German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

HELP! Re: female pup and adult male dog!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Browndog

PostPosted: 08/04/05, 2:08 am    Post subject: HELP! Re: female pup and adult male dog! Reply with quote

This is my first post and I just want to ask for some of the excellent advice found on this website. Apologies if I appear to waffle. A year ago I had to rehome a beautiful male wire hair who was a year and a half old. My father had suffered a stroke and as I work as a nurse for the disabled about 70 hours a week, I found myself working long hours and coming home to nurse my father. So due to literally working 24/7 I decided to rehome my dog (Barney!) with the breeder. Barney went to a great home, so much so, that I felt so guilty and missed Barney so much that I offered to buy Barney back for 4 times what I sold him for and the owner refused, saying his wife had become too attached to Barney (which proved to me that he must have been well loved with the new owner). I resigned myself to this and spent a while looking for another wire and bought a female puppy who is now 5 months old (Becky!). Ironically, only a month after I purchased Becky, the owner of Barney phoned me to say that his wife is having a baby and they have decided to sell Barney to a friend but they thought I would take better care of him. When I got the call I couldn't believe that I would get to have Barney back! When I picked Barney up from the airport (1 month ago) he was in great shape and now being two and a half years old is a joy to have as he has settled down a lot and friendly as always. My only concern is with Becky, who continually harasses him, but Barney is INCREDIBLY tolerant of her and I think she has become the alpha of the two. Most of the time I have to have one inside the house and the other out (Barney is the one who is most often out as Becky whines so much). Is there anything I should be doing to reduce Becky continually nipping/pushing/charging Barney around (when they are on their own they are both very quiet and obedient). I didn't plan to have 2 dogs and perhaps I made an emotionally poor decision agreeing to take Barney back, but because he was my first wire hair and from the memories I have of him from day one, I couldn't say no. I should add that they have never had a fight and I have noticed Becky lying on her back at times when hassling Barney. I also don't leave toy's/bones lying around which could trigger a fight. Should I be taking them out and training them separately each day? Currently I take them both down to the local park/ creek and Barney bounds around like a greyhound while Becky chases him all over the place, however Becky is starting to focus more on 'Barney' than myself on commands. When I purchased Becky I read Larry Mueller's 'Speed Training' book before hand and Becky's obedience, even at 5 months is greater than Barney's (re: 'come here'). I want to improve Barney's obedience to 'come' as he becomes 'selectively deaf' once he's 100 yards away, but he is great on sit, down, stay. Becky is excellent on 'come' in just about 'every situation' when 'Barney is not around' (even when she sees other dogs) but I want to work on other areas (eg 'stay, heel, etc'). I think I made a mistake (on emotion) by getting Barney back, but he is such a relaxed friendly dog. Becky still sleeps in her crate at night (she has been crate trained from day one) and Barney sleeps on his dooza bed at night. Is there anything I can do to improve the situation to reduce the 'freight train' in the house and Becky constantly bullying Barney when they are playing off the lead, or is it just because Becky's in that puppy stage that will just take time. In the mean time I just want to do the best I can to improve their chances of getting along as I just couldn't part with either one, despite their current havoc.
Thanks for taking the time for reading my post and I'd be most grateful for any advice/opinions!
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/04/05, 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew....
I think Barney will tell Becky to knock it off when he is truly tired of her and your job will be to allow him to tell her off! Because he is a male, and she a well, a she, in all likley hood he won't hurt her, just let her know if doggie terms that he's had enough.

I do advise doing seperate work with them... take one for a car ride, out to the field wherever, but give them each individual time. You are already seeing Becky fixatiing on Barney, and ignoring you. Time to redirect this energy.

Sometimes when we have a group of dogs, it gets difficult to treat them all as individuals, but if we don't we end up turning them into a pack.

Relax, enjoy them both, but start taking them out alone. Good luck
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/04/05, 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought a bit more on your questions..... you know, when the bitch is bothering the make, this is a good time to do some serious obedience work with her.

Recalls.... downs and stays. If you can make her behave when she wants to play.... the battle will be won. Make her wear a long line so you have control. Now remember, all work and no play make a dull dog.. so let her have some fun...
Browndog

PostPosted: 08/05/05, 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my post! Today I took Barney and Becky out separately for a run and some training. Are you suggesting that I take them together and keep Becky on the check cord when training? (It took about 2 1/2 hours today after taking them separately and I want to do this every day!). Also when I'm home with them should I be redirecting/training Becky 'everytime' she hassles Barney (which is almost constant)?
Also, Barney's only behavioural problem I want to work on is that off lead and as soon as his training is finished 'HIS OFF!' I don't want to use an e-collar (unless advised). I'm just trying to be patient by calling Barney and rewarding him (a treat and lots of praise) when he returns, even if it's 5 minutes before he returns. The problem is that if he sees another dog he runs after them to say hello at the speed of a 'greyhound!' Should I now keep him on a check cord all the time when off leash until he becomes more reliable?
Sorry for the extra questions but I just love this breed.
Thanks again,
Adrian!
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/06/05, 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like both Becky and Barney need to be on a long line for awhile.
Here's how I do it.....
Have them on a long line (20 ft or so) call them once, repeat ONCE, and then go get them, drag them back to the exact spot I called them from, and then give them a pat on the head, maybe a cookie, and then let them loose again.

Let them wander a bit, call him once, if no imediate response, go and get him, drag him back to the exact spot, reward, release. Work on this for 3 or 4 recalls, then put them away.

The dog must respond to the Come command, they do not get a choice in the matter, they don't get to think about it.... they turn around and come to me. If not, I go and get them, eventually, they get it!

I think the biggest mistake folks make is that they "capture" the dog the moment they come back and then they put them on the lead. It's turns into punishment in the dogs mind. Let them figure out that if they come the first time, they will be turned loose again. Not a big deal, no yelling, screaming, no one gets mad. That's the beauty of having them on a long line... you can always get within 20 ft of them.

Eventually you start to shorten that line, 18 ft, 15 ft, 10 ft... then just a short tab hanging off the collar. They don't know it's not 20 ft anymore. Just make sure to do it gradually.

Long and short of it... this is the one command they MUST obey, every single time. If you will practice this several times a day for a week, I about guarantee you they will be well on their way to being good canine citizens.
Browndog

PostPosted: 08/07/05, 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again so much for the suggestions! I'll put them into practise this week and let you know how things progress. At home, I guess it's a case of also letting Becky grow out of her puppy stage as well? I will use this time in her life though to focus on training.
Kind regards,
Adrian!
deiter8

PostPosted: 08/21/05, 9:53 pm    Post subject: female pup and adult male dog Reply with quote

I have a 1y 3mo. old male GWP and a 6 mo. female beagle/basset/spaniel mix rescue. She came into my males home and took over. The first night she was scared of him b/c he is so playful, jumping all over her. The second day she was the alpha. She keeps him in line. She is a bit aggressive when they play, but they are just puppies playing. They play rough but they love each other so much. If she gets to aggressive I will let her know. She is a bit skiddish when we yell, so she listens pretty well. When he has had enough he pins her to the ground or jumps on the bed. I do put them in the same crate at times together and he does not tolerate her even touching him. He likes noone in HIS space. She respects him when she is in his crate. They have never hurt each other in aggression. She also sleeps in her own crate. I would not worry about it too much. She is still so young and it will take time for the puppy phase to slow down. I will give both of mine about 3 hours of crate time a day, even if I am home all day. She does not mind being in her crate, so if she is bothering my GWP too much she goes in the crate a bit longer. The pups get over tired at times and need to rest in their crate, just like a baby/toddler. I think you are doing great job. Have fun with them and remember, she will calm down sooner b/c you have another dog to help tire her out.
Browndog

PostPosted: 08/25/05, 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi deiter8,
Many thanks for your advice and sharing your suggestions. I've been training Barney and Becky separately and it has made a huge difference in terms of being fully focused on me compared to when they are out down the park together. Barney is improving on his recalls using a 20 yard check cord. I also use it on Becky (however she is excellent on recalls anyway). All up though, by the time I take one down to the park, train for 10-15 minutes and then have free play with each one down the nearby creek, it is taking me about 3 hours each day all up. Is there a way I can shorten this time (without sounding like a lazy dog owner!). I tried driving both of them down to the park and taking one out of the car at a time, then when finished I would swap over and take the other out. The problem is the howling and barking when either one is left in the car (and knowing that the other is with me) makes the locals think I've done something to the one waiting for his or her turn for training and a run. When I let them run together, Becky still chases Barney to nip and chase him. Also at home Becky is still very pushy, bossy and 'hanging off barney's face' half the time. Barney is 'INCREDIBLY PATIENT' and I they have never had a fight.
Despite Becky play fighting (she is nearly 6 months soon), should I be more punishing on Becky (I in no way mean hitting her)?
I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. If I'm being a poor owner (ie time wise each day training, etc) please let me know too. Apart from the 3 hours I put in each day, they are still around my father for more than half the day. I think he is perhaps part of the problem as he is quite aged and in 'his' mind, Becky can do no wrong.
Kind regards,
Browndog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: