German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

allergies & nails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diana

PostPosted: 06/10/06, 10:03 am    Post subject: allergies & nails Reply with quote

I am a new member and a new owner of a beautiful 6 month GWP. Miss Molly came to us at 8 weeks and is a great joy. I have been following some of the postings regarding allergies, looking for a quick and simple anwser. Miss Molly is continously itching, her whole body. The vet put her on predisone at 4 1/2 months. This really made her sick so she was changed to Benedryl. Benedryl did nothing. She was a bottle fed puppy. The breeder gave her Iams large breed puppy food for her first food. We continued this until the vet changed her over to Hills Perscription Diet Z/D Ultra. This hasn't helped either. In postings, I notice that some use a raw diet. What does this consist of? I am ready to try most anything to help her. At times her skin is so hot. So far the only thing that helps break the itch cycle is being wiped down 3 or 4 times daily with cold water. She loves this.
The other topic that I have problems with is trimming her nails. She hates it!!! She does not like her feet touched. I have done it a couple of times but it is a real hassle. So I usually take her to the vet to have her nails cut. They do it with no hassle from her. But at $12 a trim I want to be able to do it myself. We had Shelties before and always trimmed their nails with no problems, so I do know how to do it, I think...
Any help with these problem would be much appreciated.
walltentwire

PostPosted: 06/10/06, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the wirehair experience! On the subject of raw food there is an old thread where I asked the same question and got a lot of advice from owners who do use the raw diet. Personally I have been feeding Royal Canin, and my 2.5 yr old intact male is doing very well on it. We do feed him cooked salmon, cooked ground beef, and venison as well.

On the paw handling thing, get ready for a whole lot of personality traits in your pup. There are some things you may have to just get used to. My list of these items is getting fairly long. The books and articles that describe wires as "high maintenance" are very accurate. My dog attacked three porcupines in a single week when he was about 6 months old, broke a toilet, climbed the wall and mauled a stuffed pheasant, then jumped out a second floor window at about ten months. He routinely opens baby gates. drawers, cupboards, laundry hampers, and likes to pull the blankets off the bed. The funny thing is though that he is perfectly well behaved when left alone in the house, all his antics are directed at getting a response out of us. He also seems to enjoy peeing on other dogs, and on their owner's legs. He is an extremely effective hunting dog, though, very cooperative....a merciless tracker and staunch pointer... a real team player. I have learned that endlessly harping at him about things that are really just expressions of his personality, instincts and intelligence is a waste of my time. I don't subject innocent bystanders to his antics without an introductory caveat.

I hope you have a plan to direct your pup's drive. A quick review of the Rescue Page reveals how many REAL problems can result when these animals are bored. Good Luck and have fun!
diana

PostPosted: 06/10/06, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the Royal Canin food. I am at the point that I have lost faith in the vet. She seems kind of lost when it comes to Molly's itch.
Molly gets lots of attention and exercise. She lets us know if she needs more. Usually it is in the form of pine cones from the yard or toilet paper from the bath. I have lost count with the toilet paper. She also loves to pull the blankets off the bed and bring the pillows into the living room. One day I expect there to be feathers everywhere.
She is on her second set of obiedience training and is doing well. She loves being the center of attention! Which she is!
Thanks for the help. diana
Eric
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/13/06, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Diana - regarding cutting your pups nails. One thing that worked for me was when just hanging out with your pup - reading or watching tv - while petting her, rub her legs and her feet too. Back off just a little if she reacts to her feet being touched - but just remain quiet and keep petting her. Over time she will not react to her feet being handled and then you can start to trim one nail at a time. Just one the first day until she is comfortable. If you should ever happen to cut one too short make sure you don't react - just take it very slow and you will have a dog that will hold her paws up for you to cut like my boy now does.

I hope this helps - Eric
diana

PostPosted: 06/13/06, 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eric! I have been rubbing Molly's feet and she is getting use to it. But once I start to clip her nails she goes crazy. I will try the one a day thing. Even throw in a treat! She is really strong willed (hard headed) but a great dog! diana
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/04/06, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: allergies & nails Reply with quote

Hi Diana,

i'm under a major deadline and don't have a lot of time...just breezing through the board and saw your post.

my GWP girl was adopted out of rescue at 7 mos of age and went through everything your girl is as far as the allergies and the hot skin. the kind of heat you're talking about is almost positively the body trying to get rid of toxins. what did my pointer in was the vaccinations adn spaying at 7 mos...far too much insult on a young, extremely-stressed pup already at the pound 5+ weeks.

we tried every top quality holistic kibble, and even a couple that the vet recommended...she smelled, she had every infection possible (ears, eyes, bladder, cuts, etc.), her coat thinned, and she was always hot to touch.

she became a 'cool' dog after i started her on raw, and even then it took some time for the body to detox. oh, and she was always super skinny....one vet worried about how skinny she was....once i got her on raw at 1 1/2 yrs old she finally filled out, and she's gorgeous now.

also be aware that vaccinations can be killers...literally. i lost one dog to vaccinations, and he was only 4 1/2 yrs old. my latest rescue is an 11 yr old wire JRT mix....i've had him 2 yrs....he went through an extremely difficult time after the vaccinations the pound gave him. ...much like my girl. by the end of the first 3 mos he looked like a short haired jack russell...so much itching and hair loss. we're now into our 3rd summer together, and he's finally dealing w/ his seasonal allergies much better, and homeopathically. he was also diagnosed as hypo-thyroid which my vet believes is almost postively brought on by vaccination.

prednisone is horrible on most dogs....it only further toxicates the system. try not to give it again. benadryl has never worked for my dogs either, esp. this little JRT guy. just this past friday my vet started him on a homeopathic remedy (arsenica album 200C) and even though i'm not a huge believer in homeopathic (never worked for me and my allergies or migraines), this little dog stopped itching within hours! his itching has gone down by at least 80%...and it was almost instant. it's insane how well it worked!

feeding raw is VERY easy....and cheap....the hard part is the start up. you need to do your research, and then sourcing can be a bitch to figure out. but once you've been doing it a few months it gets easier. you CAN buy premade raw diets, but they're expensive, especially if you're feeding a growing GWP, and often they've got grains in them anyway.

that's what's probably causing your girl the most difficulty is the grains. if you HAVE to go with a kibble, i would suggest somethign that is no grains...like innova's evo food or something. i'm not up on my kibbles...been a long time for me.

i've been feeding raw 3+ years. i dont' force it onto anyone, but i have seen HUGE differences in my dogs, especially this little senior JRT i've had 2 yrs now. i'd love to elaborate, but i simply don't have the time.

there is a lot of information out there on raw diets, and a lot of superb on-line groups. i'm not sure where you're from, but the best raw group i've found in yahoo is the RawDogCanada group. we have cdn and us people on it. and if you could find a vet who supports raw, and one who supports low vaccinations, i would definitely switch vets. through raw groups you might very likely find someone in your area who's already feeding raw and has a lot of the suppliers scoped out already and can mentor you. i didn't have that when i started, but i've no mentored a number of people and pass on the deals when i find them.

on vaccinations...i no longer vaccinate a dog that does not need it. i had my GWP's blood titered this year for parvo, distemper, and rabies (because i do training classes with her). it tests the levels of antibodies for the different diseases. she's good for another 3 yrs on everything (3 yrs is the maximum anyway...then you retest the blood and could still be fine another 3 yrs). so far her rabies shot from 3 yrs ago has been deemed good for yet another 3 years. so no vaccines for this girl unless she absolutely needs them. they just really made her far too sick and threw her entire system out.

if you'd like to see photos of the dogs' meals i have a lot of photos on my photo site... www.flickr.com/photos/illonahaus scroll down and on the right is a set called 'raw feeding for dogs'. do be aware that i do a lot of work for my dogs, more than most people are willing to do. i feed on a budget by finding good sources, and doing some of the work myself...even if it means skinning and cleaning things like rabbits or helping my lamb guy when he slaughters a lamb for them. but by taking this more hands-on approach i'm currently feeding the GWP and my JRT (who surprisingly eats a LOT!) for under $50 a month...total. and when the hunters let me have their venison scraps in the fall, the cost goes down even more. even if i DIDN'T do so much of the work myself, i'd still feed these two dogs for LESS than what i'd pay for a quality kibble. and you wanna bet that once you get their system running properly and their immunity up by feeding a supportive diet like raw, your vet bills go WAY down.

oh...also, consider getting vet insurance while your girl is still under a year old. there are some pretty decent programs out there. i use http://www.vetinsurance.com/ i locked the GWP in when she was under 1 yr and i pay a total of $32 cdn per month. given the nature of the breed i find the insurance is awesome. the other great thing about Vetinsurance (the one i use) is that there are no limits per condition per year, etc. which most pet insurance co's have. they're US and Cdn.

anyway on raw...i can't imagine feeding any other way. i can't imagine my dogs' health without raw. it's what they needed because of what they went through with vaccinations.

sorry if this message is a bit scattered...i'm really rushed. an awesome book to get your started is Kymythy Schultze's "natural nutrition for dogs and cats" .... only $8.95 through amazon, and worth every penny. another book that's worth every penny is: catherine diodati's 'vaccine guide for dogs and cats'....a very neutral explanation about the diseases, how they're treated, how you vaccinate, what the vaccinations are made of, etc. a great source to help you make decisions.

as for the paws and nails....that's rudimentary. it's just going to take work. manipulating her paws every day, even if it means cutting one nail a day until she relaxes about it.

oh, and chicken is a HUGE no-no for my GWP girl....raw or in kibble form.

like i said, sorry it's scattered. if you're seriously considering feeding raw, feel free to email me privately (illona@illonahaus.com) and i'll answer what i can....but it's hit and miss catching me as i'm really on a tight schedule with a deadline.

hope this helps,
illona
www.illonahaus.com
www.flickr.com/photos/illonahaus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: