German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Coat-King by Mars- Grooming/Stripping???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dualgwp

PostPosted: 04/16/03, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, slight slip of the keys there....
Wires gotta love em..or go nut's trying to breed "them" right.....
sorry
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 04/16/03, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion, but there are kennels producing consistently good coats with occassional great coats. They are German kennels - but, as you all say it is a severe challenge. I just returned from Germany and saw 4 litters (total 23 puppies) and did not see one coat that I would fear to be a problem. Now of course there are breeders that do struggle, but over all, coats are shorter, and more consistent.

I think the challenge of good coats in the US has been complicated by the preference for a more "Griffon" type of coat in US circles. By that I mean a longer, higher maintenance coat. Trends have created further challenges such as severe feathering. I also believe that US enthusiasts are more willing to compromise - rather than struggle with breeding a complete dog. Granted, the US genepool is relatatively small compared to the German genepool. I think the consistency of coat, type and talent would be far better if more folks were willing to raise the bar. Everyone would profit.
Dave
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/16/03, 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freudian slip there Bernee? Smile
dualgwp

PostPosted: 04/17/03, 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Dave, you know how it is when you hit that "send" button, and then suddenly see something not quite right?????

Let's call it a Senior moment....
Bernee
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/17/03, 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first wirehair was purchased from a shorthair breeder that raised wirehairs on the side. Being new to the breed I didn't know what a proper wirecoat was supposed to look like. All of his dogs had the long griffon coat. On the other end of the spectrum I wonder if some shorthairs are crossed in accidentally or deliberately to add more range to field trial dogs. I think some breeders don't know what a proper wirecoat is or don't really care. I like the coat of my newest pup. He came from a litter where all the pups had good coats. His hair is about 1 1/2 inches long down his back and wiry. He has a thick undercoat. His coat lies flat and is real dense with good coverage on his belly and inner legs. On his head and ears the coat looks like it has been clipped short. He does have a little beard and eyebrows over his eyes. His color is brown on the head and roan everywhere else. I wish I could duplicate his coat in every wirehair I ever breed.
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/02/03, 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
Oacona,

I think that I'm going to order a 20-tooth Mars Coat-King to see how it works. I'll post a review after I've used it a few times.

Tony - how did the Coat-King work out? Just curious as we were thinking of going that route on our GWP.

Ann
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: