German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

A GWP puppy and a 12-year-old Weimaraner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDawgz

PostPosted: 06/12/05, 9:48 am    Post subject: A GWP puppy and a 12-year-old Weimaraner Reply with quote

I'm interested in getting a GWP pup this fall and have begun researching the different things I need to think about before the Deed is Done. While I was scanning the Internet, I came across this board and saw what a great resource this is! Wow! Shocked

I have two questions.

I am a young widow with no children. This fall, I am moving to a house I'm renovating that has 12 acres of woods. Perfect for pooches!

The house, however, is somewhat isolated and I want a GWP pup that will be protective. The GWP will, of course, live in the house.

I read something recently that gave me pause about the GWP. This article said Weimaraners (my only 12-year-old pooch) are considered "superlative" guard/watch dogs but ranked the GWP as "good."

I'm not looking for a GWP that's going to maul the UPS man. Smile I just want a dog that sounds like it means business when it barks. My Weim *is* effective at that.

So ... question 1: what are some thoughts that you GWP experts have about that issue?

Question 2: I have found a breeder with a terrific reputation that lives about 6 hours' drive from me in another state. I can't seem to locate anyone in North Carolina (where I am.) Any private suggestions would be terrific. (I got the name of these folks from three different Weim breeders I know.) The puppies are $800. My only problem is that they are not very good at communicating with me when I've tried to ask questions. They don't have a website, but they do have email. Yet, it usually takes them two to three weeks to respond (each time) to the *few* questions I've had. Is this a bad sign?

Thanks for any comments and suggestions. I really look forward to learning more about this breed that has captured my heart. Smile
Fuz

PostPosted: 06/12/05, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I cant understand whay people looking for a "GOOD GWP", limit themselves so rigidly to a certain area-" I want a breeder in the SC area" etc. For crying out loud people- you might have to drive a little way to get what you want! Believe me - its worth it to explore possibilities outside of the box you all put yourselves into! There might be a breeder 2 states away- - a six hour drive- or even across the country- that might have a dog perfect for you! There are ways of getting a puppy from a reliable breeder that maybe doesnt live in the next town.... My GWP's bark loud and long at the strangers that come to the door or up the drive- they wouldnt bite- but sure look scary! If a breeder wont return e-mails then you will probably get the same treatment if you got a puppy from them- do you want a source of info and help- or somebody that wants to mentor and share info- if they wont answer you now- what makes you think it will change later?? Fuz
Fuz

PostPosted: 06/12/05, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I cant understand whay people looking for a "GOOD GWP", limit themselves so rigidly to a certain area-" I want a breeder in the SC area" etc. For crying out loud people- you might have to drive a little way to get what you want! Believe me - its worth it to explore possibilities outside of the box you all put yourselves into! There might be a breeder 2 states away- - a six hour drive- or even across the country- that might have a dog perfect for you! There are ways of getting a puppy from a reliable breeder that maybe doesnt live in the next town.... My GWP's bark loud and long at the strangers that come to the door or up the drive- they wouldnt bite- but sure look scary! If a breeder wont return e-mails then you will probably get the same treatment if you got a puppy from them- do you want a source of info and help- or somebody that wants to mentor and share info- if they wont answer you now- what makes you think it will change later?? Fuz
GDawgz

PostPosted: 06/13/05, 3:55 am    Post subject: dogs and people Reply with quote

Many thanks, Fuz!

Smile

I am definitely committed to getting a good GWP and know that I'm going to have to drive to get one. I just wasn't looking forward to driving the distance with a 12-year-old Weim, my new GWP puppy, and my cranky 55-year-old sister (who has appointed herself as my driving companion for this.) Of all my traveling partners, my sister will be the most-vocal and the one who has to stop the most for bathroom breaks!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But ... I always like to "shop local" if I can. With my Weim, I was spoiled. You can't walk 10 steps in my area without bumping into a great Weim breeder. Smile

I'm happy to hear that the GWP will bark like he means business.

I don't hunt, but I am an active outdoor person, walking and running many miles a week. My Weim has never been a dog who liked to play, but she loves walking, running and getting into hiking adventures. (Even at her age, she still takes four 20-minute walks a day.) I'm hoping to get a pup with a sense of "wanting to do" rather than "wanting to relax." Smile
Jon

PostPosted: 06/13/05, 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my first question is why you would want to take on a hunting breed for walks, runs and wanders in the park. Sounds like you will be "breaking" your dog of the urge to hunt as the first order of business.

Don't do business with anyone that is not as interested in checking you out as you are them. What makes you think that this breeder would answer the phone at ALL if you have a problem later on or need advice. Find another breeder.

Personally, I would look at other breeds. There are some wonderful breeds that don't bring the prey drive, energy and intensity level. A GWP is way more active than the average Weim.
Fuz

PostPosted: 06/13/05, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Jon- but sometimes when ya fall for those funny-faces..... I think she should look into GWP rescue- they have a lot of great dogs looking for homes- many have NO interest in hunting and would love to be 'just a pet '. Many have been in foster care and the fosters know the quirks and the positives and can tell you. Rescue will also help to transport the dog to you without an annoying sister or a 12 year old dog along for the ride...Smile Best of all it would be saving a dogs life. Try the GWPRSQ@yahoo.com they are an awesome bunch of volunteers. It would also give that gal a great network of people to go to with questions- and be assured that she would get answered!
Fuz

PostPosted: 06/13/05, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Jon- but sometimes when ya fall for those funny-faces..... I think she should look into GWP rescue- they have a lot of great dogs looking for homes- many have NO interest in hunting and would love to be 'just a pet '. Many have been in foster care and the fosters know the quirks and the positives and can tell you. Rescue will also help to transport the dog to you without an annoying sister or a 12 year old dog along for the ride...Smile Best of all it would be saving a dogs life. Try the GWPRSQ@yahoo.com they are an awesome bunch of volunteers. It would also give that gal a great network of people to go to with questions- and be assured that she would get answered!
GDawgz

PostPosted: 06/13/05, 5:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks for a great idea! Reply with quote

Many thanks, Fuz, for your ideas! Smile

I had really thought that the puppy route was *the* way to go, but ... your points are well-taken.

Rescue programs provide a tremendous and valuable service. It's silly that I didn't think of that. Exclamation

Once again, everyone has been very patient with me, and I appreciate that very much. Regardless of the type of dog you have, dog people are the best! Very Happy
deiter8

PostPosted: 06/15/05, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be offended by anyones post on these boards, they are mostly hunting extremists. They don't like to hear this, but the majority of any type of purebreads purchased are not used for what they are bred to do. They are just companion dogs. I would say more GWP's are used for hunting than companion. My breeder sells MANY for companion only and the breeders are big-time hunters. She has no problem with her GWP's being sold for companion only. Our GWP doesn't hunt either. He is free to run and chase whatever he wants. We do all the dog activities with him as well and have another dog to keep him company and burn up more energy. He has a great life and is sooo excited every am to start the day. Also, they will loose a little drive to hunt when not hunted from the start, which is what you want. Jon mentioned "breaking" the dog of the urge to hunt from the beginning, which is what YOU want. I would not want to drive across the country either if I was in your situation, but you do want a great breeder. Rescue is a great way to go for your situation.
Good luck with your GWP if that is what you decide to purchase. They are like no other dog I have ever owned. They are one of the highest energy dogs, so make sure you are up for it. They are tireless and I can't stress it enough. I do love mine very much. He is a handful, but worth it.
DC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: