German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Gun shy ness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassinjp

PostPosted: 09/18/06, 9:00 am    Post subject: Gun shy ness Reply with quote

Got a pup that was a 4 months old The previse owner never exposed him to guns or loud noises. Confused Shot a 22 not to close and he spooked and went to his kennel. Tried to shoot the 22 when he is getting fed but he still spookes. ANy suggestions will it get better with age. Will the male hormones help. THis is my first GWP Male have 2 females who are fine around shooting.
farkum

PostPosted: 09/28/06, 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brittany is an all out hunter and will spook if I shoot a gun while he is not in the field. As soon as he is in the field working he suddenly changes and when he hears the gun he looks up to see if there is a bird with no sign of being spooked at all. I would say bring the pup out in a field on a 20' leader to let him start hunting. When he is completely distracted with other things then have a friend randomly shoot off a .22 with blanks a ways away. Continually get closer keeping a close eye on whether or not he gave the noise any credit. Eventually you should be able to shoot right next to him without him being scared, at least while hunting. I am not going to guarantee anythign as I am not a profesional trainer but this is what I did with Buddy when he was young and gun shy. It didnt change his behavior at all when not hunting but it did when he is hunting which is the important part.

Also remember patience is a must. Take your time, it may take a week, it may take a month.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/29/06, 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot the .22 when to dog is out away from you exploring in the field, away from its home and kennel. Shoot while the pup is interested in something else, and a distance from you. Just keep walking after firing the gun. If the pup acts funny just keep going and fire maybe one more time. Don't over do it in one session. If after a week the dog still reacts poorly to gunfire, if it quits hunting, comes to heel, runs off then try introducing the dog to gun fire in the presence of birds. Let the dog catch birds and get all reved up about birds. While to pup is chasing or has a bird in its mouth, have someone else fire a .22 from a distance. Work at it slowly over a week or two. If this doesn't work, then it maybe just timid gunshy dog...some can be that way. I would get rid of the pup and start over.
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/29/06, 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHUMP CHANGE

YOU ARE THE REASON THAT POOR DOGS GET DUMPED AT SHELTERS . . . BETTER YET LEFT ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD OR LEFT AT A HUNTING PRESERVE.

YOU GET A PUPPY, YOU MAKE A LIFETIME COMMITMENT TO THAT DOG. IF YOU WANT IT TO HUNT, YOU DARN WELL MAKE SURE THAT HIS PEDIGREE IS FILLED WITH A A HUNTING LINE, YOU CHECK OUT THE MOM, THE DAD, THE COUSIN, THE BROTHER, THE GRANDMA ECT.

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS A 4 MONTH OLD PUPPY!!!!!!!!!! YOU DON'T SHOOT OVER A 4 MONTH OLD PUPPY, YOU SLOWLY DESENSITIZE THEM BY MAKING LOUD NOISES WHILE THEY EAT AND THEN INTRODUCE A GUN.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/29/06, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh OK...... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/29/06, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so chump change, what happens to the puppies that you breed ( you're a breeder in wisconsin right?) when the dog doesn't hunt . . .

i'm guessing you take it out and shoot it in the field right?
good for you!! way to be responsible.

hope none of your great dogs that are in it for the "thrill of the hunt" make it to a shelter!
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/29/06, 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here why don't contact this guy. He is obviously a screw up, he screwed up this pup....maybe you can save the dog from this person's ignorance. You know much as I would like, you can't save them all.....from dumb owners. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes http://muddywatersretrievers.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1159367705
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/29/06, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about since you're in wisconsin, take her in and foster her (spay her) while the rescue "network" finds her a nice pet home?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/29/06, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please, anyone who needs to find a new home for a GWP, contact the breeder you purchased the dog from before you do anything! Let them know what the situation is and why the dog is needing a new home.

Most breeders will have had you sign a contract when you purchased the puppy that hopefully states that they need to be informed before you place, sell or "git rid of" a GWP. Go find your puppy information and let them know!

Nothing more frustrating than finding out after the fact that one of your dogs ended up in the pound or in rescue and no one ever contacted you to let you know there were problems.

Thanks for letting me rant on this one!
Dual
marymurr
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/29/06, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definitely.......contact your reputable breeder...and always buy your puppies from a Reputable breeder. Ask a lot of questions about their contract...ask what if questions also. Stay in touch with them, update them, and at the first sign of trouble...they can help you out.

Our dogs sadly we rescue are not from Reputable breeders, and this is why they are in rescue many times. This is why I have a listing right here by my computer and advise potential adopters that want a puppy to contact breeders I know, and help the rescue.

I watch closely posts made and steer people clear of breeders that "wouldn't take their dogs back" . Or relinquish responsibility when the money changes hands.....

I also recommend microchipping so we can track down a breeder, our homes are full of wirehairs just now and more come everyday. To get a dog back to their breeder is a huge help to us. All of our rescues are microchipped in our shelter database before adoption.

Our Rescue network is doing a great job, and our homes are impecable. We are working on a book about the 89+ dogs we have placed with stories we get on a regular basis from our new homes. Our adoptions are very scrutinized, home visits, evaluations in our foster homes, and a list of requirements must be met. We have only had one dog returned....as she was too much wirehair for the family. She went into an experienced foster home, and now is ready for her new home she will go to this weekend.

Always stay in touch with your breeder, and buy a puppy from a Breeder with a good reputation. I do referrals to the GWPCA breeder's listing here on the website. They have helped rescue, contributed in so many ways. They are tremendous people.

Mary Murray
www.gwpca.com
"A Licensed Shelter/Fosterhome network for Wires in Need"
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/01/06, 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS A 4 MONTH OLD PUPPY!!!!!!!!!! YOU DON'T SHOOT OVER A 4 MONTH OLD PUPPY, YOU SLOWLY DESENSITIZE THEM BY MAKING LOUD NOISES WHILE THEY EAT AND THEN INTRODUCE A GUN.

While most gun shyness is created by owner stupidity, I expect a four month old pup to be over any gun issues. Gun shyness is a temperament issue-dogs that exhibit any sort of gunshyness (with proper acclimation) are not suitable as hunting dogs and certainly not to be included in any breeding program. Dogs that are gun shy are probably best off in pet homes. Stable, confident, desire driven dogs don't become gun shy under normal circumstances. Dogs that need weeks or months to acclimate to gun fire are NOT mentally sound or fit. They may eventually become serviceable hunting dogs. (Please don't write about the stunning exception-because its just that, an exception.)

I am NOT tooting the horn of the VDD but dogs at any level of testing that exhibit ANY gun sensitivity are excluded from the breeding pool-no questions are asked whether its the dog or the owner. I'm sure that most of these dogs are victims of owner stupidity but no chances are taken.
I doubt highly that serious performance breeders from any organization consider such sensitive dogs as desireable.
marymurr
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/01/06, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon....

Just sincerely curious....we have had several wires in rescue that go into patient experienced homes....said to be gunshy. One in particular.... link below
http://www.geocities.com/gwprsq/cjpage

I am wondering....why when the owner wrote the pound a long letter detailing his lack of hunting ability, breeder didn't want him back either, how was he to go into this home and do so well? Guess he is still doing well.

I have had around 8-10 dogs this way..are these men just exceptional that are retraining these dogs?

Mary Murray
www.gwpca.com
"A Licensed Shelter/Fosterhome network for Wires in Need"
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/01/06, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,
Please notice that I said that most gunshyness is due to owner stupidity.

However, dogs that need special treatment in order to tolerate gunfire are NOT good examples of the breed and should not be considered for breeding. It doesn't mean they can't become good gun dogs-but something is missing from the temperament if weeks/months are required. If much of this works its way into the genepool, it will not be good for any breed.

We need to breed dogs that are tough enough, confident enough, to survive some owner error. Breeding dogs that are so sensitive as to require pre-emptive measures so as not to stress them is not the way to go.

You and I agree on giving all dogs the best chance to succeed-but, I suspect that I will demote a dog from the top prospect category long before you would. Sound pups chase birds a few times and don't even notice the gun fire-indeed after a few experiences, gun fire MEANS that birds are afoot. I expect this at 3-4 months of age and it should happen in several days.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/01/06, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like all people aren't qualified to play in the NFL, not all dogs are going to make it as gundogs........If a dog needs "special education" to acclimate to gun fire, then get rid of it. That is just the way it is. Not everyone can make the varsity squad. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
farkum

PostPosted: 10/01/06, 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChumpChanger wrote:
Just like all people aren't qualified to play in the NFL, not all dogs are going to make it as gundogs........If a dog needs "special education" to acclimate to gun fire, then get rid of it. That is just the way it is. Not everyone can make the varsity squad. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Not everyone makes the varsity squad but their parents dont just "get rid of them". When you take in a dog its your dog to care for as long as it is alive (care for implies your not going to "git rid of" it). You are the exact reason there are so many dogs out there without real homes. I will agree that dogs being sold as gun dogs should not have parents that are gun shy but I strongly disagree with getting rid of a dog. You gave the breeder your word you would do everythng you can to work with the dog and give it a good home, if you cant follow through it means your word and possibly signature are worth nothing. If nothing else then you have the obligation to go back to the breeder and assist in finding the dog a home that will actually love it for what it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: