German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Feet/Legs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Timo V Richtof was similar in size & why I estimated as I did. He was roaded by an ATV at 30mph over 4 miles, daily, very lean..He easily shed 7-8 lbs from his offseason weight of 80 or so pounds..

When you say stuff like this I know you are a blow hard.. That dog can't run 30MPH for 4 miles.. Not even down hill all the way. What do you think everyone is dumb...

I have run my dog for 12 miles a day off my bike and at a good run the dog is going 18 mph and can burst up to maybe 22 if he sees a cat or coon. But average speed is about 10 to 12 mph when he is in top shape for 10 to 12 miles.. No trotting just running..

When you make statements like this all of the rest of what you say comes under scrutiny as BS...

And I have done driven hunts in SD on wild birds with dogs and you can shoot alot but most birds bust and flush from the hunters and drive and the dogs are just there for retrieving. I have done it and I don't like it. I would bet that it isn't much different in europe.

Actually kyle doesn't hunt grouse much from what I know.. And other DD owners that I know say that their dogs haven't figured out grouse. I guess we just have different data sets..

I am sure there are some that do but I have sent emails to some since I am up north all hunting season long to go hunt with their dogs and not one return email.. The silence hurts my ears..

Oh well what is a hunter to do...
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"30 MPH for 4 miles"

I was born at night, but not last night. Not sure who you are trying to BS with that statement.

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Racing sled dogs will travel up to an AVERAGE 20 miles per hour (32.2 km/h) over distances up to 25 miles (40 km).
Over longer distances, average traveling speed declines to 10 to 14 miles per hour (16 to 22 km/h).
In poor trail conditions, sleddogs can still usually average 6 or 7 miles per hour (10 or 11 km/h). Sled dogs have been known to travel over 90 miles in a 24 hour period while pulling 85 pounds each."
Off Wikepedia...Either you have a Slow dog or a bad speedometer..

"Blodgett's sled dog team of Walker Coonhounds has been clocked in a test run at 32 miles per hour. Attesting to Blodgett's talents with his hounds: Three wins in Quebec, a win at Rangely, Maine, and as high as third in the three-day championship in Laconia." Endquote.

Last edited by whiskerdog1 on 03/07/08, 8:50 am; edited 3 times in total
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no reason to doubt him.. he worked, judged & bred to Timo.

Calibration might be (+/-) 2-3mph on an ATV, but its not far off to have a dog hit bursts at that speed and carry it. Carrying 26,27,28mph is not unrealistic.
Ive run sled dogs in British Columbia & roaded my own dogs, I too know a little of dog speed.

ME-the more you post, the Dumber you sound.
DDs & Grouse?
Heres a friends photos, from a MI hunt, his dogs seem to have figured out grouse. There are many more, on many VDD breeders site.
http://www.vombartigjager.com/gallery/0035.jpg

Or Kennedys Site. I think he hunts a little grouse..His site says.."Living near Park Falls, Wisconsin, our main pursuit is ruffed grouse."
http://fp1.centurytel.net/drahthaar/photo.htm

I cant say I blame the DD owners for not returning your email..Maybe you have tendancy to rub people the wrong way.

Last edited by whiskerdog1 on 03/07/08, 12:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATV speedometers are always off.

I would also like to know from ME who the VC is in WI that never hunts wild birds? I can't think of another GWP VC here in WI besides mine and I have piled up a lot of wild game with mine over the past 4 seasons.

I could be wrong about the VC, but I just can't think of one off the top of my head.

whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, calibration might be plus/minus 2-3mph on an ATV but ..

"Racing sled dogs will travel up to an AVERAGE 20 miles per hour over distances up to 25 miles (40 km). Off Wikepedia.

"Blodgett's sled dog team of Walker Coonhounds has been clocked in a test run at 32 miles per hour." (That is pulling a sled & a man on snow)

I dont know why you insist that this speed & workout isnt possible, because it is.. certainly over 3-4 miles.
MEs dog does a whopping burst of 22mph. (He is faster than that-trust me)

CJS-your dog looks very nice. Im also partial to some of the Navhda GWPs.
Being that young is quite an accomplishment.
I see alot of late bloomers with the wire dogs in comparison to other GSP & Setters Ive owned in the past, but Ill never own another breed. Being a little delayed doesnt bother me, just takes little longer for light bulb to go off.
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskerdog1 wrote:
As said, calibration might be plus/minus 2-3mph on an ATV but ..

"Racing sled dogs will travel up to an AVERAGE 20 miles per hour over distances up to 25 miles (40 km). Off Wikepedia.

"Blodgett's sled dog team of Walker Coonhounds has been clocked in a test run at 32 miles per hour." (That is pulling a sled & a man on snow)

I dont know why you insist that this speed & workout isnt possible, because it is.. certainly over 3-4 miles.
MEs dog does a whopping burst of 22mph. (He is faster than that-trust me)

CJS-your dog looks very nice. Im also partial to some of the Navhda GWPs.
Being that young is quite an accomplishment.
I see alot of late bloomers with the wire dogs in comparison to other GSP & Setters Ive owned in the past, but Ill never own another breed. Being a little delayed doesnt bother me, just takes little longer for light bulb to go off.

I'll bet you $5000 right now that you don't own a dog that can keep up a 25 mph pace for 4 miles let alone a 30mph.. LOL.

CS the DOG was yours. I asked you in e-mails that you sent me before you were going to the invite how many Grouse you had shot over your dog and the answer was NONE! You remember those don't you? The ones were I gave you advice on what to do before the healing off lead part of the test. You e-mailed me afterwards telling me how well it worked. Now how many have you shot since I don't know but your dog was young and you were playing the NAVHDA Game and I know that some there don't hunt their dog unless it is in very controlled situations before they UT test.

Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME, we had not gotten any grouse before the invite but did do pretty well that fall and last fall as well. No 5 bird limits, but this past fall I did have 3 days with 4 birds, just could not seem to put the 5th one in the bag. So his 2nd season in the woods which was '06, we did pretty good. Not as well as this year, but the grouse numbers were better this fall as well. Should be better this fall also.

ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjs180 wrote:
ME, we had not gotten any grouse before the invite but did do pretty well that fall and last fall as well. No 5 bird limits, but this past fall I did have 3 days with 4 birds, just could not seem to put the 5th one in the bag. So his 2nd season in the woods which was '06, we did pretty good. Not as well as this year, but the grouse numbers were better this fall as well. Should be better this fall also.

Like I said.

Glad to here you are doing good. I have had so many 4 bird days where I would just choke on the next 5 or six birds I would shoot at.. Dog would look at me like "Hey what is the point of me finding these things if all you are going to do is scare them".
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take that bet, ME...Are you extending this to other DD owners? I have a friend with a nice leggy DD. Im sure he'd take your money also.

How do you suggest doing it? I can probably video from my truck and then load on youtube?

Id rather the money go to a Charity of my choice, I dont really need the money that badly, but to shut you up its worth taking your money..
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskerdog1 wrote:
I will take that bet, ME...Are you extending this to other DD owners? I have a friend with a nice leggy DD. Im sure he'd take your money also.

How do you suggest doing it? I can probably video from my truck and then load on youtube?

Id rather the money go to a Charity of my choice, I dont really need the money that badly, but to shut you up its worth taking your money..

No just you.
For 5000 dollars you bring your dog here and I will show you a 4 mile course.

If we can get someone to hold the $10,000

Once the dog slows down and is more that 20 ft from the vehicle you loose and you owe me! It must maintain 25 MPH for the whole time! Once up to speed no slow downs to rest after the first 2 miles..

I know how dogs run I have roaded my dog for easy a thousand mile. No dog you own can do it. and you think the other dog was doing 30 MPH.. I got a bridge to sell you.

My dogs good galloping pace is about 12 mph and you think you own a dog that can do twice that for 4 miles straight... LOL
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres what Ill do..
Ill make a video, 2 actually, from 2 vehicles & maybe a bicycle with speedometer, when the snow melts, we have 8" on the ground but should melt off in the next week or 2 hopefully.

I have personally clocked my dog at 30mph..
Shes not in top running shape but she can bust 30 and probably hold about 25(+-) for a few miles. Shes not even that leggy, at 60cm & 60lbs.

Ill tape it, upload it to Utube, post it here and you can send your money, or not, to a Catholic Charity of my choosing. Maybe an Iraqui Childrens fund for Burn victims.

Im not driving 20 hours each way & paying $1000 for gas. But I will gladly prove you wrong.
You have a Slow dog. I think you need to "Set the bar" a little higher, pal.
The fastest human runs 28mph.
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskerdog1 wrote:
Heres what Ill do..
Ill make a video, 2 actually, from 2 vehicles & maybe a bicycle with speedometer, when the snow melts, we have 8" on the ground but should melt off in the next week or 2 hopefully.

I have personally clocked my dog at 30mph..
Shes not in top running shape but she can bust 30 and probably hold about 25(+-) for a few miles. Shes not even that leggy, at 60cm & 60lbs.

Ill tape it, upload it to Utube, post it here and you can send your money, or not, to a Catholic Charity of my choosing. Maybe an Iraqui Childrens fund for Burn victims.

Im not driving 20 hours each way & paying $1000 for gas. But I will gladly prove you wrong.
You have a Slow dog. I think you need to "Set the bar" a little higher, pal.
The fastest human runs 28mph.

Your dog sprinted up to 30 mph for maybe 20 yrds.

Now when you do this how are you going to film the speedometer and the dog at the same time as well as showing the odometer clicking off.. LOL

And when your dog can't keep the 25 mph speed for 4 miles you can just make the check out to ME.

I won't be sending any money to Catholic charities that is for sure.

You put your $5000 in the hands of a third party and I will come down there to take it when your dog runs out of gas after a 1/4 mile at 25 mph.

I don't need to set the bar higher I just live in reality and have roaded my dog and know what he and other dogs can do.

I have seen a greyhound up close at the park out back and I can see why they can reach speeds of 39 mph. They are hugh and strong and long. That dog could flat out fly.

No here is what you do. Do you have a GPS? if so they will tell you your speed. So now while you film this dog you every 10 seconds or so while keeping the dog in the frame you put the GPS up in front of the camera so we can see what the speed readout says and then you move it out of view and then back in every 15 sec. That way we can tell how fast you are going and see the dog falling farther and farther back as you speed away at 25 mph. That way you can have it all in one tape.

Sounds like a plan if you don't have a GPS I am sure you have a buddy who does. It will also show you the distance that you have traveled on the screen so you can do all things with one camera and never get the dog out of the frame..

Good luck and I hope you don't injure your dog trying to push it beyond its limits.
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me...
This was never about my dog.
I dont brag her up. I dont have to.
She is fast for size @ 60cm & can hit 30mph.
Probably will stay with an ATV going between 20-25mph roading a few miles though Ive not roaded her in this fashion. I use a bike mostly.

Timo was the dog I referred to. I think he is deceased now.
For curiosity sake, I will road her this Spring, tape it & upload.
Maybe even my buddys leggy DD, he can fly.

Not sure what your beef is with the Catholic Church.
I thought it a good idea, give money wagered to the Iraqui childrens burn unit, through the Church.
I understand there are now 33,000 competing Christian Sects, so if I offended as a member of one of these, Im sorry.. Id be curious to know though, just exactly how old your church is? Just Curious.

You must understand that as much as you like to think so, Youve set no bar. Others have done what you have and much more & before you..whether Navhda ( And not running 5x for top scores) Do you have a "VC" title?, VGP, HRC- when they had a Cripple test & it was more difficult, 20-40 hr Blood tracking, BTR, Boar hunting, & others even Schutzhund.

Shooting Fool hens & migrating woodcock isnt the be all, end all.
Ive done it near Jackson County Wisconsin years ago, while preparing deer camp.
Land is flat, paved roads & easy walkin logging trails in most places to hunt when not in thick cover.
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/07/08, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskerdog1 wrote:
Me...
This was never about my dog.
I dont brag her up. I dont have to.
She is fast for size @ 60cm & can hit 30mph.
Probably will stay with an ATV going between 20-25mph roading a few miles though Ive not roaded her in this fashion. I use a bike mostly.

Timo was the dog I referred to. I think he is deceased now.
For curiosity sake, I will road her this Spring, tape it & upload.
Maybe even my buddys leggy DD, he can fly.

Not sure what your beef is with the Catholic Church.
I thought it a good idea, give money wagered to the Iraqui childrens burn unit, through the Church.
I understand there are now 33,000 competing Christian Sects, so if I offended as a member of one of these, Im sorry.. Id be curious to know though, just exactly how old your church is? Just Curious.

You must understand that as much as you like to think so, Youve set no bar. Others have done what you have and much more & before you..whether Navhda ( And not running 5x for top scores) Do you have a "VC" title?, VGP, HRC- when they had a Cripple test & it was more difficult, 20-40 hr Blood tracking, BTR, Boar hunting, & others even Schutzhund.

Shooting Fool hens & migrating woodcock isnt the be all, end all.
Ive done it near Jackson County Wisconsin years ago, while preparing deer camp.
Land is flat, paved roads & easy walkin logging trails in most places to hunt when not in thick cover.

I said you don't own a dog that can road 4 miles at 25 mph.. Now you admit as much.. The speed is now 20- 25 mph... Funny how that is. . since your wonder dog could do 30 mph for 4 miles if just figured one of your more average dogs could at least do 25 for 4 miles..

Why my Church goes all the way back to the person God chose to found the dispensation of grace to the gentiles.. You are a gentile aren't you? Peter was a Jew who only went to the Jews and it is recorded in that bible of yours as such he even shook on it.. Just as Jesus told him he could do. "What ever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven What every you loose on earth will be loosed in heave". God isn't a micro manager..

Since Paul founded all the Churches according to the bible on his missionary journeys recorded in the book of acts and since you are a Catholic and you hold to Peter that must mean that you are a Jew.. But this is not the place for this as you have lost this debate once already..

I have done with my dog something that no one else has done yet to my knowledge. Even if some one does he will still have been the first. Like neil armstrong there were other to come along but no one remembers their names.. LOL Razz

I hope you had fun grouse hunting.

It has nothing to do with just grouse but if you live in WI get out of the house and go get some.. Phez can be just as cagey as they are running SOB's. The point is that the dog should do all you want it to do..

You really read in to things don't you..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: