German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Running with a GWP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephan

PostPosted: 02/21/05, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Running with a GWP Reply with quote

I am interested in buying a GWP, but need to have some advice before looking for a breeder:

The GWP would not be used as a hunting dog, but as a companion for running daily. I run 6 times a week distances between 6 and 15 Miles. Does a GWP can run so far every day? Is the dog still healthy after a few years?

In addition, we have three kids (4,6,6) and the dog should be also friendly to our family. I read several comments and learnt that a GWP likes to stay with kids. Is this correct?

Thanks for any responses.

Stephan
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/24/05, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Running with a GWP Reply with quote

Hi,

The GWP was bred to hunt birds all day so running for miles on end is not an issue. You should wait until they are at least 2 yrs old before you run them on concrete or asphalt.

If they are raised with children than you should be fine in that area.

Just pick a good breeder & do your research before you purchase one. Ask for references & call them to see how the previous litters have done.

Cathy M.
Fuz

PostPosted: 02/24/05, 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running on hard surfaces will really take a toll on the joints- I cant see the dog refusing to run, but since you are the smart one of the pair you should be looking for somewhere to run thats kind to a dogs moveable parts. Like Cathy said- they will hunt all day- stamina is not the issue- surface is. They dont hunt all day on concrete. Also keep in mind the double-coat- my guys get overheated very fast in the summer months when they exert a lot of energy-running that many miles could easily get you a dog with heat stroke in the warmer months.....
Trilini

PostPosted: 02/25/05, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Running with a GWP Reply with quote

You've made a great choice in the GWP for a running companion. I've run with both of mine. I run 3-4x/week as part of triathlon training, up to 2 hours at a time. The only time my GWP balked is when I ran with her when it was too warm. She can go forever as long as it's not too hot. I try to avoid hard surfaces for my knees so she doesn't run on asphalt. My experience is that they like to run and hunt along with their person but don't necessarily like to pace along with their person. They are pleased to play while you run and must know where you are at all time, and come readily but don't like to slog along just next to you. I think they find that boring. My suggestion is to check rescue. We got our girls through rescue and couldn't have better, more delightful friends. Through rescue they are often great runners and family dogs just not necessarily great with guns or hunting but still have everything it takes to be your best friend.

Good luck,

Pat
Sheamus

PostPosted: 03/04/05, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just adopted Sheamus (our 5 year old GWP) from the shelter and have started running with him. We are clearly not fast enough for him Laughing as he pulls and pulls and pulls....but, we are working on training him.

I am proud to say that he was tired last night! Smile

Trilini

PostPosted: 03/04/05, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Oh my, he is beautiful Reply with quote

Congrats! He may be pulling because he wants to explore. I hope you live in an area where, once he's reliable @ coming when he's called, you can let him off lead. Mine just jog along with me, run ahead, run back. They always know where I am but like to check stuff out too. The GWP seems to always want to know where his person is.

Pat
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/07/05, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Sheamus is beautiful.
BTW, Are you aware that you can buy a special device made of a padded belt and a leash to go running (or skying) with your dog? THey are great stuff for the dog that like to be ahead and the runner who wants to keep his harm and showlder... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: