German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

water test anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Field Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dualgwp

PostPosted: 04/14/06, 2:13 pm    Post subject: water test anyone? Reply with quote

Sometime this summer, the Del Val GWP club is considering having a water test. If anyone needs a test, please let me know. The test will be in New Jersey, about mid state.

We are also planning on doing some advanced water work, just for fun and experience for the dogs and handlers, so come on out and have some fun!

Email me with questions.....
Bernee Brawn
gundogguru
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/16/06, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the water test had to run in conjunction with a hunt test? Are we changing the rules ???
dualgwp

PostPosted: 04/16/06, 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunt test or field trial. We will probably run a walking puppy stake along with the water test.

Hopefully, the rules will be changed that we can hold a stand alone water test down the road.
gundogguru
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/17/06, 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would great. Would a weim clubs water rating test count for our water rating ?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 04/17/06, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh, not sure about a Weim rating test. Maybe, but to be honest........ I don't know.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/17/06, 9:24 am    Post subject: Water Test Reply with quote

In viewing the site for the GSPCA I noticed that theh had a decent and fairly challenging water test-it involved a few doubles and a blind as well, and were of decent length-40-50 yards.
That is nothing to these dogs and quite frankly a GWP should ace it, if he's worth feeding. Is there any consideration for a test/title like this. I feel it would serve the breed well.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 05/17/06, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with luck and some planning, the Del Val club is going to run a version of the GSP water test this summer. Our thinking is, that someday, the GWPCA will wish to extend the water cert. and make it tougher and more challenging, and someone has to get the ball rolling. Maybe all of our local clubs will run this test, or a version of it, and then we can get something that will work best for the GWP. If you are a member of a local club, ask your club if it's something they would consider doing.

One thing we must remember, the GWPCA is only as good as it's members, and will only do what the members want it to do. If the membership embraces a more difficult test, and asks for it, it will happen. If they don't, then it won't.

I would encourage all of our members to ask more of their dogs, and of themselves and not seek the easy route to easy titles.

Right now, we have a fairly serious Versatilty Committee that is looking for input. I believe in having a Versatillity test for our breed, the question is... what will be involved?

Anyways.... once we know the details (when, where etc) of the Del Val test, I'll post it.

Bernee
gundogguru
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/19/06, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whiskerdog1 I will have to disagree with you. I don't find it necessary for a GWP to have to make a blind retrieve. I would like to see the water test a little more challenging than it is now. But a blind I think is unnecessary. I'm not sure where you live But here in the south it is very hard to find gator free water to train in. I'm lucky to have 2 ponds that I can work my wires and labs. If you make it so hard some clubs won't do the tests.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 06/12/06, 12:36 am    Post subject: August 13 Water Test Reply with quote

If anyone needs a water test, the Del Val Club will be holding one on August 13th at the Colliers Mills WMA in NJ. We would appreciate you letting us know if you will be coming or not so we can make the plans for the day.
Please email me at justagwp@tradenet.net if you need more information.
Thanks for your help.
Bernee Brawn
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/12/06, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Right now, we have a fairly serious Versatilty Committee that is looking for input. I believe in having a Versatillity test for our breed, the question is... what will be involved?

This is a turning point for the club. Some years ago, the idea of a club Versatility rating was proposed and the squabbling over what the "ingredients" should be killed it before it got off the ground (as well as the aversion by some directors at the time who were too invested in FT). At that time, too many factions wanted to redefine the meaning of versatility. I would recommend that you look to your own club website which details quite explicitly the purpose of the versatile breed (although I doubt you have two members that have ever tracked a deer with their GWP). Stick to this working definition and you will do much more to profit your breed. As soon as you start including agility, obedience and flyball, you will have wasted the opportunity. NAVHDA is a well proven system in place-you would be best off to use it rather than reinvent the wheel. You can always require more for VDX or VD Supreme-as if show titles have really done anything positive over the years.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/14/06, 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jon....and if a GWP is NAVHDA tested and it doesn't not have 4s on every NAVHDA duck search, I question the dogs water worth. A UKC/HRC retriever title counts for more than some 20 yard retrieve that is called a "water test". I first became interested and purchased GWPs because I wanted a dog for upland AND WATERFOWL.........GWPs that are poor in the water are worthless IMHO. I might just as well hunt with a Brittany, and how sad is that compared to a decent GWP? The GWP should be as good in the water as any retriever, most guys who own them don't realize what these dogs can do. In the field a GWP should be brush busting, pointing, tracking, retrieving machine. Very Happy Very Happy The true all around versatile dog.
KJ

PostPosted: 06/14/06, 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I emailed the versatile contact my 2 cents on this a while back. I just hope the club decides to define versatile as field, marsh and forest not hunt test, AKC water test, show and agility Rolling Eyes

I am not familiar with what is required in the retriever tests but, I would think they could be of value. I recommended they require a passing UT score and the dog has to have a '4' in duck search. To use the AKC water test as an acceptable water test is a detriment to our breed.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 06/15/06, 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that if this club is going to have a Versatile type title, it should reflect the traditional "versatile" meaning, and not the Webster definition.

I contacted the head of the committee also, told him my views, and was pretty much told, Thanks, but no thanks to my offer to be on the committee.

The Del Val club will be holding a version of the GSP water rating on August 13th in Colliers Mills. It is our hope that we can show people what these dogs can and should be capable of and up their interest and desire to own dogs that can and will do these things.

For information....... email me.
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/16/06, 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to be reading some opinions from other club members on this topic and count me in with the people above, the versatility test does need to be based on versatile hunting skills, not companion games.

Deb
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/16/06, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that the versatile program needs to be based on what the dog is bred to do not the games we play with them. The AKC has a versatility title that addresses such things as agility, obedience and conformation. No need to duplicate these things in our club.

Ann
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Field Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: