German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

in-house fighting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teresa

PostPosted: 08/16/05, 7:21 pm    Post subject: in-house fighting Reply with quote

I have a GWP bitch who is now around 9 and a half months old. Last friday night she and my 12 yo Lab got into a fight - started by the GWP. both ended up at the vets with stitches to the ear (GWP) and deep punctures (Lab). It has been almost a week and every time the GWP sees the Lab she is posturing and threatening the Lab with direct eye contact and hackles raised. The Lab is avoiding her like crazy and every time the GWP is out, she will put herself back in her crate - so it does not appear to me that the Lab is provoking this type of response. She does have arthritis and is very stiff and sore and consequently prefers to be left alone - something which has been frustrating for the GWP who wants to play all the time.
Since friday I have not let them be out together becuase the GWP still appears to have 'a bee in her bonnet' and have been walking them and toileting them seperately but am beginning to worry that this might also contribute to the problem. However, I do not want another fight.

Teresa
teresa

PostPosted: 08/23/05, 6:39 pm    Post subject: re: in-house fighting Reply with quote

thanks to those who have sent me advice - I can now report that my GWP bitch has come into season, which I am hoping is the source of this new found aggression!! she is still threatening the Lab whenever she sees her and I have kept them apart - any ideas on how to reintroduce them and when is the best time to do this would be appreciated.
thanks
teresa Smile
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/24/05, 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teresa
Here's my advice....
You have to get it through this youngsters head that YOU are the top dog, the boss, her Goddess, and that YOU make the rules, NOT her! Actually, you have to get it through your head that you are the boss and that you refuse to accept this behaviour. Once you decide, the dog will come along.

You are going to have to learn to read her mind, her body language and step in before, before she even gets to the point of attacking.

Watch her for eye contact with the other dog. If she starts to stare, lower her head, raise her head, walk stiff legged and or carry her tail extra high.... give her a swift and tough correction. This is when she is thinking about giving the other dog crap.... and you must intervene right then before it happens. Make her wear a leash in the house.. this way you always have a way to control her.

If she is in her crate and the other dog walks by and the youngster starts giving her nonsense, drag her butt out of that crate and let he know in no uncertain terms that this is not acceptable behaviour and if she keeps it up.... you will show her!

Get some empty soda cans, fill them with pennies and keep them all over the house. If you can't get to her, throw one at her and the same time you come unglued! Make her think she is going to die if she even considers taking action against the other dog.

Give her something to do, exercise her to the point of exaustion! Tired dogs are good dogs.

In time, all you will have to do is warn her when you see her tighten up.....

Watch the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Station.. this guy is really great with this type of dog! Watch his timing with his corrections, watch how he always has one eye on the dog.......it's all up to you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: