German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Interested in Breed, have questions though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
utahscrum

PostPosted: 02/12/03, 1:07 am    Post subject: Interested in Breed, have questions though. Reply with quote

I am in the never ending search for a new family dog. One that I can continue hunting with and well suited for my family. Here's the problem- my wife is allergic to certain breeds. After consulting with numerous vets in the area, one re-occuring theme was a wire haired breed. Aparently the coats have less dander and shedding??? Can anyone comment? I am new to the GWP, but extremely familiar with the German Shorthair. What are the main differences? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Warm Regards
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/14/03, 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES to the GWP!

I'm an allergy sufferer as well. My sinuses and asthma react mostly to cats, however I do get skin rashes from a lot of dogs, especially dogs with a lot of natural oils - shepherds, rotties, labs, just about everything really! My last dog (what we guessed to be a wheaten/beardie cross) was the absolute best for my sinus and skin allergies. Now I've got a GWP and when I went to see her in rescue, I literally rubbed the inside of my arms all over her body and face to see if I reacted. I didn't. If she hasn't been bathed in weeks and is a little on the oily side (which is still WAY less than most dogs), I might get very mild reactions, but otherwise, she's great. And no sinus allergies. When friends come over with their GSP or vizsla, my skin breaks out a little. I also know from experience that an allergy like this is not something you can build an immunity to; you either react or you don't. Sinus allergies you CAN build an immunity to. My top two worst allergies when I was a kid were cigarette smoke and horses. My parents were chain smokers AND I owned and trained horses until my university days! I was able to build a certain level of tolerance when it came to sinus allergies. In fact, I own a cat as well.

Matea's shedding is minimal to non-existant, depending on the food she's on. We're still working out food allergies right now, so sometimes she does shed a little. But it's NOTHING compared to other dogs.

Since my girl sounds SO much like everything I've read about GWP's I think I can VERY confidently say they are PHENOMENAL family pets. We have a 5 yr old daughter and she can put Matea through her paces in obedience (and we've only had her 6 months!). Matea adores everyone in the family, respects them, and respects visitors, etc.

My only experience with a GSP is my friend's - Matea's age (1 yr). That dog is WILD! Her coat is a little oiler so I react, and she's a freak in the house compared to Matea, who - although extremely exciteable - is pretty composed in a house full of art and clutter.

In 6 mos of owning a GWP, I can safely say that - even though I HATE having to work with the hunting drive (although I'm finding it fun now!) and SWORE I'd never have another hunting dog - I'm pretty married to the breed now.

Plus, given the hunting instincts I've seen from Matea and everything I hear of the breed, you couldn't choose a better hunting companion. My fingers are crossed you'll find the dog of your dreams in a GWP!

Illona
oacona

PostPosted: 02/26/03, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Our GWP is the greatest pet ever - so affectionate and loving and playful and fun, the love of our life. We recommend the breed to any people who understand the commitment to exercise and constant affection and companionship.
Anyway, our GWP's coat is on the long side, and he does not shed AT ALL. Nothing. No oil, no stink either. But, from what I understand, a shorter coat, (some coats can resemble a GSP) sheds more. We do not have allergies, so I can't speak to that, but if shedding is part of the problem related to allergies, I can tell you that Kona's longish curly wire coat stays put -
Kasiak

PostPosted: 03/07/03, 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. One of the things that inspired me to the GWP breed was that somebody told me they don't shed! Well, we have one with a very long coat for the breed. Has gotten mistaken for a Griffon actually. And who ever said they don't shed .... well actually, mine does. With mine, it seems the more I bath and brush, the more she blows her coat. I have come to the conclusion sheding can sometimes be more dependant on the actual animal than the breed. We had a Chessie that constantly shed, I was so frustrated. That is one of the reasons we went to the GWP..... Well we do have some shedding with the GWP. AND our new Chessie has a very soft coat that doesn't hardly shed at all. Go figure that one!

However I just buy lint brushes by the case (we have no allergies) and will take the sweet GWP personality over any dog we've owned, shedding and all!
dualgwp

PostPosted: 03/09/03, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "general" the GWP doesn't shed like most dogs... either long coated or short coated. Sure they drop hair, all dogs do to a degree... but if you have ever lived with a Golden, or a Lab or even a Pointer,.... the Wire is a non shedding breed.

The nature of a wire coat is to grow, then die and then that hair has to be removed. Some will be removed by brushing and combing, some by running in the field. Some will of course just fall off onto the floor. But not in chunks, and not in bulk. To help with a coat that is "blown" (dead and needing to be removed) get your self a "hauptner undercoat knife"... this tool need to be run through the dogs coat about every 2 wks or so and it will help remove alot of dead hair. A good brushing will help, but just won't get it all out.

As far as allergies are concerned, I think each dog and each person are probably individuals and some may be able to tolerate them, and other not.

I wish I could say for sure that this is a non alergenic breed, but I don't know that that would be true.

Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/09/03, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GWP has a fairly short coat and does shed some. We also have a lab though, and as you've read before, the gwp does not shed when compared to the lab.

Dual-
Where would you find a hauptner undercoat knife??
Thanks-
Jen
dualgwp

PostPosted: 03/09/03, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hauptner can be found in most good catalogs, give Foster and Smith a try and also New England Serum.
Both companies have web sites and you should be able to order on line.

This little tool has a white plastic handle and comes in a left or right hand model...

It does help keep the undercoat down to a dull roar and will remove dead guard hairs as well. But, it's not really intended to remove much of the guard hairs... for that you want a good "stripping knife." Those can be found in either of those catalogs as well.
Justa GWP's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: