German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Bird Crazy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emccraw

PostPosted: 04/13/06, 12:21 pm    Post subject: Bird Crazy Reply with quote

My female GWP spends ALL her indoor time running from window to window crazyily looking for birds. Sparrows, buzzards, anything that flies. It is driving us nuts. I realize her breed is a game dog, but, holy cow, is there anyway to curb this behavior?
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/14/06, 9:37 am    Post subject: Birds Reply with quote

You have a crazy a*s bird dog, that needs running and alot of exercise it sounds like. I had a GSP like this. Ultimately became an outdoor dog most of the time, and was run twice a day off leash at a park across the street. These arent your average lap dogs but a high energy field dog, whoever told you differently lied to you.
A tired dog is a good dog(and a happy dog). 10-15 minutes 2x/day works wonders-and a meat bone to chew on.
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 04/14/06, 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, sounds like a bored bird dog to me. i've got a 4 1/2 yr old that still needs muchos exercise and stimulation. she's out on the trails with her wire JRT brother, and sometimes a GSP friend, three times a week for 1 1/2 to 2 hours each hike. then leash walks and ball fetching on the non-hike days, as well as obedience classes. i do the classes just to keep her mind active and to keep her in different environments. plus, my girl has some fear issues with other dogs - bordering on fear aggression - so i'm doing as much as i can around other dogs these days.

like whiskerdog says, this is not a lap dog. major exercise is required and major stimulation. a job is a must for a GWP, and since i don't hunt i'm constantly looking for 'jobs' for her to do in and outside of the house.

have you done any obedience classes? how about agility?? my girl loved agility before i shattered my ankle, and before she developed these dog-on-dog issues. it's a TON of fun and really makes a dog work physically and mentally.

i also feed raw, so that means on some nights the dogs' dinners take them an hour to complete.

illona
www.flickr.com/photos/illonahaus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: