German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

male

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grouse

PostPosted: 12/03/06, 10:59 am    Post subject: male Reply with quote

My female just came into heat and I was wondering if there was anyone in central utah who had a male preferably a liver male
Flyingm

PostPosted: 12/04/06, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, it is probably a little late to be looking for a sire.

I suggest you look out for a sire that will match with your bitch months in advance. Hopefully you can find more than one and negociate a suitable stud fee/ arrangement. Try to catch her next heat cycle, or the one after that.
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/04/06, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since this seems like a tad last minute decision to breed her . . .just wondering if you have thought through the financial responsibilities involved in breeding.

would your breeding be for the betterment of the breed? have you had her hips checked? eyes? are you ready to take the puppies, 10+ puppies to get their tail docked, dewclaws removed, give the their first shots? What happens if you don't sell them?

breeding should not be taken lightly, you are responsible for those puppies for the rest of their lives . . .

just a thought
grouse

PostPosted: 12/05/06, 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to answer but in answer to your question this is not a last minute breeding. The male that I had set up has moved out of my area and is no longer available. And yes I am prepared for the puppies. I have been trainning hunting dogs for years and ocasionaly I breed a litter of pups . but only out of dogs that I beleive are great dogs and only after I have gotten people that want puppies out of that dog and that will give them a good loving home. Also yes she is health checked and is a wonderful dog. But now my question why is it that everone who comes on this sight has to justify themselves to you guys.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/05/06, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grouse
When people come onto a list like this looking for a last minute stud dog it usually rings warning bells that whoever is looking for that last minute stud dog hasn't done their homework very well.

You didn't supply any information, other than you wanted a liver dog and that it had to be in central Utah. Pretty limited scope. It would have been helpful to everyone if you had given more information about your bitch, pedigree, health, working abilities and what you wanted in a stud, other than location and color.

Part of the job of members of the GWPCA is to educate the public about the breed and to help people learn good breeding practices. That's why we are here.

Since you had a dog picked out, can't you arrange chilled semen be shipped to you? That way your previous plans can be carried out.

i would hope you and everyone would be glad we are watching out for the breed and trying to educate.
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/06/06, 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grouse
i am glad you have done your homework and you def don't have to justify anything to anyone . . . .however i will tell you where i am coming from

in the last 4 months, i have seen about 15 liver wires been dumped at shelters or in the field IN UTAH. I have also spent countless hours trying to find someone to help save them ( with the help from great people of course). Utah does not have many GWPCA members, 2 at last count . . . therefore who is there to help these dogs? no one . . .they get put down if no one can. Now, i don't know why liver is sooo big in utah . .. but i have to say that from your original post, it quiet alarmed me, because the last thing that I want to see is a box of puppies dropped off at a shelter because they woudln't sell. you have to admit, it was a tad shady of a post. however, i am glad you are a responsible breeder.

now, on breeding . . .plenty of people have selected stud dogs for live cover that are out of state, when they do, what they do is SHIP the female to the stud dog. If you have selected a dog, you could always try going that route.

again, just a thought
grouse

PostPosted: 12/06/06, 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry that my original post was a little vague. However I am usualy a person of very few words and thought that if I could get some responses. Then I could narow down my prospects from there. However she is out of heat now and will not be bread. I am also sorry for getting defencive. But it did get me kind of hot when I felt like my integrity and love for the breed was being questioned. Also just as another point I am sorry to hear about all of the puppies abandoned here in utah. But I have only bread one other litter of wire haires almost 4 years ago and still know where most of them are. Also I don't know alot about the black and liver debate but just as a personal preferance I do prefer the liver.

Last edited by grouse on 12/06/06, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flyingm

PostPosted: 12/06/06, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grouse check your, PM!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: