German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

curious on training literature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D_Beck

PostPosted: 01/24/03, 6:48 pm    Post subject: curious on training literature Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm 5 or 6 weeks away of taking possession of a GWP pup and am trying to be prepared when i get him. A little background on the pup. My brother has had a GWP for 4 years, great dog, love the companionship she(Greta) has with my neice and nephew and the rest of my family. Really looking forward to having a GWP of my own, but want to make sure im prepared. I've considered finding a trainer to train him, but have decided to give it a shot myself. My brother is keeping a pup as well. I've been looking for training books or videos to get a jumpstart on the pups arrival. I found one book by Paul Long, that I've enjoyed and will use. I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions of books or videos, websites.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2thepoint

PostPosted: 01/24/03, 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat. I got Larry Mueller's book, Speed Train Your own Bird Dog, dont let the title fool you. The speed is not about getting the dog trained fast but is more to the point on not making mistakes that take more time to correct. It is the only book I have read so far and have been ridiculed on another form for even considering it because it had the word speed in it, but when I read the threads from the professional trainers on that site they seem to say a lot of what Mueller's book advocates. I think it is an extremely good book for a first time trainer. No e-collars and lots of emphsis on praise, patients and reward. I was informed to watch vidios and read other books from other trainers so my public library has some on reserve, they just called me today and said they were back so you can guess what I'll be doing tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.
Best of Luck
D_Beck

PostPosted: 01/25/03, 5:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks...it always helps to have an author or a title...the book i refered to by Paul Long is titled,"Training Pointing Dogs-all the answers to your questions." It is a good book and i can appreciate the way he trains.I have trained labs before but not a pointing dog. Thanks again and I'll keep in touch if I find anything really good.

Darin
K2K

PostPosted: 01/27/03, 3:57 pm    Post subject: Joan Bailey's book Reply with quote

Helping Gun Dogs Train Themselves (or something real close to that, I never can quite remember the title exactly).

It is an EXCELLENT book! It is about preconditioning pups in a way so that they really don't know they're being "trained."

Joan Bailey has WPG's, and her husband, Dr. Ed Bailey, contributes to Gun Dog magazine.

I recommend it highly!

The Paul Long book is also very good.

Also, check your library for training books. That way, you can see if you like them before you buy them.

Karen
Brandon Ward

PostPosted: 01/28/03, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree on the Joan Bailey(how to help gun dogs train themselves) book I just got done reading it and already reading over it again very well done. Another book I recommend would be The best way to train your dog the Delmar Smith method by Bill Tarrant. And If you have a VCR chances are that you do, I would recommend The Janet Nahorn video Training for silent hunting no whistle no whoas! She is a gwp breeder and this video is good, it shows retreiving, both land and water intro to birds etc etc... Just a start. Good luck. Also personally havent heard anything positive about the Gun Dog series of books and videos. You can buy the video @ masoncreek.com
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 01/30/03, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a good training book like "The Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog" or the NAVHDA training book. But don't forget the most important part of your dogs training. The pup needs to be taken to the field early and as often as possible. When in the field just let the pup run and encourage it to find and chase wild birds. There is no substitute for teaching a pup where wild birds live and how to handle them. It will teach your dog how to reach out and find birds and what type of cover the birds live in. They will learn how to use their nose to wind scent and to track the birds. They will also learn that they can't catch wild birds and how close they can get before flushing them and will start pointing them. On a warm day you can end by the water and let your pup learn the joy of a good swim on a hot day. If the pup comes from good bloodlines and gets proper exposure to wild birds they will become a good hunting dog.
D_Beck

PostPosted: 01/31/03, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks a million everyone for giving me a few ideas. I'm sure youll be hearing from me a lot more in the near future. Very Happy

Thanks Again.
Darin
Hie-On!

PostPosted: 02/20/03, 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Training the Sporting Dog" by Donald Smith and Erv Jones is an excellent book. It's extremely detailed and has many photos to help. It worked for me.
Vom Britt
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/21/03, 2:02 pm    Post subject: Training videos Reply with quote

Darin,

Videos are another option. Brandon mentioned Delmar Smith, which is good. Some other pointing dog videos which I have and like are George Hickox's Training Pointing Dogs,and my favorite Training Setters and Continental breeds with Sherry Ray Ebert.

Tri - Tronics has a good one on the Trained Retrieve with Jim and Phyliss Dobb's. Part 1 is on hold and Part 11 on fetch.

I play NAVHDA games which requires extensive water work and purchased these videos on retrievers. Mike Lardy, a very well known retriever pro has excellent videos. They are, a three set called Total Retriever Training, another three set Total Retriever Marking and his most recent, Total E-Collar Conditioning.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: