German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

sleep... come out come out where ever you are.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wgonfan

PostPosted: 02/22/05, 9:24 am    Post subject: sleep... come out come out where ever you are. Reply with quote

Since I got my new pup I have been reduced to about 3 hours of sleep a night. At first it was no biggie, but it's worn on me & my job is starting to suffer from it.

My now 10 wk old gwp barks like crazy when put in his crate. I have done several things to ease his discomfort with the crate such as moving it to diffrent locations & rooms, adding more toys & snacks, adding diffrent bedding, & several other gimicks. The problem is that the problem seems to be getting worse. I think he has learned that when he barks I let him out of the crate - becuase I was having a problem with him using the bathroom in the crate & laying in the mess so I was letting him outside to go "potty" every time he would start barking. The problem I have now is that he barks all the time so I never know if he is barking becuase he needs to go out or becuase he wants out.

So I actually have two problems I need to Solve #1 is I need to get some of my sleep back.
#2 I need to help him learn not to potty in his crate & to bark when he needs to go out.

When I got the puppy I expected some lose of sleep & lots of messes to clean up. I expected torn up furniture chewed up shoes & chicken thieven. The thing that concerns me is that after 3 weeks of consisient training his shows no improvement & his barking has actually gotten worse.

Cargo - male GWP
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/22/05, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also had this problem and first I had to downsize the crate. Once she was in a crate that she did not have enough room in to lay down opposite the potty mess and had to actually lay in it she stopped that. We had to just put her crate in another room close the door and close our door and ingnore her to get her to stop howling in her crate. It took a few nights of ingnoring her to learn that we were not going to cater to her. Now that she is older she goes to her crate on her own and gets in there and waits for us to close the door. It takes lots of patience on your part to retrain your dog to sleep throught the night and to let you sleep. I hope this helps.

Denise
wgonfan

PostPosted: 02/22/05, 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I've tried resizing my crate & he still lays in the mess regarless of the room he has.

Cargo - male GWP
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/24/05, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Sleep or lack of Reply with quote

Hi,

First, you were correct in thinking that you would lose some sleep with the new puppy, they are like babies and wake up ever two hours to go out. My now 2 1/2 yr old female was just like your guy when she was young except that she never would go potty in her crate - she would fuss when I put her in there in the beginning & I would march back to the crate, bang on the top of the crate & tell her in a loud voice to be quiet & go to sleep. She learned very soon that if I came back that it was not going to be a good time for her.

Also, try to get your puppy tired before you go to bed - play frisbee or ball & wear him down. Right now you have created a monster & it will only get worse.

I have two wires & they both sleep in their crates - the young one & the 10 yr old.

Remember, you are the boss!

Cathy M.
cheerio

PostPosted: 02/25/05, 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually at 10 weeks, very few pups can be clean. Most cannot start learning up until 12 weeks and many not until 16 weeks, especially males. It is actually a good cue for you as once puppy is clean at night, he is ready to be house broken.
Your pup obviously is not there yet. So the first thing to do is, as AmmoMike suggested, to make sure that you do not have a crate to big.
Then decide of where you want his crate to be during the night.
You may also start easing him into the crate for short period of time during the day. If he resist, you can put the crate in the kitchen area and put his food next to it, door open. After a few days, put the bowl inside the crate, close to the opening. Then, progress by putting the food at the far end of the crate. Once he is confortable, call him for his diner, tell him "In your crate" and put his bowl in the crate. As he follows, tell him "Good boy, you go eat" and close the door. As soon as he is done, open the door and put him out to take care of business.
During the night, put the crate back where you want it to be and do not give him any treats or toys. He must understand that the night is ment to sleep and not to play. As you put him in his crate for the night, tell him "In your crate, go to sleep". If he starts crying, put a big conforter over it (while saying "No, go to sleep") which will isolate him a little and will cut the sound so that you can sleep. After 3 night, he will have learnt to accept the crate.

Good luck
wgonfan

PostPosted: 03/04/05, 1:08 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Cargo is doing much better, & only wakes up once one most nights, sometimes twice. The best thing of all is that he doesn't "go" in his crate anymore. Cargo is also more willing to get in his crate.

Thanks

Cargo - male GWP
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/07/05, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news! Congratulations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: