German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Introducing Max and myself (and a uqestion or 2??)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sundowner

PostPosted: 11/14/05, 4:49 am    Post subject: Introducing Max and myself (and a uqestion or 2??) Reply with quote

Hi folks, I am new to this forum, but I am sure glad I found it Very Happy
2 months ago we got ourselves a GWP pup which we called Max. He just turned 6 months a few days ago.
Max is an absolutely gorgeous, loving and sometimes boisterous puppy ( as all puppies usually are ).
There are a few things I would like to ask though,
1) I know all puppies pick up stuff and eat it, but I am getting hearily sick of my g/f ringing me at work telling me that there is a decayed, soggy 3 months old flat rabbit in his mouth and she can't get it off him ( he thinks its really funny !!!) How do you stop them picking stuff up and worse still , eating it (he pukes regularly afterwards on the rug near the fire Confused )

2) Max obeys basic commands like sit, heel and bed , but here it is ........WHEN WE ARE ALONE!!!! Out in the field he is great, but the minute other people/dogs/etc I have no chance whatsoever! Now, I guess this is normal for a dog his age, so I guess I have to be more patient Twisted Evil

Can I just take this opportunity to also say that Max was the best thing for out 2 and half year old daughter, she can lay on him, pull him, kiss and cuddle him and he just rolls his eyes LOL

I am now starting to train him to "fetch" and this goes reasonably well.

ohhh, before I forget ..... why are GWP's sooooooo stubborn and willful??? Very Happy Very Happy
Jon

PostPosted: 11/14/05, 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! First off, you need to understand we are dealing with a puppy here. So throttle back your expectations for now and start to take a longer view of where you want to be 3 years from now with this dog.
Then you need to make a plan of DAILY training and stick with it. Right now 2-3 short sessions a day will do it. Make them fun-the real priority is to get the dog focused on you and to associate reward with compliance.

Any dog this age that is bringing you what it finds is a treasure!!! and I don't care how old the carcass is. You must take whatever he brings and praise him once he has given it up n(so tell the g/f to get some rubber gloves!!). Do NOT reprimand the pup for this behavior. If he is food driven, offer food in exchange for his find. If he will not give it, you must calmly walk him down, no matter how long it takes. Its what you do when you get a hold of him that's most important. Don't scold, don't snatch his prey out of his mouth-simply hold him and pet him for 30 seconds and them make him release with a "Give" or "Out" command. Praise him only after he has given the "prey" whether on his own or by force.

No puppy is going to obey limited obedience training in the presence of other dogs, game, food, etc. Do your training away from these kind of distractions and then slowly start introducing distractions into short training sessions-a short walk downtown is always good, the week end farmer's market, and eventually an obedience class where the dog will be around other (unruly??) dogs in a training situation.

DO NOT lose your cool with this dog. Be calm, consistent and persistent. Your rewards must be at least equal to your correction. Make sure you never ask the dog to do what you can not reasonably expect him to perform and that you are ready to make the dog comply with your request. Let the dog be a puppy and pick your training moments when you know you can succeed.

Trust me when I tell you, that as soon as this young dog learns later in life that there is fresh shot game to retrieve, he won't be bothering with old carcasses anymore. BUT you do want him to know that when he brings and releases, there is a mountain of praise.
Sundowner

PostPosted: 11/16/05, 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Jon,
I know that I had to keep a check on my expectations but your reply drove it home even further. I hope you didn't think that I was reprimanding Max !!! We have a lot of fun together, more so, since I read your reply. He now comes back to me all the time.( sometimes with a litlle delay Laughing )
I try taught him how to sit with lots of rewards. "fetching" ( a pair of old socks balled up) he absolutely loves, even though he drops them back in front of me. He thinks it is a brilliant game as do I !!!
My vegetarian g/f has also read your post ( which I am glad about LOL). I asked her to do only short outings with Max as she just hasnt got what it takes.
Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated
Ingo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: