German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Help with rescue dog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rescuemama

PostPosted: 05/20/05, 10:09 am    Post subject: Help with rescue dog Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am new to this board but I am hoping that I could get some advice
I am the mama of 2 rescued GWP
Murphy who is a 3 year old GWP mix, and Malichi a 7 year old purebred GWP. The problem I am having is directing all of Malichi's energy. A little history, Malichi was only used for hunting, according to the gentleman I got him from he was kenneled and only brought out for hunting season, he has passed a vet exam with flying colors except for being extremly underweight, he looks like a refugee! He is never destructive and is very sweet and lovable with my whole family, but he paces constantly. With Murphy, he is very ball oriented we play fetch for hours, play hide and seek and agility etc... , but Malichi is just not interested, we go through our obeidence paces but even with that he will do it but he gets this look like jeez mom can't you figure anything else out! I know that they are a very high energy breed but I have not been able to direct his energy at all. I am not a hunter and all the hunters I know have never hunted with dogs, so what do I do with him? I want him to have a happy home and life but I am at a loss as to what to do? Any Idea's?
Thank You
Kim
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/20/05, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

Run the snot out of him. Id suggest go to the petstore. They sell a plastic device in a "Y" shape that you can put a tennis ball in. It allows you to throw up to 100+yds. and wont kill your arm. Id think 15 minutes of hard running(fetching) 2x/day will do what you need. He will want to drink and sleep afterwards I promise.
All you need is a park or field, ball and this device-its about $10.
This dog is bred to run hard for hours at a time-games or agility isnt enough and roading is long work. Sprint work will work. Incline hills are great too for fields.
rescuemama

PostPosted: 05/20/05, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to run him by playing ball etc... He is just not interested, you throw the ball for him, he stands and looks at you like hey you gonna go get that. I need something that will engage him and interest him. He has 5 fenced acres that he has full access to but he is bored with that, We are five minutes from the military reservation that they run the SeaTac GWP club field trials but seeing that I have only had him 2 weeks his recall is not strong enough for me to be comfortable letting him loose, this is why I am at a loss as to what to do with him

Kim
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/21/05, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

I only own dogs that will hunt and fetching is expected.
In your case, I would suggest a mountain bike(any bike) and leash him & off you go. Id think 2-4 miles will do it-warm up and then run hard, then cool down. Thats all I can suggest thats practical. 4-5x/wk. Good for you too.
Swimming is great-but again, if no fetching-makes it tough
walking just doesnt cut it, but better than nothing.
K2K

PostPosted: 05/24/05, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R-mama,

Probably part of the "problem" (things could be worse!) is that he's not used to being in the house after having been kenneled for 7 years. Give him time, he'll probably settle down a little more.

Have you tried a Kong stuffed w/ treats? My GWP has the large size, extra large is too big for her. I stuff it w/ treats that are big enough that I have to force them in, or some peanut butter. It keeps her occupied for a while anyway.

The bike ridiing idea is good, you can get one of those spring things that attach to the bike from the Drs Foster & Smith catalog, makes it alot safer. Would he go after a retriever bumper? They're pretty cheap. Get a light one, easier to throw. Or maybe one of those cloth/rope frisbee like discs. I throw mine at the ground and it rolls for a while. Simulates prey, I'd guess.

Hopefully he'll settle down after a couple more weeks....

Best,

Karen
cheerio

PostPosted: 06/02/05, 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacing is sometimes a sign of anxiety. He now has a new life and no matter how better it is, it can be dificult to adjust to. Dogs do best when they know what is expected of them. Being now offered a very different life, he may not have cued in just as yet what exactly you are hoping for in him, what he can and cannot do.
There are 2 ways to help in such situation, both of them involves spending time with the dog, not necessarily alone but time during which an activity will be offered. It can be walking, swimming, agility classes, I like the biking idea... Whatever will foster a bond between him, you and his new life.
In addition to this, you can try putting some Rescue Remedy (from Dr Bach) in his daily water (3 to 5 drops). This should help reduce his anxiety level.
The second choice involved the use of a special coller. Ir will have to be order as it is not sold as of yet in the US. This coller is impregnated with the hormone of a lactating female and has for effect to calm and settle anxious dogs, shy dogs, traumatised dogs and separation anxiety. The effect is fantastic and immediate. This also exist in a spray that you can put in the room where your dog stays.
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/07/05, 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rescuemama wrote:
I have tried to run him by playing ball etc... He is just not interested, you throw the ball for him, he stands and looks at you like hey you gonna go get that. I need something that will engage him and interest him. He has 5 fenced acres that he has full access to but he is bored with that, We are five minutes from the military reservation that they run the SeaTac GWP club field trials but seeing that I have only had him 2 weeks his recall is not strong enough for me to be comfortable letting him loose, this is why I am at a loss as to what to do with him

Kim

It took our rescued GWP a good 3-6 months to loosen up and "play". At first, he used to stand and look at us when we tried to play ball - fetch. He also didn't get into any toys (Also, expect he was kenneled a lot before we rescued and he was extremely thin). Indoors, he would just lay by my feet didn't really engage with the rest of the family.

Lots of attention and a very persistent yellow lab have helped a lot. Now he plays ball until he is tired (and then we get the "You go get it" look). And he has a squeaky pig doll with extremely long legs that he drags around the house.

I should also mention I didn't feel comfortable letting him off a leash at my folks' farm. We walked several weeks on short lead, then long - now, I feel I can take him absolutely anywhere on or off a lead. We've had him two years and he is a joy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: