German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GWP & rabbit training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wgonfan

PostPosted: 06/30/05, 12:31 pm    Post subject: GWP & rabbit training Reply with quote

I can't find any books or articles on training a versitile breed on rabbits. Can some of you guys make a suggestion?

TC

Cargo - male GWP
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 07/01/05, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Rabbits Reply with quote

I would advise letting em work a few-half tame ones. Take to a field(pup cant see) make rabbit move at least 50ft into cover and bring out pup. His nose should lead to game, hopefully he catches it or has a great chase. Reward him. A few times and hell do fine. I use words like find the bunny or track track, for when Im in the field and jump one the dog doesnt see. You can teach dog to track with hot dog bits every 3 feet or so to teach em to use nose and keep head down.

Ive had mine run many, just like a beagle barking the whole time and rabbit circle back to be shot. I ran mine with beagles and had fun too. Thats how I do it. They usually arent as good as beagles but a select few are, mine cold tracked one this year-over 2 hours old. I jumped it while going to the duck blind, watched it run off. After duck shooting my DD took track naturally like it was nothing-it was 10 degrees outside. I was amazed.
Jon

PostPosted: 08/01/05, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! I wonder why there wasn't more response to this topic on this list.
Surprising Wink
Sundowner

PostPosted: 01/01/06, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am training my 8 months old pup NOT to go after rabbits as want him on pheasants and partridges. But I noticed (since I started taking him along to shoots - I am with the beaters - ) that he naturally points them and then of course wants to chase them. It was only today on a walk that he pointed nicely at a rabbit, but since I was on another planet at that particular point in time, I didn't click on and then he gave chase. However, he now comes back when I whistle !!
I think that GWP's have that in them anyway, and since it is fun to chase, maybe you could start with that?
Only my 0.02$ Laughing
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 04/25/07, 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that most GWP’s will hunt, track, chase and CATCH rabbits without much training or encouragement from you. The trick is to be able to call the dog off when you need to. Should a rabbet miss a step the GWP will have it. I had a young female this year jump, chase and catch a rabbet, and on the way back with the rabbet she honored a point that her hunting pardoner was on. One thing is that this breed will never cease to amaze you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: