German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Nipping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emccraw

PostPosted: 06/07/05, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Nipping Reply with quote

I am the proud owner of a new GWP puppy. She is 3.5 months old and we love her. She is a pistol, energetic and loving. I can see progress made with potty training and the like, however she nips rough. My hands, ears, etc. With me this is not that big of a deal, but I have a four year old daughter and a two year old son. I know that my children are in training too: training on how to have a puppy. My puppy bowls them over and gives them nips that seem a little too rough to me. Not sure if this is a dominance thing or playing.

Any suggestions?

cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/08/05, 11:49 am    Post subject: Nipping Reply with quote

Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of wires! You will soon discover how very smart they are. As far as the nipping goes, you need to get after her everytime she does it - both my wires learned early on that biting me was not acceptable. I used a small bottle of Binanca (the breath Spray) every time they nipped me that got squirted in the mouth & I then held their mouth shut. It did not take them long to figure it out!

As far knocking your two young children down, you will need to keep her on a leash & teach her to stay off of the children.

Good Luck.

Cathy
deiter8

PostPosted: 06/15/05, 8:12 pm    Post subject: nipping Reply with quote

Wire Pups are fun huh? Mine did the same thing and I also have a toddler. It took a long time for him to learn. We used the bitter apple spray and leash when needed. When having two toddlers it is impossible to spray them everytime and keep them on a lease at all times. I assume your kids are around you at all times at home. When woud you have time to spend with your kids, do laundry, cook etc. with a leash in your hand, hehe? Keep bitter apple on every floor in your house and keep a leash handy when yours is getting out of control. I understand your pain, been there, done that. My wire is a year now and is wonderful with my child. No matter how much he is worked or ran he is into trouble daily. It is a struggle at times but so worth is when he sits up and kisses us forever. They look so innocent, but they are sometimes the little devils. Good luck with your little one. It does get better with the kids eventually.

DC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: