German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

How cold is too cold?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheamus

PostPosted: 03/04/05, 2:24 pm    Post subject: How cold is too cold? Reply with quote

Having just adopted our GWP (see post about running here!), I have been wondering how cold is too cold for him. We live in Ottawa, Ontario....so, Cheerio (being Canadian) might be the best person for this question!

It has been as cold as -25 C (-13F) some night when we take him for a run/walk. He will sometimes start lifting one of his back paws and hopping on the other three......we figure that is a sign, and take him in right away.....

Does anyone have jackets for their GWP? Is that something that we should think of?

Eric
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/04/05, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! I am soooo happy this fine fellow has found a home.

I live right near Ottawa also and know the meaning of the word 'cold'.
If your boy is walking in road salt this will bother his feet more than the cold. You can buy dog boots (MuttLuks) if this is a problem. I take my year old pup out for walks regardless of the weather and have only seen him hobble if he is taking a extra time to do his business. Seeing as you have only recently adopted I'm guessing that he hasn't had much of a chance for his feet to get used to long walks in the cold. I don't think you have to worry about getting him a coat providing he is active when you are outside but you might want to keep an eye on his ears if there is a bad wind chill. I take mine when I go cross country skiing and he will be running literally for hours. I think you have made a great choice for a cold weather running companion.

Good luck and happy trails with your new buddy.
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 03/07/05, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!! It is great to hear of a happy ending when it comes to these guys finding a home!

We live in the states but have a year round cabin near the Canadian border and have had the same experience with our GWP with those extreme colds. But unlike you we just sit by the fire instead of heading out into it! LOL!

I would guess that his coat will be fine for the cold but maybe like Eric said you might want to try the dog booties and see if that helps. I know that some mushers use these on their sled dogs when it gets extremely cold.

Good luck and enjoy that boy and I'll keep my fingers crossed spring comes early for you!
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/07/05, 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken mines as far as -40 C! As long as they are active they are fine for a good 30 minutes I have found. If they are not happy to be out, they usually show it on their face and by the way they hold their heads low. I do put bootties on them and make sure the hair under the paws between the coussins are trim very short so no ice balls can form there.
I have never put jackets on my dogs, except for the SAR vest, or on occasion the back pack. I was told once that if the dog has a good coat, they are warmer without a jacket than they would be with one. So I never used one...
The GWP is a very well put together dog, very solid and very endurent. I would imagine that a walk by -25 should be easy enough for them...
Now consider that your dog has spent time indoor for the past few months and that he may need to be acclimatized a little before re-finding his comfort in the bitter cold Canadian winters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: