German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Heartworm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FranH

PostPosted: 03/14/03, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Heartworm Reply with quote

We are/were considering a GWP rescue dog. We had visited the dog several times and we were becoming attached. However, the vet determined the dog had tape and heartworm. The tapeworm was apparently easy to deal with. We have real concerns with the heart worm. The dog was a stray, is about 2 years old and has "moderate" heartworm. We are active, can't guarantee a tranquil environment, and want a healthy dog in the long run. There is also a squeamish factor at work and I am concerned we will treat the dog differently. All this adds up to I don't believe it is in our interest or the dog's for us to take her. I am curious to hear some feedback on the issue though as far as other peoples'experiences with heartworm and permanent damage from it. Is there any predisposition to this in GWPs? I figure it was just negligence on the prior owner's part.

Thanks,
Feeling bad
wiredpointer

PostPosted: 03/30/03, 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adopted a 2 YO GWP with heartworms six years ago. Treatment wasn't cheap, but like you, I had gotten attached to him by the time I picked him up at the shelter and took him for his first vet visit.

My dog came through the treatment with flying colors and he seems perfectly fine now. He is 8 now and is still incredibly active. One vet mentioned he might have heard a slight heart murmur a few years ago but five other vets over the years have not heard anything wrong. He also had an EKG this year as part of his annual physical and it was normal.

As for the treatment itself, he had to stay at the vet for several days and they said to keep him calm when I picked him up, but if you know GWPs, you know that's impossible. It didn't seem to hurt him though. Smile

Good luck with your decision!
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/18/03, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Heartworm Reply with quote

I also had a dog with heartworms once. He went throgh the treatment while I was in Korea (wife dealt with it), BUT when I returned after 8 months he was no different than before. Yes, he had to stay in the vet a few days and stay calm for I think 3 or 4 more after he came home.
Hunters Edge

PostPosted: 07/03/03, 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only dog I have ever had that had heartworm was a beagle. Many years ago the only preventative was a daily and this I stopped in late November. In the spring right before we started up the season we always had the dogs checked and he had heartworm. Because of this and knowing that the larvae is still in the blood I keep all my dogs on heartworm preventative all year long now, they never come off it.

Any way he was treated and lived a healthy life. It was hard for him to go through it. He was indeed lethargic and was slow to come around. I guess it would depend on how far along the dogs illness has become and how successful treatment is. All of this will be a factor in if your dog will have the same energy and life expectancy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: