German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Sheamus' story.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Rescue Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheamus

PostPosted: 03/08/05, 11:56 am    Post subject: Sheamus' story..... Reply with quote

Just thought I would share our story of Sheamus' adoption. Eric had posted him here. We weren't members of this board when it was posted, and, I didn't see the post until after we adopted him....so, I can't say that it was because of that post!

Anyway, my husband and I had decided that we wanted to adopt a dog after we ran our marathon on May 30th of this year. I was getting a little impatient and was surfing the Ottawa Humane Society website once in awhile. I came across Sheamus' information one night.

On our run the next day, we started talking about getting a dog in June, and how that might be difficult seeing as we had two road trips planned in July, and that it might be better to get one sooner so that we were more familiar with the dog, and the dog more familiar with us.

We both looked at each other and said....what are we waiting for then?! It was perfect timing...we had moved in to a new apartment two months ago, and had gotten married 5 months ago....it was time for a new addition to the family!

I called the Humane Society the next day to ask about Sheamus. The adoption counsellor told me about him, and then said the following words: "It will take at least a marathon runner to tire him out!" I was sold! We were warned that he is very active, was found as a stray and was probably about 5 years old.

We went in that night to fill out the forms and made an appointment to meet him on Monday night. (He was at a foster home.)

We were very excited/nervous all weekend! We went out and bought over $200 worth of equipment (leash, collar, crate, food et c.) so that we could bring him home on Monday (there was no turning back!).

When we went to meet him on Monday, he came into the "contact room" and was quite hyper for about a minute, then came over to me, sat under my legs and put his head on my lap. (I turned to my husband and said: we're taking this guy home with us!) We then went out to the run to play with him for a bit.

We were told that we could only foster him until Thursday as he was scheduled for neutering that day. (He had lost 20 pounds when he arrived at the shelter in December so he had to gain weight before he could have the surgery.) We brought him home and introduced him to our house. Taking him back in on Thursday was very tough....as we weren't going to see him again until Friday afternoon!

That was almost a month ago now (we adopted him on Valentines day), and he is fitting in quite well. He has only had two accidents in the house, and those were in the immediate days after his surgery. We still don't know his "sign" for having to go outside (we are in an apartment so we have to leash him to take him out - which is fine), but, we are learning. We have him signed up for obedience classes that start next month, but, he has already mastered "sit", "stay" and sometimes can do "come."

We've taken him to the off-leash park twice....and only had a few concerns - when he runs out of sight, we get quite worried, but, he does come back.

Other than that.....he is a great runner (pulls a lot - we are way too slow for him!), and we love him to pieces!

Having never heard of this breed until we started considering getting Sheamus....we are thrilled with him!

Cheerio - the shelter named him....and we kept the name!

cheerio

PostPosted: 03/25/05, 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wonderful to see him so happy. Being on the rescue list, I followed his life a little and was thrilled to hear that you had adopted him. I am sure that he feels that he was at least as lucky to have found you as you feel you are to have found him. May you have a very long road together.

BTW, when it comes to knowing "his signs" to let you know that he wants to go out, have you thought of putting a bell on your door? Dogs usually realize that the bell rings every time you open the door and are fast to make it ring when they want the door to open...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Rescue Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: