German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Question on GWHP Coat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura

PostPosted: 03/18/03, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Question on GWHP Coat Reply with quote

Hello! I have recently purchased a beautiful female GWHP pup. She's about 5 mo old now. When I initially called on the ad, the owner told me she had a very "flat" coat, not the typical coat the GWHP has with mustache and all. They said that sometimes the GWHP don't inherit those traits. What I want to know is if this is true, and how often this happens. They gave me the puppy's AKC registration, with what appears to be official registration numbers for the dam and the sire. Still, I am left wondering...

Also, will I be able to breed this puppy when she's ready? Wonder if she'll be rejected because she doesn't have the standard coat or facial features?
Topdog

PostPosted: 03/18/03, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that dog hunts good, just breed to another good dog. Your bound to get some good pups out of the litter. There's plenty of folks breeding all kinds of coats so don't worry about that.
GWP Fan

PostPosted: 03/19/03, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did your dog come from? Who is the breeder? My GWP has a flat coat as well. Just intrested.
Laura

PostPosted: 03/19/03, 4:05 pm    Post subject: GWP Coat; GWP Fan Reply Reply with quote

Hi...I purchased the GWHP pup in question in Snohomish, WA. The breeders had the AKC reg., and the kennel was exceptionally clean, the animals extremely well cared for, so in spite of my coat concerns that our pup looked much like a short hair (I had one for 11 plus years, had to put him down due to arthritis, so sad), I took them at their word that she is a GWHP.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 03/19/03, 4:53 pm    Post subject: GWPs and coat Reply with quote

It is not unusual for a litter of GWP pups to have a smooth-coated puppy in it. The breed is actually not that old in the US and the gene pool simply isn't that big, so the coat trait is one of the hardest to capture and "set." A very experienced GWP breeder once told me "consistency and quality coat are the two hardest things to get in a litter."

I would, however, consider quite carefully before you think of breeding her. While the smooth coat doesn't make her ineligable for AKC registration, it is considered a serious fault. As we want to make sure we are breeding only the best to the best, you will want to do much testing/competing in various areas to make sure she has qualities that are strong enough to make up for passing on a coat fault to the next generations.

-Sheri
BBAdmin
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/19/03, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth coat ,flat coat with furnishing`s ,MAYBE,no furnishing`s I would`nt
breed it. The furnishing`s and a wire coat for protection are what set the GWP apart from other Bird-Dog`s of equal hunting ability!!
Black & White German Wirehaired Pointers
Rollick

PostPosted: 03/20/03, 11:35 am    Post subject: GWP's and Coat Reply with quote

While we're on the subject, then: Is there such thing as a Wirehair with too MUCH coat?
Cheers,
Rollick
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/20/03, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Coat`s Reply with quote

Sadly, Rollick there are a lot of of GWP`s out there with overly FUZZY coat`s! ( Just my personal opinion) Take`s a lot of stripping to make them look good. I have had them,but I`ll take a good HARSH, flat lying,
low matinence coat any day!!
Black & White German Wirehaired Pointers
dualgwp

PostPosted: 03/21/03, 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you even consider breeding any GWP, there are an awful lot of things you should consider. Temperment, working abilities, conformation and coat are just the beginning. No GWP should be bred before they have their hips certified to be free of hip dysplasia. No GWP should be bred unless and untill it is a proven working dog. We have enough pets out there, enough dogs in rescue and we don't need more.

There are smooth coated dogs that are bred,but you have to know the pedigree behind the dog, what it's littermates were, what its cousins are, and then you have to know all about the pedigree of the dog you will breed it to. A smooth coat is a major fault in the breed, it is not something we want. From time to time, we get them, and yes, they are GWP's. If you breed these smooth coat willy nilly, you will only get more smooth coated dogs, and then whole lines that may never be able to produce anything other than smooths coats!

Do we have dogs with TOO much coat? Sadly yes. But I think the coats on our dogs in general are getting better than they were 20 some years ago.

Take your time, enjoy your pup... breeding isn't all it's cracked up to be. Lot's of heartbreak, lots of money, lots of time...... and very little money in return. This is not a breed that is in high demand, so you better have those puppy buyers all lined up before you even think of doing the actual breeding.

Best of luck to you, have fun!
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/21/03, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you dualgwp. Dogs were bred with certain qualities, both physical and temperament wise, so that they could perform certain tasks. By breeding outside the developed standard, the breed looses in his work ability. While you will always have some "poor" dogs in some of the most carefully bred litters, why increase the chance to produce more pets often difficult to place. Those who want a smooth coat dog have a full range of other hunting breeds to consider. Just my 2 cents.
Dualgwp, just a question: do GWP breeders not concerned with the certification of the eyes as well?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 03/21/03, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some breeders probably do eye checks, but I have never heard of a problem with eyes in this breed.
Thyroid, yes... not a huge deal, but there are dogs with low or high thyroid..
Has anyone out there ever had a problem with eyes?
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/21/03, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on GWHP Coat Reply with quote

Laura wrote:

Also, will I be able to breed this puppy when she's ready? Wonder if she'll be rejected because she doesn't have the standard coat or facial features?

Unfortunately she probably won't be rejected, male wirehairs aren't too picky when it comes to a bitch in heat.
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/22/03, 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, that's funny! Laughing Laughing
Browndog

PostPosted: 03/08/06, 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GWP Fan

PostPosted: 03/08/06, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura, I wouldnt get to concerned yet. 5mos old is still quite young to be worrying about coat. My GWP didint get his furnishings untill he was 1.5yrs old and is still quite flat coated (although very wirey). So long as your pup gets the wirey harsh coat and excells in the field (which you wont really be able to judge untill after she is a year old anyways) you should be all right. Just keep in mind breeding is not something to be taken lightly, and GWPs are well known for having very large litters. In the seattle area you may have trouble finding (hunting) homes for 8-10 GWPs!.
Just my thoughts.
Hope she sprouts her beard soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: