German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Hunting the GWP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HOUNDSMAN

PostPosted: 11/13/06, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Hunting the GWP Reply with quote

Hello, New here. Been hunting hounds for big game for a few years now and love it. Grew up shooting quail flushed by what ever dog was around and was introduced to pointers by a britiany spanial named bobo.
She could point a chuckar! Nice little dog. Then when I got out of school I hunted upland and ducks with buddies who had pointers and labs. They didnt point much, usually flushed birds way out of range, and the labs would fetch a bird , if they saw it fall. I used a australin shepard and a heeler dog to flush bird, they hunted close and when they got birdy I followed, when there heads came up I got ready to shoot. They would fetch a bird. I did well with them and really liked them, They also worked cattle. They got old and died.
Now to the point, Last fall my wife found us a Treberwolf bitch in a rescue kennel. We got her and I hunted her. She points alittle after her enitial run and is a great companion. But she wont fetch a bird. I also aquired a pup out of the Flintlock lines and trained on him using the GunDog book. This fall he is a year and its our first season together, Been out on three quail hunts and hes ranging close to just out of gun range in low cover. He will find a dead bird and retreives alittle. Started force fetch lessons, He resents them. Pointing very nice by my standards, but breaks at the shot. Yet I can stop him.
So my question is. Can anyone give me a quick lesson on hunting a pointer? Should I let him cast out on running birds? Should I not be to concerned now with him breaking at the shot? And how do I get him to not devoure my bird before he brings it back?
What would be great is a run down like you were teaching a kid how to use his dog! What does all the terminology mean? Blinking? Flagging? maybe a list of term would help out.
I know Im asking vaugly about everything but hope this will start some dialog.

Thanks. mw
HOUNDSMAN

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess noone wants to help a novice out? Sorry to take up room on your board.
As I leave I would like to say, that chumpchanger guy is one amazing trainer/hunter, and if someday I can become a 1/8 of what he is I will be happy .At that point I will start writing books about dogs feet and posting numerous photos of myself to proclaim my greatness.

With thats said I bid you adue! and will go it alone.

good hunting.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that this is the place for hunting advice....as it seems nobody here hunts their GWPs. Confused That is the real crime and tragedy here. Crying or Very sad
gundogguru
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I most certainly do hunt my wires. I have hunted everything fom snow geese in Ark to grouse and huns and ducks in NoDak.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 11/15/06, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You posted your questions, a whole lot of them on Monday, and today is Wednesday. Slow down, just as maybe you should do with your Wires.

You asked a whole bunch of questions, with more answers than maybe can be answered in one email.

Training dogs isn't an instant thing, and just like asking questions on a forurm, there won't be answers overnight.

If Chump would like to toss in his 2 cents..... feel free.
I'm sure if you are patient, you will get responses.
Dual
dualgwp

PostPosted: 11/16/06, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have a minute, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

The terminology you asked about....
Blinking- this is when a dog knows a bird is there, but leaves it and goes on. Usually blinking is caused by a dog that is afraid of the bird for one reason or another. One reason could be that the trainer was too harsh in their corrections when the dog had bird contact. The dog would rather go away then put up with more harsh corrections. This is man made.

or, the dog could be gun shy and he knows a bird means gunfire. Again, usually this is man made by shooting over a too young puppy before he knows what is what.

Flagging- flagging is when a pointing dog wags his tail when on point. Flagging doesn't hurt a gun dog, but it is a big no no in any competitive event. Flagging shows a loss of intensity, worry, sensitivity, or uncertainty. A flagging dog can be man made (too much pressure while training on birds) or it is thought to possibly be hereditary. Again, for the weekend meat dog, no big deal.

Taking a baby puppy from first bird exposure to finished dog is just too much to cover here on this list. There are a whole bunch of sites on the interenet that discuss training a pointing dog. Try www.versatiledogs.com, or www.shootingsportman.com. It's a start.

I will say that your pup sounds like it may need the forced retrieve and this takes time. They will resent it in the beginning, you just have to hang in there and be patient. It won't happen overnight... try weeks and maybe months.

Many say to let the birds teach the dog.... good wild birds will teach your dog more than anything else.

Happy hunting... more questions, I'll try!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: