German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Water and skin allergy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Browndog

PostPosted: 04/19/06, 5:50 am    Post subject: Water and skin allergy? Reply with quote

I have 2 GWP's. My female Becky just loves the water and will swim, retrieve all day. My male Barney also loves the water. The problem is that every time I take them out, Barney 'always' ends up with an allergic reaction, resulting in a rash on his chest and groin area that he constantly scratches, ending up with him going back to the Vet to treat it. I've now stopped taking him with Becky to rivers, creeks, etc and his skin is fine. I know these dogs were designed as an 'all round' hunter breed. Despite the places I take him to for a swim, were every man and his dog literally enjoy, I now restrict him from water. Could there be some connection to water and his allergy in Barney/this breed? Any suggestions would be most welcome?

Cheers,

Browndog.
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/03/06, 11:03 am    Post subject: Itchy After Swimming Reply with quote

I suspect this is a problem with the water, not the dog. There are bacteria in the water that will affect some dogs more than others. I saw that around here in some of the lakes not all of them, yet never in a river that we go to.

You need to rinse the dog off as quickly as possible after getting out of the water that makes them itch. That helped my dog. She turned out to have anothe allergy - not to that and did end up testing with a low thyroid. There's something that is causing the immune system to react to whatever is in the water.

How is it treated?
Browndog

PostPosted: 05/04/06, 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear DevataGWP,

Many thanks for the trouble to replying to my query. My vet/s have always said Barney is allergic to the grass, shrubs,plants around etc when I have taken him for a swim. I have always doubted this because I have taken Barney to soooooooooooooo many places where he hasn't been swimming, yet he has never reacted with an allergy to any of the plants, etc? Do you think I should have him tested for his thyroid? To date he is given an injection to stop the itching and then given a course of anti biotics and antihistamines. Is there a test that I could have Barney undergo to check his immune system? Many thanks again!

Kind regards,

Adrian.
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 05/04/06, 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Browndog,

Your description of Barney's problems sound just the same as my female, Clare. Last summer, after swimming and playing in the long grasses at the dog park (a wonderful rural dog park), she developed pustules on her abdomen. I blew it off, thinking it a temporary reaction to something. The Vet saw it and immediately thought it a staph infection. Antibiotics cleared it up quickly, though it appeared again not too much later and antibiotics were used again.

We haven't been to the dog park yet this summer, but Clare has the same abdominal rash. It worsened last night after swimming in our freshly filled wading pool. Of course, the water didn't stay fresh for long, as she bounded in and out on her zooming circuits around the yard.
So, is it the grass? Is it the water? Is it even possible to be allergic to city tap water? Before reading about Barney, I was suspecting the dirt my dogs like to lie in during the warm weather. Now, I'm stumped.

The Vet believes there is an allergy that then leads to infection. Before I resort to antibiotics again, the Vet suggested trying antihistamines and twice a week baths of medicated shampoo. Since I just started this morning, I don't have any answers yet. If you figure anything out, I hope you'll write about it. I'd like to know.

Betsy
Walter & Claudia
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/08/06, 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Arthur had this kind of problem to swimming in a creek or lake as well and I'm thinking it's the bacteria in the water or a reaction to the silt that sticks to the skin and fur.
We have asked the vet and he said it most likley is a pollutant in the lake or creek that will cause a reaction to water. like run off after they have spread fertilizer, weedkiller or pestecide.
I have used the medicated shampoo but found that it will dry out the skin, causing more itching, and soften the fur too. I'm now using a tea-tree oil and camomile shampoo blend which works great. It doesn't dry out the skin or soften the fur no mater how many times I use it, usually once a week after the wild bunch have been swimming.

Hope this helps,
Claudia

PS: It there a farm or something like a factory near by where you let your dog swim?
FCwire

PostPosted: 05/15/06, 3:33 pm    Post subject: skin infection Reply with quote

Without seeing the dog, my first guess would be a staph infection, too. Not every dog swimming in a given body of water will get it, of course, but a dog that gets a staph infection in one river will most likely get it any time it swims. An antibiotic spray, as was mentioned earlier, is the best treatment, and is fairly cheap - something with chlorhexadine +/- miconazole (an antifungal). Clipping the hair short to promote drying also helps increase contact time and speeds healing. Good luck, -N
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 05/18/06, 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clare has had two weeks without skin problems. What did I do differently? Two things, or three, or four.

I remembered the Gold Bond powder that I use for my Springer Spaniel's seasonal foot problems. I patted the powder on Clare's belly when the pustules were evident, and they disappeared within a couple of days.

On the same day as the powder, I gave her one dose of Benedryl.

After every wet playtime, Clare now gets thoroughly towel dried. A hair dryer was even recommended by a friend of mine. The towel seems to be sufficient, as we've had no reoccurrance of problems.

I also was switching foods at about that time. Because my Springer has had difficulties with grains, both dogs are now eating the new Solid Gold no grain kibble.

Can't say if one or all of these things have solved our problem. If I get further insight, I'll let you know.

Betsy
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/22/06, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my now 4 1/2 yr old rescue GWP used to have horrible issues with pustules after hikes in certain areas...although we could never determine which areas were the worst.

i've had her since she was 7-8 mos of age, and after she was overvaccinated at the shelter and spayed at the same time, her health went downhill. just an all-around crappy immune system. excessive shedding, itching, yeast issued, all kinds of infections, you name it, no matter what "high-quality" or holistic kibbles i tried.

so...after much research, i abandoned processed pet foods and everything our vets like to 'force-feed' us in regards to nutrition (of which most vets know very little about since - as i'm told - their education doesn't cover indepth classes on k9 nutrition, and what they DO receive in nutrition education is sponsored by the big kibble companies).

for the past 3 yrs my GWP girl has been on a raw diet. her coat has never completely recovered from the trauma of over-vaccination, but otherwise her health is robust and vibrant. no more infections. in fact, last summer we still had some minor evidence of pustules from certain areas we hiked, but this year, so far, NO pustules.

immunity can often take time to build, especially after something like an overvaccination that a lot of rescue dogs inadvertantly receive. AND immunity will constantly be compromised if you're doing yearly vaccinations as well. it's taken my girl three years to not get pustules after every hike.

i also have an 11 yr old wire/long-coated JRT. i got him out of rescue 2 yrs ago. again, overvaccination sent him spiraling down...major seasonal allergies...he scratched so much that by the fall he looked like a shorthaired JRT. he had no coat left. as we enter into our third summer together - on raw since he came here - his seasonal allergies have improved IMMENSELY. still some itching, but nowhere NEAR as bad as the first summer or last summer, and he now maintains a full coat.

as for the rest of his health....this little guy acted like a 15 yr old during the first few months i had him....barely able to keep up with the humans on the trails, unable to take the stairs on his own. today he is a completely different dog. he runs with (and keeps UP with) the pointers! he trees coons, digs after rabbits. before he wouldn't even look sideways at a hole! and now this 11 yr old has gained 5 lbs of pure muscle (25% of his original weight!) and runs around like a 2 yr old....AND i don't have to carry him upstairs at bedtime!

it's this little guy that really convinced me raw was the way to go. and finally i have a vet who agrees and supports my decisions. my dogs are also not vaccinated. i'd rather spend the extra $s to have their blood titered for antibodies to be sure their immunity to the diseases of concern is up and functioning. my GWP has not been vaccinated in 4 years; her titers this year clear her for another 3 yrs on rabies and distemper, and 5 yrs on parvo. and the 3 yrs for rabies is the maximum time they'll allow on a titer anyway...she'll have to be tested again in 3 yrs and could easily be good for another 3 beyond on that. but what i DO know is that this dog's rabies vaccine from 4 years ago is proving an efficacy of at LEAST 7 years.

as to other points....
i will wash, or at least hose down the dogs if they've been in swamp water or rivers along the trail.

as for the Benadryl....i've never found it worked for either of my dogs.

bravo on the no grains, itsabetsy. that right there could make a huge difference. you might consider doing a little research into raw as well...no reason you can't feed both, and your dogs will LOVE you for it.

if you want to see pics of the dogs or their raw diet, go here:
www.fickr.com/photos/illonahaus
the "raw-feeding for dogs" set is farther down on the right...not for the faint of heart, but it's the reality of the food chain....and there's no other way i could EVER imagine feeding now. in fact, my dogs have three freezers just for them. Smile

all the best to Clare. and Browndog, i hope you're finding some of these tips in this forum useful.

illona
www.illonahaus.com
www.flickr.com/photos/illonahaus
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/22/06, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darn...so much for proofreading...

that link to the photos should be:

sorry!
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 05/23/06, 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illona, thank you for all your details on health compromised by vaccinations. Both my dogs are rescue, so both entered my life with unknown amounts of toxic build-up.

While Clare's life with me started out sounding identical to your GWP, she is in great shape now. My Springer Spaniel is having a harder time reaching optimum health. I tried raw foods with him a year ago, but I couldn't easily find meat sources to which he wouldn't react. This year, he is stronger and more tolerant of some meats than he used to be. Chicken is still no good, but turkey works fine. I really think getting rid of the grains is going to prove immensely important. I'll be talking soon with a friend (and breeder) who feeds raw. I don't know from what company he gets his food, but apparently they have a good variety. I think I'll be able to attach my requests to his order. We'll see how that goes.

Additionally, I have not vaccinated either dog this year. Nor have I had titers drawn. They were both vaccinated last year, so I'm not concerned about their immunity. Here in Michigan, it it the law to give rabies vacine every three years. Would drawing titers that prove immunity suffice for that law? I wonder. Anybody know?

Betsy
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/23/06, 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsabetsy wrote:
I tried raw foods with him a year ago, but I couldn't easily find meat sources to which he wouldn't react. This year, he is stronger and more tolerant of some meats than he used to be. Chicken is still no good, but turkey works fine.

i hear you on the tolerance issues. my GWP can't have chicken...could never have it in kibble form, and not in raw either. she starts excessive shedding, goes yeasty, ear infections, and becomes very greasy and smelly. my little guy can have chicken but he doesn't get a lot of it, and only the breast bones and ribs (w/ lots of meat attached) from the organic chicken breasts i buy for myself.

i don't feed much in the way of turkey either....maybe a couple times a month. their diet is mostly goat, lamb (including lamb tripe), venison, beef, pork, and some rabbit.

itsabetsy wrote:
I don't know from what company he gets his food, but apparently they have a good variety. I think I'll be able to attach my requests to his order. We'll see how that goes.

i can't afford to feed premade raw. i find the hardest part of feeding raw was the startup and developing those sources. i feed mostly 'whole-prey' meaning i buy the whole goat or lamb, and i feed whole rabbits. once the sourcing is done, feeding raw - for me - is dead easy! and CHEAP! not even taking into consideration the 100s of pounds of free venison i can get during hunting season (with a little work and a lot of pleading), i'm spending no more than $1/lb on average....and i feed 2 lbs a day....that's $60/month for both dogs. when i add in the venison and other stuff i get free (tripe and organs) i'm feeding for less than $30/month. when i had just the GWP and was feeding top kibbles, it was $75/month and upwards! not to mention a lot of vet bills because of her crappy immune system.

itsabetsy wrote:
Here in Michigan, it it the law to give rabies vacine every three years. Would drawing titers that prove immunity suffice for that law? I wonder. Anybody know?

well, rabies vaccines are law here as well in Ontario...in fact, only a few vets have finally moved to the 3-yr vaccine! my new vet (who supports raw and low vaccines) has assured me that the rabies titer i had done on matea this spring is as valid as a rabies vaccine. she even has a rabies tag for her collar and an official "vaccination record".

the way my vet described it: if your dog bites someone up here in ontario, the dog becomes the responsibility of the Health Dept....and THEY choose whether the dog is euthanized so its brain can be tested or if the dog can be quarantined. the Health Dept will NOT do titers, and any titers you do after the incident will not be considered. BUT, she says, that titers done before an incident will be considered as a testament to their immunity.

my little guy i'll never vaccinate again, nor will i titer. rabies titers are approx. $200. but my big girl has some fear issues with other dogs, and although she'd never bite a person deliberately and although she's never been in a dog fight, i worry that she could accidently bite someone trying to break up a dog fight sometime down the road. the $200 titer is worth every penny for me.

illona
www.illonahaus.com
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 05/23/06, 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illona, I viewed many but not all of your raw feeding photos. Extraordinary!

I would like not to spend the huge amounts of money for pre-packaged raw food, but I'm not sure I can manage otherwise. Perhaps, over time, I will learn the whereabouts of good resources to feed more closely to the style you describe. I am impressed. You have gone way beyond what lots of us can even imagine.

Thanks for sharing the photos and the information.

Betsy
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/05/06, 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Betsy,

just wondering how your two are doing now that we're deeper into the summer.

my wire JRT (the 11 yr old guy i rescued 2 yrs ago) is doing WAY better with his seasonal allergies, although he started a bout of insane intching last week and i took him to my new vet who started him on a homeopathic remedy (arsenica album 200C) for a week. my god, the results were practically instant! it was insane how quickly it worked. his itching went from 100 down to 20 that same evening....and it's stayed that way now for the five days he's been on the stuff. and i should confess, i'm not a huge believer in homeopathic...it never worked for me on my own allergies and my migraines....but MAN, did it work on this little guy!

now as for matea (the 4 1/2 yr old GWP) and her 'allergies'....she's doing GREAT this summer. she's in and out of swamps and muck on the trails....and not a single pustule!! she used to get tons of them every summer...it was disgusting....but i kept thinking that this is something she needed to build an immunity against, that it would just take time. well, i'm finally seeing the results. she's got no itching, and zero, ZERO pustules. and we're talking some pretty horrible swamps! ...two or three times a week.

itsabetsy wrote:
Illona, I viewed many but not all of your raw feeding photos. Extraordinary!

I would like not to spend the huge amounts of money for pre-packaged raw food, but I'm not sure I can manage otherwise. Perhaps, over time, I will learn the whereabouts of good resources to feed more closely to the style you describe. I am impressed. You have gone way beyond what lots of us can even imagine.

glad you liked the photos. and yes, i'm an all or nothin kinda gal....so i do tend to go above and beyond for my dogs. they're my only hobby....besides photography. for some reason, recently, i've had a lot of people ask about raw and sources, and it struck me that the easiest thing for you would be to get onto some of these raw 'lists' on yahoo and find other people in your area. i've started a number of people on raw in my area....mentoring them as much as i can and providing them with food and my sources. feeding raw would be a LOT easier if you had a person or two to turn to in your area, as it's the sourcing that takes the most work.

just thought i'd mention that.

hugs to clare.
illona
itsabetsy

PostPosted: 07/21/06, 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Illona,

I don't know how I missed your last post until now, but I did. Always glad to hear from you. You have lots of information and good suggestions. Like, for instance, get on a yahoo list for feeding raw. I never thought of that. It's a great idea. Feeding raw would definitely be easier if there were someone else near me to share in the process.

In the meantime, I'm really happy using the packaged raw that I've found. The company name is Oma's Pride. The variety is broad and there's not a bunch of stuff added to it. Just meat and bones, unless you choose to buy the packages that also have vegetables added.

I've been feeding this for about three weeks, and life is good. Surprisingly, I'm the one to have benefitted the most. I finally feel at ease with what I'm feeding my dogs. Before, there was too much worry about whether Lewis would have a reaction to something that was in the food. I actually didn't know I was having anxiety about it until I switched to the raw and noticed how comfortable I was.

As for the dogs, they're great, except for a lingering ear problem for Lewis. Infection and yeast were cleared with antibiotics, but stinky discharge remained, leading the vet to determine food allergies. I suspect turkey from the last kibble we used, since chicken is a known problem for him. I'm still trying to fix the ear problem. Seems that maybe the glycerin from the antibiotic ointment aggravated Lewis' ears. Then, I chanced feeding him some beef tripe this week and it looks like that has irritated his ears also. This is difficult.

Along with food changes, I chose not to vaccinate Lewis this year. What a good decision that was, I think. Typically, every summer he is plagued with infections on his feet. So far, nothing at all this year. Hallelujah! I did vaccinate Clare, this year, but she has handled it fine. She is the healthiest she has ever been, and the happiest. Just the same, no vaccinations for either of them next year.

Next issue I'm working on, for which I would like advice, is heartworm, flea, and tick prevention. I'm thinking that these chemicals are not good for our dogs, so I'm going to try natural methods for a while. The Pet Medicine Chest, an online natural health care company, makes it seem easy to keep these pests under control naturally. I'm hoping. I'll let you know. What do you do about heartworm, etc?

If I can find some way to send pictures, I will. I never tire of showing off my goofy Clare.

Betsy
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/21/06, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsabetsy wrote:
You have lots of information and good suggestions. Like, for instance, get on a yahoo list for feeding raw. I never thought of that. It's a great idea. Feeding raw would definitely be easier if there were someone else near me to share in the process.

not sure where you live, betsy....no doubt the states....but you're more than welcome to join the RawDogCanada group on yahoo....we have a lot of americans on the list. it's the best raw-list i've managed to find...and in fact, is the only one i'm on now. of course, if you're not in canada, it won't help in re. to sourcing, but it can help tremendously in re. to advice and shared experiences. it's a really awsome bunch of people.

i do know a lot of raw-feeders in the states who belong to "co-ops" and share great deals on food. try a yahoo search perhaps.

itsabetsy wrote:
In the meantime, I'm really happy using the packaged raw that I've found. The company name is Oma's Pride. The variety is broad and there's not a bunch of stuff added to it. Just meat and bones, unless you choose to buy the packages that also have vegetables added.

it's certainly more expensive feeding this way, so i'd suggest using this time to start sourcing -- i.e. local markets and grocery store....if you've got a chest freezer you can often get better deals in bulk...like turkey necks or pork and lamb ribs etc. i worry when people start packaged raw that the eventual cost will turn them off of continuing, but it sounds like you're hooked. Smile

itsabetsy wrote:
I've been feeding this for about three weeks, and life is good. Surprisingly, I'm the one to have benefitted the most. I finally feel at ease with what I'm feeding my dogs. Before, there was too much worry about whether Lewis would have a reaction to something that was in the food. I actually didn't know I was having anxiety about it until I switched to the raw and noticed how comfortable I was.

EXACTLY! Smile you get it! not only do you know what your dog is getting but it's the ONLY way to customize your dog's diet to avoid allergens! dog's got a problem with grains, keep 'em out. dog's got a problem with starch veggies (usually the culprit in ear infections as the sugars breed yeast), don't feed 'em. dog doesn't do well with chicken, don't feed it.

i may have said it before but matea (my GWP) had really bad ears on chicken....whether in kibble form or raw. i had a holistic vet a couple of yrs ago do some "muscle testing" on her in re. to food allergens....muscle testing is a little bizarre....kinda voodoo like...and i don't truly know where i stand on it but.... when she tested matea it was a HUGE 'no' to chicken AND turkey. i'll still feed a couple turkey necks every month, but when i run out i dont' rush out and buy more.. i feed 'em when i have 'em.

so yeah, it could be the turkey....so many similarities in how our chickens and turkeys are raised these days anyway.

itsabetsy wrote:
As for the dogs, they're great, except for a lingering ear problem for Lewis. Infection and yeast were cleared with antibiotics, but stinky discharge remained, leading the vet to determine food allergies. I suspect turkey from the last kibble we used, since chicken is a known problem for him. I'm still trying to fix the ear problem.

oh! oh! oh! go here: http://itsfortheanimals.com/BLUE.HTM
it's the blue power ear treatment. the ingredients are VERY cheap and most pharmacies carry them. IT WORKS!!! and you gotta know i don't push very many herbs or products....only about 3, in fact, and this is one of them. hell, if you can't find the ingredients let me know and i'll mail you a bottle. i've got the stuff here. it's only a couple bucks to make lots, and it's awesome for ears, even thoguh i haven't had to use it in a very long time.

remember also that antibiotics can cause more yeast....so it could take some time for the ear and skin problems to completely clear up even on a super healthy, allergen-free diet, okay? there's the whole issue of detox as well....something i'm not a huge flogger of, but it does have some merit. when you start giving the body lots of good stuff, it will go through a period of flushing out the bad. consider people who stop smoking and start coughing more, getting sick more, etc. same idea. some people talk about detox for a year after introducing good diet, but if you stick to a more natural approach and let all those toxins come out naturally (i.e. no antibiotics, etc. unless REALLY needed), you're going to see improvement.

itsabetsy wrote:
Then, I chanced feeding him some beef tripe this week and it looks like that has irritated his ears also. This is difficult.

try new things slowly. when i started matea i had her on 6 wks of nothign but beef...the intro'd chicken, saw the results clearly and stopped chicken. of course, i will generally try something 2 or 3 times on separate occassions to determine the reaction is for sure that item.

Along with food changes, I chose not to vaccinate Lewis this year. What a good decision that was, I think. Typically, every summer he is plagued with infections on his feet. So far, nothing at all this year. Hallelujah! I did vaccinate Clare, this year, but she has handled it fine. She is the healthiest she has ever been, and the happiest. Just the same, no vaccinations for either of them next year. [/quote]

there's a great book on vaccines...if i haven't suggested it already...
it's called the Guide to Vaccinations for cats and dogs (i think) by Diodati. you can get it on amazon and it's cheap...worth every penny. it takes a very neutral approach, and lets YOU decide what you think should be given.

have i talked about matea's titer results and her immunity in spite of no vaccinations in 4 yrs? she's good for another 3+!

itsabetsy wrote:
What do you do about heartworm, etc?

honestly? i do NOTHING. i get their blood tested each spring and that's that. both dogs are healthy and if they did get a bout of heartworm i'd know it soon enough to fight it. but i also keep my eye on the weather. not sure where you live.... but there's a way to calculate whether heartworm is an issue....temps have to stay for 2 wks above 75 or something....day and night. one drop and the heartworm cycle in the mosquito population has to start all over again.

i hike in MAJORLY mosquito-infested areas. i mean MAJOR!!! i used to spray matea with a natural horse spray, but it stopped working the second she got wet....usually 5 mins into the hike. anyway, doesn't matter that she's in these infested areas i've had NO fleas, NO heartworm, and ticks aren't an issue here.

there have been some terrible reactions to the chemicals by some dogs and cats....just like w/ vaccinations, BUT just as many are fine w/ them. i wouldn't use them on a dog that's struggling though, but if heartworm IS an issue in your area and you've got issues with fleas, i'd use the stuff. i have heard that you CAN use it every other month however...decrease the use of it, maybe?

if you don't need it (i.e. no flea infestations -a few you can handle w/ bathing - and no temps for heartworms), i'd say don't use it. they're not horrible, but they're not great either. definitely, IMO, not as bad as vaccines though!

hope this helps.
illona - off to the mosquito-infested swamp right now with the dogs!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: