German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Breeder refuses to compensate for bad hips.. What to do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wgonfan

PostPosted: 03/09/06, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Breeder refuses to compensate for bad hips.. What to do? Reply with quote

I bought a GWP a while back, the dog has since been diagnosed with Hip dysplasia. When I purchased the dog, the breeder gauranteed him against bad hips or any genetic defects. When the isssue was first brought to the breeders attention the breeder simply asked that I mail a signed letter from my vet. After recieving the letter from my vet the breeder still refuses to hold up thier end of the deal. x-rays have been made avialable. The breeder is now trying to turn it around on me saying that the dog "must" be living in a bad environment & that "bad hips are NOT hereditary" & that they owe me nothing. The breeder claims that they have spoken with other breeders all of which say that they shouldn't give me anything.

The facts are:
My pup lives in a great environment with plenty of room to run & play, he's fed quality foods & exercised daily.
The Pup cleary does have bad hip which are noticable even to the untrained eye on the xrays.
The breeder did guarantee the pup against bad hips or any other genetic disease.

It's been six months since the breeder was first informed. What do you guys suggest I do?
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 03/12/06, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find the breeder on the GWPCA website?

Does the breeder own both the sire and the dam?

Is the owner of the sire on the GWPCA list of breeders?

I would hate to purchase a dysplastic puppy. Can you tell me the name of the sire and dam so I can avoid buying a pup out of them?
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/13/06, 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume since you dont know what to do next, that your guarantee was just verbal, not a written warranty about the defects? If I had a written warranty, I would consult an attorney, & get the matter resolved!!
Black & White German Wirehaired Pointers
FCwire

PostPosted: 03/19/06, 2:50 pm    Post subject: Bad Hips Reply with quote

How has the whole thing come along since you posted your inquiry? Sure enough, hip dysplasia is a genetic disease, your breeder is crazy. How is the dog at work? Does he show evidence of dysplasia while in the field? X-rays may look bad, but how they look and how they act does not always match up. The opposite is true as well, some dogs show no evidence on X-rays, though can't walk up stairs. If you have a written agreement, take the SOB to court, if not, love the heck out of your dog and treat according to your vets recommendations.
Good luck,
-N
wgonfan

PostPosted: 03/30/06, 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No resolution yet.
to answer the other questions:
I do have a written guarantee.
The breeder is listed on GWPC website (thats how I found them)
Can't recall if the own both sire & damn.
IF this doesn't get resolved I will certainly let you guys know the line of which my pup came from.
My pups field work is really nice - for the 1st 20mins, after that he's really slow & outright tired. He has a bad wobble when he walks & has a hard time getting up & down from the truck of the couch.

I have spoken to an attny (I work for two law firms) but it seems that the logistics may be the biggest hurdle, being that I & the breeder live clear across the country from each other.

thanks for your concern

Cargo - male GWP
FLITTERBUG

PostPosted: 09/13/06, 2:29 am    Post subject: HIP PROBLEMS Reply with quote

DON'T LET THIS GO WITHOUT SOME KIND OF FIGHT...THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS AND WHY THERE ARE SO MANY "BACK YARD" BREEDERS....YOU BUY FROM FAR AWAY AND THEN THE OWNERS DON'T THINK YOU'LL PURSUE DUE TO DISTANCE AND YOU HAVING TO GET AN ATTORNEY IN THEIR STATE.....GO FOR IT...STAND UP TO THIS AND MAYBE THESE "BACK YARD" BREEDINGS WILL FINALLY END, OR AT LEAST SOME LIGHT WILL BE SHED TO THEM....
Wickwire

PostPosted: 09/16/06, 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered how breeders can GUARANTEE good hips. Yes, there is a genetic component to it, but it's not a simple dominant/recessive single gene trait. There is also an environmental component to hip dysplasia. What exactly did your contract promise? Money back? A new puppy? Were both parents OFA'd? Grandparents? I do hope you get this resolved.

Sandra Wickwire
wgonfan

PostPosted: 09/20/06, 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 8 months of annoying discussion & argument with the breeder she finally decided to give me 1/2 my money back. It's not what I wanted, but it will help pay for the corrective surgery.
TC

Cargo - male GWP
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/22/06, 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dog should have been replaced, Rolling Eyes at no charge and no argument.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: