German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GWP and Snakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/07/05, 6:19 am    Post subject: GWP and Snakes Reply with quote

I need to know how to correct, if I should correct or if I can't correct.

Situation: We have an overabundance of garter snakes (completely harmless) around our home. I routinely find them, put them in a bucket and haul them out to a local pond. The snakes eat the fish in my ornamental pond - otherwise, I'd leave them alone.

Of course, since my GWP is my buddy - we are outdoors together. I'm sure the antics of watching me chase down a slithering snake is pretty exciting to him. So, he has been more than helpful showing me where they are.

Problem: This spring, he has been absolutely obsessed with hunting and pointing snakes. I don't care how pooped out I've made him or what I'm doing...he will find a snake and point, and point, and point. If I ask him to "break" the point he will but just goes back later. I swear - he could stand on point for an hour waiting for me to get the snake. The problem is I do want what he has found - the snake! So, the game continues for him.

If we were only in areas where there were harmless garter snakes who are all show - no go - it wouldn't be a problem. But I am concerned about this new love for hunting snakes - especially if we are exploring areas inhabited by snakes that aren't so forgiving. And when he points a snake, his nose is right above the snake...easy strike distance.

I can give up actively collecting snakes in my yard - but it doesn't matter - they are there and Baron knows it. And frankly, there aren't any pheasants or quail in my yard...just snakes so this is the most excitment he gets. (We do go to a farm and hunt on a regular basis by the way so he has ample fur and feather opportunities).

How do you teach your GWP certain species are to be left alone without discouraging their drive to hunt? Do I just ignore him - doesn't seem right to scold him. Any suggestions?
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/07/05, 5:48 pm    Post subject: SNAKE Reply with quote

I HAVE NEVER broken a dog from this as I dont hunt in snake country-or if I do the weather is too cold to worry in SE Ohio w/ tiimber rattlers and copperheads.
I would encourage a strong correction, gauge response-thismonkey business isnt tolerated. If it carries on, make correction harder until they get the idea. You could ecollar and maybe time it, if you get an aggressive garter. I used to have em as a kid, and quite a few were defensive and would bite.
This behavior could get your dog killed-as in dead-as their are rattlers out your way. Its your dog, but I sure wouldnt let them get away with it if you dont want this to continue. Its pretty simple really. Discourage bad behavior.
Birds point=good
snakes point=BAD-suffer consequences
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/08/05, 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hopeful it is early enough to discourage him since he really started this about a month ago when the snakes started coming out of hibernation. GWP's are smart but dang, that drive to hunt is impressive!

So far, Baron hasn't dealt with an agressive garter snake but, our lab had one latch on to her nose so she hangs back. We'll work on it.

Just an FYI - like in Nebraska, you do have several poisonous snakes including Eastern Massausagu, Copperhead (primarily SE Ohio), and
Soni
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/08/05, 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(OOOPS - hit the wrong button) - didn't fix my spelling of Massauga

And timber rattlers in southern Ohio. Just a note of caution when you head out...

Fortunately, most of us in colder regions don't have to worry about these critters during hunting season. Only, when we go out to "play".

Thanks for your response...I'm motivated to get this behavior stopped!
gundogguru
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/12/05, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 ways to break a dog from snakes. We down here in the south have a real problem with poisonous snakes. so for use it is serious. Find a farley big snake the bigger the better. If you have an E- collar out it on the dog and crank it up. It works better if you kill the snake.put the snake on the ground and let the dog loss tell the NO or what ever command you wish. If the dogs gets to close light them up. a smart dog doesn't take long to stay away from the snake. The 2nd way is the ole timey way. And it is not pleasant. Take a dead snake again the bigger the better. Tell the NO if the dog gets to close you beat the dog with the snake. Like I said it's the old school way that they do it down here. I like the E-collar method better. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: