German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GWP MH/SH Water Test Requirement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Field Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/21/03, 8:19 am    Post subject: GWP MH/SH Water Test Requirement Reply with quote

With all of the bitching and complaining on the e-mail list, I'm surprised that there isn't any discussion on the message board.

Personally, I think that the water test is long over due.
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/21/03, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am a great fun of the breed, I have very little knowledge as far as their hunting abilities, whether in trials or in real hunts. Tony, could you please explain what this water test is about? Thanks.
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/21/03, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you be a fan of the breed without being familiar with the hunting abilities? Confused

For years, the GWP had to pass a water test in order to earn the Field Champion or Amateur Field Champion title. Recently, the GWPCA decided to make a Master Hunter and Senior Hunter pass the water test too.

Check out the link below for details.

http://www.akc.org/dic/events/perform/htpointb.cfm?page=3
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/21/03, 10:40 pm    Post subject: AKC water test Reply with quote

A 20 yard water retrieve for a SH or MH wire sounds to me to be a very easy test for a wire to pass. The rules as I see them are way to vague. If a MH dog spit out a retrieve of upland game would it get a five for retrieve, what if it broke before released etc.? How often can a handler hack his dog in SH or MH in the water test? When I am going to play the game, I would like to know more about the rules.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 03/22/03, 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water test is a simple "pass" or "fail". Did the dog go into the water and did the dog retrieve the bird.
The bird must be brought back to the handler.

Very simple... pretty dang easy.
The test is to show that the dog will enter the water, swim, and retrieve.

This water test has been in use for many many many years.
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/22/03, 9:37 am    Post subject: water test Reply with quote

Thanks Bernee. Pretty dang easy is correct. Most NAVHDA Natural Ability dogs would pass this test Wink

Did you receive those training pics of Callie I sent you yesterday? If not, send me an e-mail and I will forward them to you.

Bob
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/22/03, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Indeed, it seems like a very easy test for a GWP. When I think of the breed, I see a dog who retrieves, and a dog who loves water. Putting the 2 together only seems logical.
Tony, you asked how I could be a fun of the breed without being familiar with his hunting abilities? It's easy. My experience with the breed did not involved hunting, neither did my experience in life. However, my GWP was involved in SAR (Search and Rescue), where her retrieving abilities and her drive made her excell in each and everyone of her search, and her love of water gave her the rear ability among SAR dogs to be able to search in water.
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/23/03, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheerio,

My hat is off to you. I don't do this very often because I have no hair (Wink)). I respect folks like yourself that work their dogs. I am in awe.

Bob
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/23/03, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheerio,

Does your dog point the victims when he finds them?

The Germans teach some of their wirehairs to track wounded deer or hogs. When the dog finds the quarry, he flips a piece of leather that is hanging from his collar (bringsel) into his mouth and returns to his handler. The Germans call this Totverweiser (dead game guide). Maybe you could use the Totverweiser for SAR?
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 03/24/03, 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be a VERY easy test for any dog with a little desire and willing to enter the water. If I read this the dog doesn't have to deliver just bring it in the vicinity of the handler and give up the bird without a fight.
I have usually been able to get 4-5 month old pups to do this if they have been introduced to water properly.

The fall test in Germany would require a dog to retrieve to hand a thrown duck over which a shot would be fired. The dog would then have to do a blind search of medium difficulty (50-70 yds) and then do an independent search for a live duck. In every case, the dog must sit and the duck must be delivered to hand.

For a grown GWP, the AKC water test should be a piece of cake.
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/24/03, 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The totverweiser has been used in SAR dogs through out Europe. But as in all good thing, someone has to find a fault (and there is always one), the method has been changed to the "bark alert" or the "refind". The bark alert is easy, the dog stays in front of the victim and barks to guide his handler. The advantage is that the dog does not get lost or distracted as he comes back, the victim does not have to panick seeing the search dog abandoning him, and the dog does not have to redo the job because the victim has moved while he returned to his handler. The "refind" method is similar to the German way but instead of dislodging the decoy attached to his collar, the dog comes back and sits in front of his handler before leading him to the victim. I prefer the bark alert and this is how Cheerio was trained.
GWP are fantastic SAR workers and I wish the breed was better known. They work with such a dedication, probably the same dedication you hunters witness days after days. So if you happen to have a dog with a lesser pray drive, why not considering joining your local SAR volunteer group... Wink
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/10/03, 7:03 am    Post subject: AKC GWP water test Reply with quote

One more AKC/GWP water test question. An upcoming GWP club hunt test is advertising the water test. I am going to enter my young puppy in JH. If I also enter her in the water test and she passes, will this water test pass be accepted for the SH or MH titles, which I hope she earns in the future?

Bob
dualgwp

PostPosted: 05/10/03, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pass once, good for life!
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/10/03, 10:39 pm    Post subject: Water Test for the GWP in AKC Hunt Tests Reply with quote

Thanks Bernee,

I am not much of a rule reader, much prefering to take my lumps while learning from experience. Can a puppy/dog be awarded a JH or SH without the water test pass?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 05/11/03, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to be "read up" on the rules than to be angry down the road.....

I believe, pretty sure, any Senior or Master Hunter need to have passed a water test to be recorded as such, no matter the age.

This is so new, even AKC is having bit of a problem knowing how to apply it.... but it's a rule as of June.

We (the Del Val club) have been told (and we have saved all the emails from akc) that we can have a "stand alone" water test. So, if a club want to hold just a water test, it's okay. But all paper work has to be sent in ahead of time as usual, and I would warn clubs doing this to be prepared for some grief. Again, this is new, and it's going to take some time for those that process the paperwork to hold events to get used to this being ok. We are the first,(the GWPCA) so we will be the test case!

Good luck, and let us know how she makes out!!!!!
Bernee
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Field Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: