German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Health of my Pup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/30/03, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Health of my Pup Reply with quote

I have a 9 month old GWP. He came from a very reliable breeder but my husband and I are concerned about his health. He was on the heartworm medication when we got him so don't believe thats the problem. We have been running him and starting training. He seems to be panting hard after only 15 minutes in the field. We live in Michigan so right now the weather is quite cool. Is this normal of these dogs?

Thank you
GWP Fan

PostPosted: 03/31/03, 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of coat does he have? If he has a long coat he may just be getting overheated. If he is just starting to pant but not coming back to your side in exhaustion then it is probably just normal dog behavior. If though, he is obviously exhausted after only 15 minuets then you may want to get him to the vet. My 9mos old male can run flat out for an hour if I let him (I make him take breaks every 10 minuets to keep him fresh.) but he will be panting in less than 15 min, it just means he is getting his exercise.
Hope this helps.
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/31/03, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Health of my pup Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. His coat is fairly long. He does not come back in exhaustion. It sounds like he does about the same thing your dog does. You've made us feel better. Sounds like he's OK and we'll keep our eyes on him.

:) :) :)
cheerio

PostPosted: 04/03/03, 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is an easy test to find out whether your panting dog is in distress or if he is just panting,. After exercise, when he sytarts panting, check if his heart beat seems to jump out of his cage and if his gums become pale. If you don't have these 2 symptoms, it is nothing to be concern about.
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 04/16/03, 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly,
I know you're probaby not worrying after GWP Fan and Cheerio's responses, but let me add that my 15-mo-old girl (9 months out of rescue) is a huge panter. I got her last July, shortly after my last boy passed, and I couldnt believe the difference between her and him, and he had more of a coat.
She's just naturally a panter. Lots of energy. Will run like crazy through the woods, then slow up and stay near me, but in a flash she can be gone again at full tilt. When she charges back her tongue's flapping in the slipstream behind her.
And yesterday we had our first warm day (I'm in Ontario) and she was panting like crazy in the house with no exercise.

Illona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: