German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Feet/Legs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Postman

PostPosted: 10/15/06, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Feet/Legs Reply with quote

I hunt my GWP and have had her out a couple of days training at a hunt club. Today we were in grass about knee high and now here front knees and toes are raw from running in the grass. The grass seems to beat the hair off and then rubs the skin raw. Any options (beside not hunting her)?
Thanks for your comments in advance.
trfoley

PostPosted: 10/17/06, 2:14 am    Post subject: GWP feet Reply with quote

My Gwp's feet get very raw and sore after a hunt also. I am going to try some boots for her. I will let you know how that works for her.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/17/06, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your time & money on the boots. The dogs getting scrapped up feet is just part of hunting. I have found that the best remedy (should someone choose to go that route) is to tape up the dogs front legs for the first one to two days of an extended 4 to 5 day hunt. I may use small kevlar booties only on the front paws. There is a self adhesive gauze tape that is used in the ER of hospitals that works well, and then taped down solid with athletic tape on the loose ends. Doing this prevents the wear and tear from the first 2 days hunting. After the first 2 days you can then remove the gauzing/taping material, and the dog can finish up the last days of the hunt with nothing on. By the time the dog gets tenderfooted the trip is over and it is time to rest the dog for a day or two by going duck hunting. Very Happy

The scrapped up feet/knuckles looks a lot worse than it really is. Confused

Last edited by ChumpChanger on 10/23/06, 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/22/06, 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how a couple of GWPs front feet and legs look after couple of days in the brush hunting woodcock and grouse. It dosen't seem to bother the dogs. Very Happy Very Happy

Postman

PostPosted: 10/23/06, 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just what her feet looked like. Just the nature of the dog I guess.
Thanks for all the comments.
Tom
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/25/06, 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what dogs feet look like when they don't have the proper wire coat. Plus those dogs need their nails clipped bad!

If they do have the proper coat then they will show no skin as the coat protects them..
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/25/06, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh OK Mr. Hunter...... Confused
ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/25/06, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture says it all.

What to see my dogs feet...
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/26/06, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ME (could be the last time!!!) - well coated dogs don't get this kind of injury. In most cases, poor coat on and around the feet lead most often to this condition. I have hunted hard coated dogs 4-5 hours/day for weeks in ND and never seen bare skin. When evaluating a dog's coat, its the quality of coverage on the chest, legs, feet and stifle that determine the ability of the dog's coat to stand up to punishment. Too often the feet are covered not with hard guard hairs but with softer undercoat. I am also convinced that dogs that "lift and place" their feet rather than "shuffle" also sustain less injury.

Even worst may be the volcanic soils out west that can eat through a dog's pads pretty quick. They will toughen eventually, but for the short haul, boots are also about the only solution.
Postman

PostPosted: 10/26/06, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently my wirehair doesn't have the right kind of hair on her feet and legs. After a few days, most of the hair is gone and then the skin starts taking a beating. Last year after a few days, it seemed OK (still no hair).
PS. Didn't mean to start a dispute, but wanted an opinon from the experts.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/26/06, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh Jon...tell me how many days you have been afield this year? They all get beat up if you hunt them......of course you really wouldn't know that would you? Confused

Last edited by ChumpChanger on 10/26/06, 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/26/06, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got back from 15 days in ND and 4 days in SD. (Of course, we just went there to bask on the beach.) We were in the field or the blind from sun-up til 5 o:clock pretty much every day. We limited on pheasant, sharpies and ducks most days-the huns kept us working late. My big black female hasn't got a scratch on her and she was in the field a solid 4 hours/day.

Once again you shoot your mouth off before engaging your brain-what little there is.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/26/06, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A photo of a "dog" standing in a field..... a nice looking dog though. Cool

I might as well be talking to the birds. Laughing Laughing
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first GWP had a terrible coat like these dogs. Most of the hair on her feet, legs, and chest would be gone, and she would be covered with abraisions, scratches, and burrs at the end of the day. It never stopped us from going hunting, but I vowed to avoid soft coated dogs in the future.

I just got back from North Dakota last weekend, and my "average" coated dogs don't have a mark on them.
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/27/06, 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh Chump,

Either get back on your meds or have a family member take you back to the institution Laughing The dog happens to be pointing Huns in a tree row south of Harvey, ND 2 miles west of route 3 off 15th street. And those aren't fields, its CRP seperated by tree rows or shelter belts. If you had dogs that got farther away than 40 yds, you could hunt this cover too. Wink I'll be there next year, same time-bring those super dogs of yours and providing they can run farther than 40 yds (like in the grouse woods), you might see some birds.

Doesn't it bother you that every time you open your mouth, people are either laughing or yawning??

Here's another pic - same dog but in the cattails on point on pheasant-on the Palmer farm south of Harvey off old route 52 - taken with a digital zoom camera. Killed this bird too.

Must just drive you to drink (or maybe you already are) that there are other good dogs besides yours. Don't worry-I'm not a breeder and I don't claim to set the standard-so your preeminence (you'll need to look that one up!) is safe.

Pathetic!! So have the last word Chump.

Here's the same dog at 7 months. Case you don't know, that's a white tailed Jack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: