German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

CARE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLITTERBUG

PostPosted: 08/12/06, 3:57 am    Post subject: CARE Reply with quote

DO GWP'S NEED TO BE KEPT IN THEIR KENNELS EXCEPT TO GET OUT TO TRAIN OR HUNT? HOW MUCH EXERCISE/PLAY TIME DO THEY NEED EACH DAY? ARE GWP'S FAMILY DOGS OR DO THEY LIKE THEIR TIME ALONE?
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/13/06, 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWP's and all dogs need to learn to be confined for periods of time and they need to learn to be relaxed and comfortable in a kennel.

Having said that, I find this breed is meant to be a companion to the family and is happiest and most productive when included in the family activities. I know people who keep them as kennel dogs and the dogs are adjusted and good workers, but I don't think a strickly kenneled GWP can get all they need in that enviroment. They get bored, they get destructive, they get noisey.

Which leads nicely into.....

Exercise.... all you can give them. A 15 minute walk twice a day just isn't going to cut it for the GWP. They are a high energy dog who is happiest and easiest to live with when they are tired.

If anyone is leaning toward a GWP, they should ask themselves if they have the time and dedication to give the dog what it needs to be a good companion and working dog. Training, exercise, exercise and exercise~!!!
fredgaines

PostPosted: 08/24/06, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all would agree with the statement that GWPs need be a part of the family and they do get lonely if confined. However, if properly trained, to spend some time alone in a kennel, they can do very well. I would suggest starting with very short periods of kennel time and then gradually increase time, but be prepared they need a lot of excerise and companion time.

If your situation requires that your dog spend most of the time confined, in a kennel, then maybe this is not the breed for you.
FLITTERBUG

PostPosted: 09/12/06, 2:32 am    Post subject: GENERAL CHAT Reply with quote

YES, IT'S SAD THAT I KNOW A PERSON WHOM FIRMLY BELIEVES THAT GWP'S OR ANY WORKING DOG SHOULD BE KEPT IN THEIR KENNEL UNTIL TIME TO WORK/TRAIN..NO EXERCISE AND SOME DAYS NEVER COME OUT OF KENNEL...HOW SAD FOR THIS BREED AND FOR THOSE 4 DOGS...IS THERE ANYONE TO CONTACT ABOUT THIS KIND OF TREATMENT????
gundogguru
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/16/06, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not think what life would be like with out a fuzz face in the house with me. I am a firm believer in that the more your dog loves you the more that they will do for you. Just my 2 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: