German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Feet/Legs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back on topic, here is a pic of a dog's feet (same black female) that just spent 19 days hunting out west.

Coat is the difference-but I'd still put desire and ability first.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeh of course the dog standing in the middle of a field is pointing birds in a tree...I should have known!! Silly Me..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Obviously you don't hunt your dog very hard......
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting here laughing-trying to figure out what mental disease you suffer from. The dog has her head up because that's the way she points when birds are away from her-in this case 15-20 yds. I must assume your dogs always have their noses on the ground.

Come on - give us another wise ass answer.

This is my last word - that way you'll seem all the more pathetic.
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chump-

Another pic for you to mouth off at!!!
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

You are supposed to take the pictures of the dogs feet AFTER the week of hunting, not before!!! Wink Wink Wink

BTW, have you ever had trouble with dew claws? I have never owned a dog with dew claws, but my vet has told me about repairing a few season-ending injuries where the dew claw is ripped loose, but the tendon remains attached. I usually remove the dew claws on puppies when I dock the tails when they are 4 days old.

PS: Great pics!!!
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,
I was concerned when I got both my bitches from Germany and the dew claws were still there. The only thing I have noticed is that the pads of the dew claws on this big female get that swollen, meaty look although they never bleed. We don't hunt the stubble a lot but I wonder what would happen if you did.

Yeh, the last dog that was this good at this age was my old Lutz grand daughter. This black female just gives me goose bumps sometimes and she's still learning (she's 2). But, she's the most honest pointing dog of any breed I have ever had. And, I just dig that little look she gives you, the slow head turn, to see if you're coming. Great stuff.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like the dog is pointing a hawk on the branch in the photo.......Oh boy. I didn't know hawk season was open. I have agree with Tony, you take the photos of the paws after you hunt. Judging from your photos and the cover you hunt, I can see why the dog would not get beat up. There is no cover. I am surprised I can not see the clubhouse/lodge in the background or the used ATV trail to plant the birds. Very Happy

Nice looking dog though. Smile
KJ

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Those are the first pictures I've seen you post on a public forum and it only took an argument with Chump to get them out of you? Is that one of your Bockenhagen bitches? She looks nice on her birds, even if she is pointing a hawk Wink

I also believe that the dog's coat quality has a lot to do with how banged-up the top of their feet get. I have seen it with my own dogs. One of Chump's buddies posted those same pics on versatiledogs and you can tell that both dogs have softer, below-average coats. I hunt out west where it is not the toes that are the problem; it's the pads. Opening weekend for chukar I had a young dog run her pads completely off three of her feet. Unfortunately, it was my fault for not conditioning her feet for the lava rock.
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ,

I agree-I never saw bad feet like what we had in AZ a few years back. These poor dogs from the east are used to moist, soft soil and that volcanic soil is just like taking a power sander to the dogs feet. Only way I could keep up was using 4 dogs and even then we had to boot some.

Heh Chump,

So you have poorly coated, ugly dogs that can't run. We've all had them at one time or another. Get over it. You have obviously never been to ND, MT, etc. The hawks don't sit around when you're in sight-they're to used to getting shot at. Its surprising how little you know, Chump. Its scary to think that anyone looks to you for a dog or even gives a rats &^% as far as what you say. Prarie grasses can turn a dog's feet to chopped meet-especially between the toes. If you'd ever been there, you'd know that. Forget the pics of shooting flight doodles and juvenile grouse-hell, you can beat them with a stick-you don't need a dog, especially for the woodcock. Or get a cocker spaniel!!! Come on out to ND mid-season, when the sharpies have been pushed a bit. Then your dog needs to point 20-50 yds off the birds and half the time you don't even get a shot. Its the tough birds that define a dog, Chump, not tired doodles sitting in the jeep trails.

Trust me, Chump, there are a few of us on this board that have forgotten more about hunting and this breed than you will ever learn.

Time for your lithium....
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/28/06, 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So you have poorly coated, ugly dogs that can't run. We've all had them at one time or another. Get over it. You have obviously never been to ND, MT, etc. The hawks don't sit around when you're in sight-they're to used to getting shot at. Its surprising how little you know, Chump. Its scary to think that anyone looks to you for a dog or even gives a rats &^% as far as what you say. Prarie grasses can turn a dog's feet to chopped meet-especially between the toes. If you'd ever been there, you'd know that. Forget the pics of shooting flight doodles and juvenile grouse-hell, you can beat them with a stick-you don't need a dog, especially for the woodcock. Or get a cocker spaniel!!! Come on out to ND mid-season, when the sharpies have been pushed a bit. Then your dog needs to point 20-50 yds off the birds and half the time you don't even get a shot. Its the tough birds that define a dog, Chump, not tired doodles sitting in the jeep trails.

Trust me, Chump, there are a few of us on this board that have forgotten more about hunting and this breed than you will ever learn.

Smile I have been to ND quite few times, with my ugly, poor coated dog. (I really do wish he had a better coat) I will be going there on November 5 for a week to hunt pheasant & sharpies in the uplands and ducks & geese in the fields and sloughs. I prefer to go later as all the warm weather amatuers have gone back to where they came from. Laughing Laughing I will post some photos for your enjoyment, as I will actually shoot some wild birds over my dog that haven't been planted. It is a ball, you should try it sometime, really. Also you really should not belittle the beloved timberdoodle or the king of the uplands the Ruffed grouse as they live in places that you would never venture or be able to swing your gun. I have no doubt your beautiful dog would love the opportunity to hunt the birds and have the chance to beat up his feet but the owner is no longer able to handle the hunting. I would also not disagree that you have probably forgotten much. You are welcome to join me on the jeep trails and hunting the coverts, a mere 12.5 miles from my abode. You can probably keep me in eyesight in the coverts as I wear orange for safety and wait for my dog's beeper collar to sound point at 100+ yards and then go find him. (If you lose me you can read a compass can't you? So you can find your way back to the road) I know for certain you cannot run as fast as I walk the plains behind my big running poorly coat gun dog, that points and retrieves all the game I have asked of him...... Very Happy Very Happy A good day to you Jon. Very Happy
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/28/06, 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I know that flight doodles are childs play, Chump, is because I've hunted them for many years. My camp in NY state is in the middle of good ruff country-I have limited on rough countless times and many of those before you were born. Every time you open your mouth, you swallow your boots-don't you get tired of it? And don't worry about me walking-Don't need to that much-I let the dogs show me where the birds are I walk down the middle of the section and let the dogs do the rest. I assume by your comments that you feel yourself superior to all of us on the board over 55-you're just winning over friends everywhere you go!!!
Ever think of politics???

Quote:
the warm weather amatuers

Glad to hear that you hunt the praries-but if that's so, why didn't you know about the cover and dogs's feet-I suspect your full of %$#@ again on this one too. It snowed several days this year the first half of October and the sloughs that had water had skim ice. Last year we had 6 inches of snow the first week of October. Chump, you ought to check your facts before you open your face. You don't know crap about hunting ND.

You need to ask yourself why its so necessary for you to spend so much time bragging about "setting the standard" and other BS. You're a guy with an ego bigger than his brain (no surprise there!) who hasn't learned that there is always a better dog somewhere else. Its always best to keep your mouth shut and let the dog do the talking. You certainly are NOT setting the standard in coat-that is clear (read the standard-coat is the distinguishing feature of the breed). Trust me, your breed doesn't need more soft, open coated dogs-there's plenty of them. I don't doubt that your dogs find birds-hell, there's 100's of dogs in many breeds I'd be happy to own. The question is what are you doing for the breed-self promoting and putting up your "griffons" as best examples of the breed doesn't cut it. I don't see your dogs dominating any of the performance venues (now I suppose you'll give us some BS about how competitions don't mean anything).

Whether you like it or not, Chump, there are dogs out there way better than what you own. You're I guy that needs to get a life-they're just dogs, Chump-not therapy to make yourself important.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/28/06, 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason I know that flight doodles are childs play, Chump, is because I've hunted them for many years. My camp in NY state is in the middle of good ruff country-I have limited on rough countless times and many of those before you were born.

Of course you have Jon, silly me, why would I not know that you have done this numerous times......just like your dog pointing birds up in the trees. Rolling Eyes All anyone has to do is read to know you have done most everything better and more than others. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Glad to hear that you hunt the praries-but if that's so, why didn't you know about the cover and dogs's feet-I suspect your full of %$#@ again on this one too. It snowed several days this year the first half of October and the sloughs that had water had skim ice. Last year we had 6 inches of snow the first week of October. Chump, you ought to check your facts before you open your face. You don't know crap about hunting ND.

Once again your greatness has shined through as you tell of your big skim ice story of an early cold snap in ND. I am also aware of the grass in ND, but it compares not to the thickets for man or dog, of course you know that from past days and countless limits shooting yearling grouse and tired woodcock from the jeep trails of your camp in NY state. Very Happy I fail to understand why you need to travel halfway across the continental USA spending most of your hunt on the road, so you can get in a "good 4 hours a day afield" between your many dogs. Laughing Laughing You are located in the "middle of good ruff country". You really ought to hunt those jeep trails, but I suppose the dogs feet and your hands might get scrapped up. Remember the old times Jon....when you could still do it.

Quote:
You need to ask yourself why its so necessary for you to spend so much time bragging about "setting the standard" and other BS.

The only one I see bragging on this page about a dog is you Jon. I have merely given accounts of my adventures. You blab on and on about your old dog of the past and your new "imported bitches"....If you need to go over seas for a dog, then you are a very poor shopper, as we in the good Ol' USA make the best of anything in the world, including hunting dogs. If you wanted a german VDD plodder, there are plenty of them in the VDD/GNA, you really didn't need to import. Of course I do understand that when you are waiting for the grounds/game keeper to set out your planted birds, you must be filled with anticipation. You knowing that finally you will have the chance to shoot a few planted birds over your dogs, you will then have more to brag about while sipping a cognac at the clubhouse bar while going on and on about yourself. I have met far too many of your types in the dog world. Rolling Eyes

Well Jon I am going back out to the jeep trails and coverts today to hunt more woodcock and grouse with one of my hunting buddies. You do have someone to hunt with Jon, don't you? Or has your mouth driven them away too? You are welcome to come Jon, if you can still read the small letters of the compass and understand its operation. If you can't make it...... then just try to remember the good times Jon....as it is obviously all you have.... Confused Have a nice day Jon. Cool

Last edited by ChumpChanger on 10/28/06, 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/28/06, 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gwpca.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=753

You still need to ask yourself why you spend so much time telling us that you're the best.

"Setting the bar"

"continuing to raise the bar"

You haven't done crap except raise your own ego. Bring those dogs out to NAVHDA, FT, NSTRA, MH and show us. I'll be in ND next year-bring those dogs-show me-and I'll tell everybody just how great those dogs are. You talk a great game-but we're all getting tired of the talk. Bring those dogs out and show us. There are plenty of GWP guys in Mott/Dickinson every week-end-come on out and show us. I never saw you at the Invitational, or an MH test-never saw any "Chump dogs" listed in the starting lists at trials where dogs I bred have run. Case you haven't figured it out yet, folks don't buy GWPs because they can retrieve like Labs, they buy them to run and point birds. An HRCH is a great accomplishment but you won't build a reputation in the breed or get anybodies attention because a dog can run a triple mark. How many of the leading breeders used Caleb at stud? Real breeders contribute to the genepool-not waste their time puffing themselves up.

I bought dogs from Germany because I lived there for years and am personal friends with many breeders and like some of these kennels very much. Again you step in it-with your assinine assumptions. I didn't come to you, because I wanted a dog with a coat!!!

I'm hoping to keep you talking-because I want everyone on this list to understand how you think and that you see yourself as the saviour of the breed ("setting the bar"-what tripe!!!) and the contempt you have for us poor second class dog owners. Keep talking, Chump-I WANT folks to figure out what a phony you are and exactly what you think of everyone else. I really hope that there are some puppy buyers out there that are getting an earful of your drivel and bloviating. All you can do is denigrate other - being great in your own mind doesn't cut it and doesn't make it so.

The only reason this started is because I made a comment about the poor coats on your dogs-get over it-there isn't a person on the board that has perfect dogs. EVERY do could be better in some way. You need to take a little time off from the militia meetings and find a deprogrammer. Wink
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/28/06, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this what you're setting the bar with??

This owner was able to afford the hair with the dog!!! (Mann, this is too easy!!)
york_rotch

PostPosted: 10/28/06, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo you posted is of my dog Brewer. "Chump Change's Crooked Halo" I really do not appreciate you dragging me into this..but now that you have..I will respond.

Jon wrote:
I'd still put desire and ability first.

So which is it Jon? Do you stand by the above? Are you done with the cheap shots? If you stand by your statement on desire and ability..then yes..Brewer is indeed setting the bar...he hunts it all, in all kinds weather and in all types of cover. Now he may not have some fancy euro pedigree, and I may not have pictures of him posing on point....but I don't give a rats ass about that...because he helps me put game in the bag...and I have a *blast* doing it with him. In fact it is very doubtful I would be doing this without him, he puts on a show for me everytime out. That is the bottom line..and is why we have dogs.

That last post has shed you in your proper light. I wouldn't sit down and have a cup of coffee with you..let alone drive to the Harvey farm to hunt with you.

The above questions are rhetorical Jon. I really don't want to hear anything you have to say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: