German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GWP Needs A Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/11/06, 2:46 pm    Post subject: GWP Needs A Home Reply with quote

A family contacted me that would like to place their dog in a new home. They don't have time for this breed and are not willing to find it. I've tried to change their mind.

She's a 3 yo B&W who comes from a hunting kennel, though, the breeder won't take her back.... IMHO, a breeder not worth getting a dog from - if they won't take dogs back.

She's a complete wild child - no training, runs free in the neighborhood and has no manners.

She's been around kids, though she doesn't like the neighbor kids at all. That could be the kids Smile She grabbed one the other day as it ran past her while she was chained to the tree in the back yard.

She retrieves everything she can bring home, including rabbits, squirrels, etc and the neighbors garbage.

If anyone is interested, please let me know and I will give you their name and phone number so you can contact them. We are in Minnesota.

They've not hunted her.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/15/06, 10:53 am    Post subject: GWP rescue Reply with quote

Stories like these just p*ss me off.
Just yesterday my sister in law says she has a friend that wants a GWP. 1st question.. does he hunt? No she says. Well, then I said, he aint gettin a pup. Buy a pekinese. End of story.
People have no idea how much energy and exercise these dogs need to be happy, in addition to training. They arent a mini poodle housedog. They are a true working/hunting dog. Mine gets very destructive if the outlet for exercise isnt fulfilled, this being 10-15 minutes 2x a day in offseason of hard exercise-not a leash walk!.
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/15/06, 11:04 am    Post subject: I could not agree more Reply with quote

I could not agree more. Only non-hunting homes if they are joggers, will do agility, or at least get the dog trained to hunt so it can wear off that energy. This family has given three dogs to rescue. A lab, a terrier of some kind and this dog. They just aren't cut out for a dog. Even the mild mannered Lab was too much for them.
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/30/06, 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't this dog available like 2 months ago?
and i think that's an overstatement about if a familydoesn't hunt, then they don't need a gwp. GWP are the most popular dogs in germany, austria and hungary, and 90 percent of those people don't hunt. I find it offensive to say they can't be good companion dogs. Because of this, there are more dogs in rescue because breeders abandon the dogs that don't/won't hunt!
marymurr
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/31/06, 8:20 am    Post subject: Exercise Reply with quote

Wow! Our dogs get 2 hours of hard exercise each day....then taken out to briskly walk or jog lately. go to the trails to cool down. I had to take a part time job just so I could exercise and care for the dogs. Now, my foster dogs do not get as much. I always have around 6-7 wirehairs here. And rescues can be hard to handle...but they get mental stimulation, training, so they may become adoptable. We have jake and Kimba here...2 tough field wires...LOl...they have come a long way in their training. Very good dogs...but will do better in their own homes, get the "total" dedication they need. Most of my rescues have been soft, shy dogs.....with the exception of the 2 above. But even they are not destructive.....
Maybe this is why our personal dogs are so good..never destructive.....and happy. And we don't hunt.....we take them to the lake, they go with us everywhere pretty much, and are the center of our lives.

www.gwpca.com
"A Licensed Shelter/Fosterhome network for Wires in Need"
katababa
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/31/06, 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Mary, 30 min of brisk exercise a day . . . that's hardly anything. I live in downtown boston and my 1 yr old pup is out with me for 30-45 min in the morning, walking and playing with other dogs in the park, then his dogwalker takes him for 4 hours of hiking in a nearby state park, and when i get home from work, i'm out with him in the park playing ball or having him play and chase his doggy friends for atleast another hour. On the weekends, we go hiking every sat and sunday for a minimum of 3 hours a day and then he's also running errands with me all day. And he's never been destructive beyond the occassional younger puppy chewing phase. I will NEVER hunt him, nor will he ever be near a gun and he's the happiest and healthiest and most content dog in boston, possibly the world!
These dogs flourish in non-hunting environments as well, maybe even enjoy life a little bit more. He is free to chase and stalk birds, squirrels, ect to his hearts content, but for him to be happy he def does not need to be hunted.
Also, I keep this schedule with him in freezing below zero weather, and the nicer the weather gets the more time we spend outside exercising, and playing. Most nites, I have to "carry" him home he's that tired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: