German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Invisible Fence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/26/06, 3:43 pm    Post subject: Invisible Fence Reply with quote

Hi,
I was thinking of having an invisible fence installed at my parents house for my 14month old male gwp.
Any thoughts? recommendation? feelings whether they work?

thanks!
kata
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/27/06, 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and it works great. If you have 2 dogs, remember to take the collars off of them when you leave if they are inside. I had my wirehair chew 2 collars right off my dogs neck. Had to replace both.

Chris
Wooky

PostPosted: 06/29/06, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband installed an invisible fence to keep my wirehair from going to my inlaws house when we can't supervise him. It works most of the time but if theres something he really wants to investigate badly on the other side he runs right through it. He actually backs up to get a running start (I've watched him!) then the silly goob howls and barks for me to come get him when he wants to come back.
Wickwire

PostPosted: 06/29/06, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had the brand Invisible Fencing installed in addition to our regular fencing (which was just not getting the job done.) I LOVE it. The company installs it and trains each individual dog with an increasing level of collar strengths. They will guarantee it! I have had no escapees since.

Sandra Wickwire
farkum

PostPosted: 09/28/06, 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last german wirehair was kept in the yard with an invisible fence for the last 10 years of her life. The first two she would do the running start thing unless we had the fence turned on full power (makes it so she cant get as close). However the last 8 years she got smarter than the fence. She would sit where the warning beep was going off all day, when the beep stopped beeping she knew she could leave. We went through more batteries for that collar than you can imagine. Litteraly got to the point where we changed them every week whether they needed to be or not.
SaskTrapper

PostPosted: 10/12/06, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Canada and I was just wondering how they work in the cold? I would like to get the fence but not to sure if it would last in the cold.
Bare

PostPosted: 03/08/07, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Minnesota, my fence is covered with 20 inches of snow, it still works good. One of the best investments I have made, it does scare people when my female GWP comes running from the back yard to the front barking at people,but has always stoped at the fence.
Good luck
allourmuddys

PostPosted: 03/16/07, 3:43 am    Post subject: Invisible Fence Alternative Reply with quote

We had the Invisible fence in one of our homes, it is an inexpensive alternative to fence in large areas, but as others have said, if they want something our dogs would bolt the line - then cry to come back in the yard.

There is another style of fencing available from petsafe - their IF-300 pet containment system. I have only heard from a few people that have used it, but sounds promising. It emits a radius around the unit and if the dog is outside that radius, will receive correction. No bolting the line!!! Covers up to a 180' diameter circle.
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/19/07, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing where you live be it rural or city, invest in a good five foot chain-link fence if there is any chance that your dog could get on to a roadway. It provides a safe area for you to train and exercise you dog. GWP after a rabbit will not be stopped by an electric fence. The fence is well worth the piece of mine when working with an unpredictable pup and keeps YOU in control.
Dogheaven

PostPosted: 08/22/07, 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the fellow above. Whats your dog worth to you? I fel my three are priceless.. so the 7grand to chainlink my yard was worth it. I didnt like the price but.. my dogs wont jump (not yet at least) the five foot fence. Also if you are where kids or rabits or anything else wonders on your property well then your dogs can have at it. So its not just about containment.. Wish i could put on of those e collars on my neibours boy to keep him away Laughing .. (hes 17 and a pain)..
ReeceGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/23/07, 11:14 am    Post subject: Posting Pictures Reply with quote

You will see a topic back a couple of months in General Chat on how to post a picture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
greatcountysky

PostPosted: 10/16/07, 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an invisible fence in the front yard only. I really wanted to let my dog out in the front, but didn't want to have to put an ugly fence out there, so this was about the only option. I didn't need it for the back yard because I already have a normal fence. My only concern would be if your area is heavily snowed on. It will still work in the snow, but training will be much more difficult because you have to use flags to show your dog the path that the fence runs on, and if there is 2 ft of snow, then you are going to lose that visibility. If this isn't a problem then go for it, mine has worked great since I got it, and it only took about 2 wks to really get my dog to understand.

The GreatCountySky
funeral home director school
greatcountysky

PostPosted: 10/29/07, 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an invisible fence for my teenager right now and it works wonders! Oh, and it's good for dogs as well Wink

GreatCountySky
Broadband Satellite Internet Service
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: