German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Dull Coat - Food Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave1967
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/04/05, 9:39 am    Post subject: Dull Coat - Food Problems Reply with quote

I have a 2 ½ year old GWP; and I have gone through five different brands of food fighting a sensitive stomach. The Breeder had started the pup on IAMS and I continued for the first couple of months and when She started having trouble I begin the search for a food that would work for her. I finally wound up feeding Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach which is a Salmon and Rice blend. The S&S has solved her Stomach problems; but her coat is very dull and I am looking for suggestions for a food supplement to address this problem. Her coat is very good in all respects except for the dullness. The Pro Plan web page has this to say about the S&S food:
• Contains high levels of Omega fatty acids and a unique blend of ingredients for dogs to help reduce skin irritation & itching.
• Novel protein sources, including real salmon, help avoid discomforts typically associated with common food sensitivities.
My normal response would be to add Fish Oil to her feed, but since she is on a Salmon based food now I am hesitate to increase the Omega Acids. My first concern is connected to the “a unique blend of ingredients for dogs to help reduce skin irritation & itching, statement”. I received a “No Idea” response from Pro Plan. My Vet suggested adding a tablespoon of Corn Oil to her feed. Any thoughts?

Complete ingredient list for Pro Plan Dog Food - Sensitive Skin & Stomach Formula:
Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), tuna meal (natural source of glucosamine), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ascorbic acid (source of Vitamin C), ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil,
folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/05/05, 5:13 am    Post subject: Tone Coat Reply with quote

Dave1967
I feed my dog`s Tone Coat, its for shedding, dull coats,and dry skin. It really cuts down on the shedding in the house, I think! Check it out at www.happyjackinc.com I buy it from our local farm store,but have seen it in a few of the dog supply catalog`s. I pay $7.30 for 16 oz pump bottle, to give you idea of cost.
Black & White German Wirehaired Pointers
Waffenmeister

PostPosted: 12/11/05, 11:53 am    Post subject: An Idea Reply with quote

My dog is allergic to chicken, so I tried the Pro Plan SS&S too. I have since switched to the Pro Plan Natural Turkey and Barley. No skin break out problems and her coat looks great.
FCwire

PostPosted: 12/12/05, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try safflower oil, a supplement that you would probably find at any Walmart or nutrition store. 1 capsule/day will help, up to 1/meal, you can break open the capsule and pour on food if your dog has an aversion to pills. It may take a month or so before you see results, so be patient. Any new additive to her food could also affect her preexisting problem, so be on the watch for return of stomach issues - they shouldn't take too long to appear if they do! Good luck, N.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: