German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Still looking for experienced Wirehaired Trainer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColbyHammonds

PostPosted: 03/26/05, 12:29 am    Post subject: Still looking for experienced Wirehaired Trainer. Reply with quote

Still looking for an experienced German Wirehaired trainer. My puppy is currently 5 months old and in need of someone much smarter than me. We duck hunt and quail hunt just not together yet.
Anyone within 600 miles from North Carolina. Please provide references. Contact information colby.hammonds@us.army.mil or 919.818.3430.

Thank you,

Colby

My GWP will be used for both Ducks and Quails.
gundogguru
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/29/05, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby I have GWP's and have trained them for 14 years. I don't take clients any more or I would take your dog. You should try the Darby's In Walhalla SC. there kennel is whitetail I'm not sure if they have a website or not. Billy and Deb are both great people and they have nothing but wire's And do a great job with them. We ran together this past week end in a master Brace. Good luck Kevin
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/01/05, 6:34 pm    Post subject: GWP Train Reply with quote

I think you should join and talk with the NAVHDA group nearest you. You will learn to train your dog and develop the bond that goes w/training. A trained dog with an experienced handler often times isnt the best scenario-it beats an untrained dog, but youll have alot more confidence when you learn to train and do train your own dog. It teaches you to read him well in the field also-better than anyone else. Go to NAVHDA link and look for nearest chapter-they sell a training manual as well thats excellent for the novice as well.

As a 5mo, I would just let em be a pup, let him run with you in fields,woods, chase squirrels/birds etc etc. Later you can introduce to water warm weather, quail and chukar pointing and prepare for 1st hunting season. Let em retrieve rolled socks/balls and just have fun. Obedience basics are impt at this age as is socialization with dogs and people.
ColbyHammonds

PostPosted: 04/03/05, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no chapters in North Carolina however I have spoken to some helpful trainers in South Carolina. I’ve received a lot of advice on not rushing my puppy into field training. It is very important to me to do the right thing for this puppy. That's why I'm trying to find someone experienced with Wirehairs to assist with the training. In North Carolina there are not too many Wirehairs dogs. My normal Saturday at the lake consists of 1 out of 10 dog lovers even able to identify my puppy as a Wirehair. In the last year, I've only seen one other Wirehair. I want to be the best ambassador for the Wirehair breed as possible. I will try to put him on a trainer’s waiting list. Thanks for the advice.

whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/05/05, 8:56 am    Post subject: Trainer Reply with quote

There is a chapter in Charlotte NC and another in Mid. Tennessee. Go to Navhda link, and then to local chapters. They are listed by state.
You can find contact info there. Should help.
ColbyHammonds

PostPosted: 04/05/05, 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the Navhda web site. I've already made some telephone call to some local chapters.

Colby

Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/06/05, 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducks and quail. That is what I use my dogs on. There isn't a better breed out there for that combination. Good luck with your training and hunting.
FLITTERBUG

PostPosted: 04/12/06, 9:46 pm    Post subject: FINDING A TRAINER Reply with quote

Make sure that you get references, go look at the kennels, get a schedule from the trainer of what your dog will be doing during the day, also will the dog be left alone at any point, for how long, does the dog have times to get out stretch his legs with a good run and potty breaks, so many trainers keep their dogs kenneled all day and the dog is only allowed out for training sessions. They are left in their kennels in urine and their own fecies. Drop in unexpectedly, but do a COMPLETE check on your trainer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: