Judd and I live in SE Minnesota. I just recently found this site in my searches for anything to do with GWPs and DDs.

I have had 3 labrador Retrievers and have raised 2 litters of puppies from my original Lab. My most recent partner was a GSP that I really liked. She was a great hunting dog and companion. I had to put her down in November due to kidney failure, right before the dog food contamination (I still am wondering if it could be related). My GSP was a great duck dog but couldn't handle the cold water during the late season hunts. She also got cut up real bad in some of the cover we pheasant hunt in. That is why I looked for a hairyer (sp?) dog this time.

I had a deposit down on an expected female DD puppy in South Dakota but it didn't work out. Only one female pup in the litter. Now I have a deposit down on a female GWP puppy (on the ground) in eastern WI.

We, my wife, 3 sons and I, are really excited about this puppy. I've been combing the web for months trying to find out anything I can about the breed. I just hope I can do the breed justice. My sons and I hunt ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse, turkey, deer, etc. The breeder of our pup does the same with his dogs and that is what sold me on his litter.

We are hoping to see the puppies and parents this weekend, if the weather doesn't get too bad. I'll tell you about the experience when we get back.

MNOutdoorsman
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/10/07, 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck!

Chris

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 04/26/07, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Meet the parents experience Reply with quote

Well, we drove 4 hours to see the parents and puppies. First look at the facility had us a little worried. No fancy kennel building, lots of dogs barking, all the dogs in 6 foot high chain link kennels with dirt floors.

After talking to the breeder we felt better. He doesn't like the dogs to be on cement. Says it's hard on them. I can agree but I wondered about worms and parasites. He says it isn't a problem. The kennels were clean and each dog had plenty of room and a nice house to sleep in. The dogs were well behaved. The clincher was, someone fired a shot a few hundred yards away and every dog in the kennel turned and looked up for a falling bird. A sparrow flew by the kennel and every dog watched. They are hunters.

The Sire and Dam looked great. The Sire is black and the Dam is Brown. I hadn't thought about a black puppy until I saw the Sire. He is beautiful. Both dogs were very affectionate and calm.

The puppies looked great too. Of course, they all do. We haven't made our final pick because we are not first in line and I want to see what the personality is like at 7 weeks. I'm pretty sure one of the black female pups will be going home with us in a few weeks.

MNOutdoorsman
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/26/07, 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lines are they out of?

MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 04/27/07, 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get a copy of the papers when went to see the puppies. One of those times when your brain goes numb when you are looking a puppies. I know the female is 3rd generation from this kennel and the male is a new dog from the outside.
I won't know what I have until I pick up the pup.
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/27/07, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well keep us up to date.

Chris

little guy

PostPosted: 05/04/07, 9:52 am    Post subject: Hapy for you Reply with quote

Glad to see you seem to be on the right path to find a pup!

I am anxiously awaiting my pup in a few months in Michigan.

Good luck and tell us how it goes!
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 05/07/07, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are picking her up on Mother's Day. She will be 7 weeks and a day.
The breeder put a quail out by the pups last weekend and they all pointed.

It's going to be long week!

I better figure out how to post pictures.

MNOutddorsman
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 05/07/07, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppy Picture. 3 weeks old
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 05/07/07, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First try, No Worky!
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 05/07/07, 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd try.

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x66/MNOutdoorsman/?action=view&current=1178560556.pbw[img][/img]
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 05/07/07, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd try supersized

itsabetsy

PostPosted: 05/10/07, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, you are a lucky guy!
Have fun!

Betsy
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 05/15/07, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We picked up our puppy on Sunday morning. Every puppy in the litter looked great. The 4 hour drive home took 7 hours with all of the bathroom breaks.
The first night in the crate went great. About 20 min. for her to settle down and only one trip outside at 3:30am.
Her first real day with our family was a big one. An 8:00am trip to the Vet for a puppy checkup, an hour car ride to a Highschool track meet in the afternoon with at least 50 people stopping to pet her. No worries over the starting gun. 30 minutes of playing on a beach beside the Mississippi River getting her feet wet for the first time, and the best part...Pointing a flying mallard that flew 6 feet over her head on the beach.
Last night in the crate was a little rough. She woke up almost every hour. Hopefully some quieter days will give her some better nights.
I'll post pictures soon.

MNOutdoorsman
MNOutdoorsman

PostPosted: 05/17/07, 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are going well. Piper is sleeping all night in her crate and doing pretty well with house breaking. She experienced water for the first time on a walk by the Mississippi River. She was a little unsure of the water but walked in a little way. In the pictures, I am trying to coax her into the water.

More later,

MNOutdoorsman
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x66/MNOutdoorsman/Piper15.jpg
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x66/MNOutdoorsman/Piper9.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: