German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

How long is too long?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheamus

PostPosted: 03/08/05, 4:17 pm    Post subject: How long is too long? Reply with quote

(I'm starting to notice a trend in my subject lines!)

We currently have Sheamus up to about 6 to 7 hours a day home alone. He has been great (most of the time)....he's scratched the futon cover twice - and gotten up on it a couple of times. But, those aren't really my concerns.....

I guess I'm just interested in knowing what an "okay" amount of time is to leave your GWP home alone. Keep in mind we take him out for a good half hour walk in the morning, and we either run with him at night, or take him for a walk and then play catch for awhile. (So, he is getting good exercise.)

We would like to get him up to about 8 - 9 hours a day.....is that too long?

ME
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/14/05, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the pup in a crate so that he will not learn bad habits.

If you do this, when the dog is older, you will be able to leave him alone and he will have more freedom.

You can leave an adult dog up to 12 hours alone but I wouldn't do it unless you can't help it. 10 hours is not a problem for the dog if it is an adult. Remember if the dog gets bored it will get destructive and it may hurt its self. Crate until 1.5 years when ever alone then slowly give pup 4 hours here and there alone by its self to see how it does.

Mine never has to be crated now and when I come home that is where he is sleeping, usually upside down too! Rolling Eyes
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/15/05, 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheamus - there is some good information on this issue if you search on this board.

My own experience seems to differ from what I have heard others say. After 6 months my pup was not crated and has the run of the house and sleeps in his crate but the door is left open. He has an older dog as a companion and has many many toys to keep him amused. Other than the occasional box of tissue he has done no damage although anything tempting like shoes are kept put away just in case. I am also very careful about electrical cords so that none are exposed. The garbage must be kept secure otherwise he will have a buffet in my absence.

In my limited experience the key seems to be 'a tired dog is a good dog'. He gets lots and lots of off leash running before work and after I get home. I am away at work about 9-1/2hrs a day. He gets a chew treat as I am leaving so now it seems he just wants my butt out the door so he can get his treat.

When we are on long car trips to field events, etc. he is crated and
is fine with it. I know this isn't the normal scenario but I am glad
it works for us as I personally don't like the idea of a large active dog
being in a crate for such a large part of its life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: