German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Hunting instinct?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAAEBC

PostPosted: 11/14/06, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Hunting instinct? Reply with quote

Looking for a family/hunting companion. Found a good looking rescue pup about 3 to 4 months old. Any way to get an indication if this dog has the desire to hunt? I'm not an experienced hunter so I'd be learning along with the dog. Thanks
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect your puppy will have at least some hunting instincts and the chances are good he'll have the potential to be a good hunter. There's only been a handful of wires I've seen that seem to have little ability.

A good place to start finding some help with training, both for your dog & you, would be by contacting your local NAVHDA chapter. You can find a chapter listing on the national website www.NAVHDA.org. During the spring & summer many chapters have weekly training sessions for the members.

Since your puppy is only 3-4 months old & it is your first hunting dog, the book How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves by Joan Bailey is a pretty good reference. It will give you some things to work on the next few months until the NAVHDA training sessions start. Amazon should have copy of the book for sale.

Deb
SAAEBC

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, I'll look into the suggested resources.
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the puppy in wassau, Wisconsin?

A rescue dog should first be a companion and considered icing on the cake if they hunt. You are making a 15 plus year commitment to this dog, whether it hunts or not. What would you do if it turns out it doesn't?They are not "cheap" hunting dogs that you can pick up at the pound. If you are looking for a dog that is proven to hunt, than you have to invest the money and go to a breeder and see the parents and how they hunt.
SAAEBC

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the pup is in Wausau. I agree with what you are saying, that's why I put family before hunting when describing a companion. Just thought it would be nice to know if he had any inclination toward hunting. Thanks
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't matter if he hunts or not, it should matter if he's a match for your family. IF HE HUNTS, GREAT, if not it's not a loss.
I'd probably recommend you get a different dog that you know has hunting instinct.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dog is at the pound for a reason. I would not take a chance. Whether temperament or hunting it is all a crap shoot when the dog is coming from the pound. You really are not saving anything, you are taking a big risk, and hopeing to get lucky, by just rolling the dice.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

It might not even be a GWP the way the humane society tries to ID run off brought in dogs. You just don't know. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHUMPY

IF YOU BREED, YOU RESCUE!

think about that!
dualgwp

PostPosted: 11/16/06, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chump
since this puppy is in your neck of the woods would you by chance have any idea where he came from?
Finding the breeder would be a big help in maybe getting him out of the pound. And stopping more from showing up there.

And to the person interested in maybe adopting him.... a baby puppy like this has all of the possibilities of working out as a hunting dog. Get him on birds, get him out and about and socialized, let him learn about the world.

There aren't too may GWP's that won't make a decent gun dog. Maybe not a world beater, but a serviceable working dog.

Dual
SAAEBC

PostPosted: 11/17/06, 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the responses. I know the old adage "you get what you pay for" but I also know many of these dogs deserve a chance. I took him out yesterday for a walk and noticed a few things which might be characteristic of the breed:
1. I had a hard time getting him to look up at me, he would keep his head forward. Even with light pressure and talking to him, he would resist looking up at me.
2. He was extremely calm and fairly shy.
3. Only the front of his nose was moist. The top was slightly discolored (brownish) and dry. He looked thin to me, of course what stray wouldn't. He wasn't too interested in a treat we tried to give him.

Who knows what kind of nutrition he's had, and the nose thing could be the result of him poking his muzzle through his kennel chain link door (he's rubbed a lot of hair off the top of his muzzle doing this).
O.K., I know opinions vary and it's a decision I'll have to live by, but what about the obove mentioned concerns?
Thanks
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/17/06, 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your expectations have to govern your decision. If it is very important that this dog fulfill your hunting needs, then you have to ask what you do if the dog doesn't cut it. If its not so important, and you're looking more for the enjoyment of having a dog, then by all means adopt the dog.
At this age, most of what he will become will be determined by you.
The big question here is what baggage the pup may carry from the last owner.
nobirdshere

PostPosted: 11/17/06, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAAEBC - the pup is going to be shy coming out of the shelter. I have seen plenty of dogs that have been ruined by people; fortunately, the pup in question is still very young and likely has enormous potential.

Most GWP's are born with more than enough drive and desire to hunt. If he shows prey drive (interest in squirrels, rabbits or songbirds around the neighborhood is fine), he will be fine. You could always buy a couple quail from a local preserve, but I don't think it is necessary at this point. I am in the area often, let me know if you need anything. If you do right by this dog, you will likely end up with a nice bird dog.

PM me if you want more information. Nature likely provided enough to this pup, all you have to do is *patiently* bring it along.

Best of luck with your decision.

PS: I adopted an 18 month old rescue (out of Sawyer County) in January. He has been doing very well in Wisconsin's grouse woods this season. He still needs some more experience and some work, but is certainly coming along. My rescue came with a lot of baggage. It was not enormously difficult to overcome with some patience. Your potential pup will carry a lot less baggage.
marymurr
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/17/06, 3:28 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hi there

You need to get the puppy to the vet for a checkup and have him dewormed, if he hasn't already. Cortney at the shelter said he was sticking out his nose to be petted and this is why he has a raw nose.

It takes a minimum of 2-3 weeks to adjust to a new home, plenty of treats...and you are crating him inside? He needs time with you to bond. I am sure he will be just fine, all of my puppies that I have had with the right people have gone on to be fine hunters. I don't know if you all saw Cassie on the rescue page a few weeks ago? She was adopted by a man at a shelter....... expected her to hunt, and he did not feel she would do so. I got her back and adopted her to a family where it didn't matter. Guess what? She went out with their trainer, and she did great. So it depends on the person......

Give it time and bonding. Crate train for the "safe Place" and housebreaking. Lot's of
TLC, vet checkup, I use Iams Smart puppy food....with a tablespoon of the canned mixed in. He will put on weight, and after you are sure he has no worms...ect, then work with him. I am sure he will be just fine. Please email me privately if you need any help....I have a shelter for wires and have had 10 years experience with rescue/shelter pups and dogs and am the one that posted him in the first place.

Mary Murray
GWP Rescue, Inc.
www.gwpca.com
"A Licensed Shelter/Fosterhome network for Wires in Need"
marymurr
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/18/06, 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you had adopted this pup. He is still at the shelter...the good news is that they have many applications on him, and shelter staff will choose the home they feel will provide the best for him. Hope he gets a home soon. Also, if it wouldn't have worked out, we have many applicants wanting a pup or younger wirehair here through the GWP Rescue.

mary
www.gwpca.com
"A Licensed Shelter/Fosterhome network for Wires in Need"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: